• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Summer Garden Time

When I first looked at the house, before we bought it, I saw these beds and wondered if I should rip them out and build a retaining wall. Well, as we became more and more serious about making an offer, I started to see the potential these beds had. While they were older and a bit settled, I knew they had very fertile soil and decided a vegetable garden would sit perfectly in these beds.

Well, I finally got them planted.

Carrots, zucchini, pole beans, romaine, spinach, arugula, cucumbers, 2 different hot peppers, and in the hanging baskets on the porch there are herbs. But I am mostly excited about the pumpkins, since my boy loves the pumpkin patch so much.

BLT_8399.jpg

That looks like a fun garden to tend. I had to look up what a pole bean was though, pretty sure I've never tasted one either.

No taters? I wanna have some just so I can talk like sling blade when harvesting them.

Latest I have ever finished getting my garden in...it was this weekend or never... This year growing potatoes, tomatoes, pole beans, eggplant, cukes, jalapeno and super hot peppers, and summer and winter squash. Also have a big herb garden and doing some lemongrass in a couple of containers.

Garden2016edit.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a fun garden to tend. I had to look up what a pole bean was though, pretty sure I've never tasted one either.

No taters? I wanna have some just so I can talk like sling blade when harvesting them.

Pole beans are the only way to go - I don't like any bean well enough to lean over the ground picking the thing. I grow pole beans on a 50 foot long section of chainlink fence. I usually grow a lot of purple pod polebeans - they turn green when you cook them but they are so easy to find and pick. I also try and grow some runner beans. Go pole, or go home baby.

My spinach and lettuces are already peaking through the surface. If I can keep the critters away, leaving the dog outside a lot more, I should yield quite a bit. I did my pole beans on 6ft bamboo poles placed int the ground like a teepee frame a foot apart. I am thinking they may not be enough. My mom suggested planting more seeds in a few weeks, then a few more a few weeks after that just to keep them coming.

Would it be too much to hang a dead rabbit up nearby, warning the others to GTFO?

Pole beans are the only way to go - I don't like any bean well enough to lean over the ground picking the thing. I grow pole beans on a 50 foot long section of chainlink fence. I usually grow a lot of purple pod polebeans - they turn green when you cook them but they are so easy to find and pick. I also try and grow some runner beans. Go pole, or go home baby.

Do they taste like green beans...or any relatable bean for that matter?

They are green beans - just a sprawling, climbing variety

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my habaneros, jalapenos, cayenne, orange bell, and pimento peppers in the ground this past weekend. Plus some squash and cucumbers. Herbs are doing very well.

Trying to decide where to plant tomatoes. Biggest problem here is the squirrels eat them just before they ripen. We've tried everything from human hair, chicken wire cage, to bobcat urine. Nothing has kept them away.

My first year planting lol. Live in an apartment so I'm restricted to the balcony but think I got an ok spread. Got a planter basket along the railing with Basil, Oregano, Parsley, and Jalepeno pepper (gonna have to move this to a pot). Cherry tomatoes (2 different types), Regular Tomatoes, Tomatillo, Green and Red bell peppers, and Banana peppers. Got some tomatoes showing up, the herbs are moving along well, and the got blossoms on pretty much everything else. The last few nights have been cold but I think we're ok.

83f2e8325dcbf751119285805fd77dda.jpg

Patio setup

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well, my cucmbers and carrots do not seem to be doing very well, but everything else is busting through, beans, zucchini, squash, pumpkins, lettuce, spinach and arugula are all coming through well.

Well, my cucmbers and carrots do not seem to be doing very well, but everything else is busting through, beans, zucchini, squash, pumpkins, lettuce, spinach and arugula are all coming through well.
If you did not do so this year, I would recommend growing cucumbers on a trellis (even if it's just nylon netting which is what I use. They will climb 6 feet or more and do better off the ground. Only issue I've had with cucumbers is, if you bury the seeds to deep they won't come up. That, and rabbits love them as soon as they come up. I have never done well with root crops like carrots - probably my clay soil and they need very deep loose soil to do well.Gardening is always trial and error, so celebrate your successes. By the way, you should try swiss chard next year if you like cooked greens. It's extremely easy to grow, can be cut to the ground and grows back so you can harvest all summer, and there are some great varieties (including rainbow lights which has 4 or 5 colors in it).

Last edited:
I am happy to report, my carrots seem to be making a late appearance. There are quite a few popping through. However, it looks like the cucumbers will not make it. I see nothing from them. Now...the friggin ants are eating the leaves on my beans...the only thing in my entire garden that they are eating! MOTHER****ERS!!!

Ugh! This damned garden is a lot of work. Haha! I hate you Boone for ever getting me interested in this crap!

j/k...my children will thank you one day when they are living on farms self-sustaining because the gubment can no longer support the population. ;)

Boone's the evil garden puppet master!

My seeds all went to shit other than about 10% of them. Ended up going with young plant adoption. Tried 1/2 dozen times to post pics but get an error message every time.

We have a small garden.

Eight tomatoes*, jalapenos, sweet peppers, three cucumber plants, one bush zucchini, and a few clumps of chives, dill etc. We also have hot peppers, (jalapeno, thai chili, habanero & tabasco, scattered throughout our flower gardens and lot's of herbs, scattered in pots, and open spaces. Chives, cilantro, sage, rosemary, thyme, dill, basil, mint, lemon balm & oregano.

I wish I had a bigger yard.

* A co-worker of mine, from Sicily, brought in some plum tomatoes, a few years ago. They were the best that I've ever had, (I lived in Naples Italy, for 4 years, and the flavor brought back fond memories), and these were the very best. He brought the seeds over, from Sicily, and grew them here. He saved a few seeds, and gave them to a friend of mine who, in turn, planted them and gave me a few seedlings. They're pretty small now, still in pots. I'm hoping they make it.

Can't believe I'm just now seeing this thread. Over the last few years I've been trying different gardens around my house with mixed success since I'm fairly wooded. I tried a raised bed for a few years in an area that got the most sun, but it just wasn't enough for good growth. This year and last