• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Su'a Cravens is now beginning his transition to strike safety and is penciled in as the starter at that position for 2017.

Has anyone figured out why is there such huge disparity between the level of our run-blocking and our pass-blocking ?
If anything, shouldn't it be the other way around ? Run-blocking is supposed to be easier for linemen than pass-blocking, right ?

Don't we signal to the other team what we are doing? That is, we go shotgun in our pass happy offense. Then behind center to run. So unless Kirk runs more plays under center, they know what we're going to do. Doesn't seem to be rocket science to me.

If I were coach, I would be putting Kirk under center the vast majority of the time. Only under center can you effectively run play action. We don't do it at all. Hence no threat in the running game and the running game doesn't help the passing game. So defenses can tee off on the Oline whenever Kirk is in shotgun.

In our system, we use shotgun so that Kirk can read the secondary and make all his progressions. That takes too much time and won't work under center. Under center, you have to have a "go to" receiver, the number 1 route is the go to guy. If covered then you go to #2 or #3. We seem to send 5 guys have kirk read all those routes. There isn't enough time for that under center. Its a scheme flaw if you ask me.

If we somehow end up in the playoffs and even upsetting Dallass in the playoffs, Kirk Cousins becomes a top 5 paid QB.

If we do not, he gets franchised again. I do not see a long term deal coming.

Last edited:
It's so weird how when McVay pulls his head out of his ass and runs we win?!?!

Chicago is a shit team I know, but hopefully Bruce or Mcluvs put the proverbial horse head in McVay's bed this week. Seems to "get it", for a game at least.

"it's easier to run the ball when you have a lead"- Jay Gruden,post game.

Sure Jay. But the real test is having the testicular fortitude to stick with it in a one score ball game.....something you guys have shown that you cannot do.

If we somehow end up in the playoffs and even upsetting Dallass in the playoffs, Kirk Cousins becomes a top 5 paid QB.

Yeah, well you thought Hilary would win...

Not sure I follow the logic. Kirk has pretty much done this year what he did all of last year. Setting aside post-season and 'big game' criticisms (which lots of great QBs have also had saddled on them), what more does the guy have to do to get a deal? I'm thinking he'll get a deal and damn well deserves one.

Not sure I follow the logic. Kirk has pretty much done this year what he did all of last year. Setting aside post-season and 'big game' criticisms (which lots of great QBs have also had saddled on them), what more does the guy have to do to get a deal? I'm thinking he'll get a deal and damn well deserves one.

its easy to be armchair GM and coach and saying this needs to happen or that needs to happen

I thought this was a real growth game for Kirk. He showed slot of poise under pressure. Not only from a very fiesta Bears D, but also in a high pressure must win game coming off what was probably his worst game of the year last week. He showed some really nice judgements this week on when to throw, when to hold it and run, and when to get rid of it.

Game was super balanced too. Here's hoping McVay and Gru finally learn from this one.

I'll admit I was a little worried at halftime when we almost saw the strategy of having the ball first look frightening. When they TD'd just before the half and I knew they had the ball after it I was thinking suddenly it would be a 3pt game. I was expecting a second half dogfight.

Did not see all those interceptions coming. But then neither did Barkley. THAT was the Norman/Breeland combo I thought we'd get this year. Just took till the 15th game to materialise! Lol

Good win for us.
And now we're GUARANTEED our second consecutive winning season!!!

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's so weird how when McVay pulls his head out of his ass and runs we win?!?!

Chicago is a shit team I know, but hopefully Bruce or Mcluvs put the proverbial horse head in McVay's bed this week. Seems to "get it", for a game at least.

You coach to win not for balance or anything else if a team is strong against the run but weak against the pass do you keep running the ball? Same is true in reverse.

Yea I don't agree with "sticking with the run", if your running game is weak, and/or the run-defense is strong.
The run game isn't going to just magically progress beyond the talent of our opponent, within the same game.
There's games we didn't run the ball much, but we were averaging less than 2 yards a carry.
I don't see that changing, just as a result of "sticking with it"

Yea I don't agree with "sticking with the run", if your running game is weak, and/or the run-defense is strong.
The run game isn't going to just magically progress beyond the talent of our opponent, within the same game.
There's games we didn't run the ball much, but we were averaging less than 2 yards a carry.
I don't see that changing, just as a result of "sticking with it"

No....you're not understanding where the "run the ball" crowd is coming from.

As a coach, you cannot say "we need to get back to the run game and get physical" and then come out and have games where you attempt ONE rush in a whole quarter.

That's our beef. How in the hell do you know whether or not the run game works when your back has only 14 attempts in one game?

It's the lack of commitment more than anything else.

Today vs the Bears was the first time in a full month where the offense wasn't one dimensional.

That's too far and in between.

I don't think rushing a few more times against the number 3 rushing defense would have made that much of a difference. Now when we had ole ball coach go into Jacksonville and there run defense was a sieve and the passing defense is stout and we barely run against them that is a cause to complain

You coach to win not for balance or anything else if a team is strong against the run but weak against the pass do you keep running the ball? Same is true in reverse.

Week
1. Pit. 12 rushes 55 yds. Loss
2. Pies. 17 rushes 82 yds. Loss
3. NYG 30 rushes 90 yds. Win
4. Cle. 26 rushes 125 yds Win
5. Bal. 20 rushes 60 yds. Win
6. Phi. 33 rushes 230 yds Win
7. Det. 29 rushes 130 yds. Loss
8. Cin. 31 rushes 100 yds. Tie
9. Min. 28 rushes 128 yds. Win
10. GB. 30 rushes 151 yds. Win
11. Turds 19 rushes 56 yds. Loss
12. AZ 18 rushes 87 yds. Loss
13. Phi 23 rushes 107 yds Win
14. Car 13 rushes 29 yds. Loss
15. Chi 35 rushes 208 yds Win

Sorry man gotta respectfully disagree here. My answer is yes, you do keep running it regardless if the other team has been stopping it.

We're 8-1-1 when we run the ball 20 or more times a game, which is ridiculous considering McVay's recent playcalling. That's only 5 per quarter and our staff doesn't even manage that consistently.

The balance is winning, or atleast the running portion makes it damn probable.

Last edited:
Week
1. Pit. 12 rushes 55 yds. Loss
2. Pies. 17 rushes 82 yds. Loss
3. NYG 30 rushes 90 yds. Win
4. Cle. 26 rushes 125 yds Win
5. Bal. 20 rushes 60 yds. Win
6. Phi. 33 rushes 230 yds Win
7. Det. 29 rushes 130 yds. Loss
8. Cin. 31 rushes 100 yds. Tie
9. Min. 28 rushes 128 yds. Win
10. GB. 30 rushes 151 yds. Win
11. Turds 19 rushes 56 yds. Loss
12. AZ 18 rushes 87 yds. Loss
13. Phi 23 rushes 107 yds Win
14. Car 13 rushes 29 yds. Loss
15. Chi 35 rushes 208 yds Win

Sorry man gotta respectfully disagree here. My answer is yes, you do keep running it regardless if the other team has been stopping it.

We're 8-1-1 when we run the ball 20 or more times a game, which is ridiculous considering McVay's recent playcalling. That's only 5 per quarter and our staff doesn't even manage that consistently.

The balance is winning, or atleast the running portion makes it damn probable.

our strength is passing. What has afforded us to be able in those wins to run more is close games and leads. We complain about coaches round peg square hole decisions then clamour for it.
If a teams weakness is its passing defense and strength is its running defense are you going to run or try try to pass your way to victory?
In today's game in the second half they were able to rush more because of the sizable lead we had but if we had a 3 point lead I doubt we rush as many times in the second half.

If we don't sign Kirk, I think someone else will. I've been critical of him all season, but that has a lot to do with reading about the game than watching it, and reading that we can't get a TD when the bal is inside the red zone is disturbing. I blame the QB, but his overall stats, and team records, tend to differ from my opinion.

With the Gnats next week, and them coming off a loss, it will be close but unfortunately, they'll take the candy. We HAVE to win, no doubt about it, to be play-off bound. We also have to rely on the Packers losing.

We're 8-1-1 when we run the ball 20 or more times a game

That stat can be very mis-leading.
You can interpret that as "rushing the ball more results in a win".
Or....."we're leading more in the games that we win, so we end up rushing more, because we don't need to pass".
So, are the rushing attempts causing the win, or are the wins resulting in more rushing attempts ?
I think it's the latter, because if it was really that simple as running the ball more, then the Redskins and everybody would be running up defenses throats constantly.
But you have to account for our defense being the weak link, forcing us into passing more in most games.
Give me a defense, and give me a better run-blocking line, and you'll see a better balance in more games. You saw a balance today, simply because....well...it was the 3-12 Bears.

In today's game in the second half they were able to rush more because of the sizable lead we had but if we had a 3 point lead I doubt we rush as many times in the second half.

And this is exactly what drives me crazy. The only time our staff seems to ever commit to the run is when we're leading. True we are better at passing, yet when we even half ass attempt to run we win.

That stat can be very mis-leading.
You can interpret that as "rushing the ball more results in a win".
Or....."we're leading more in the games that we win, so we end up rushing more, because we don't need to pass".
So, are the rushing attempts causing the win, or are the wins resulting in more rushing attempts ?
I think it's the latter, because if it was really that simple as running the ball more, then the Redskins and everybody would be running up defenses throats constantly.
But you have to account for our defense being the weak link, forcing us into passing more in most games.
Give me a defense, and give me a better run-blocking line, and you'll see a better balance in more games. You saw a balance today, simply because....well...it was the 3-12 Bears.

As a famous witch once said "What difference – at this point, what difference does it make?"

I don't see it as misleading at all actually. When we run more we win. McVay goes in the opposite direction and passes 75%+ of the time it's much more likely for 3 & outs to happen. Putting our shitty defense back on the field should be delayed any way possible. Running the ball extends that time by minutes once a commitment is made.

IMHO our running game is fine if not very good, our issues are coaches calling the timing & frequency of them. As of now we could have Jim Brown in his prime back there and Mcdickhead would call 3 go routes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.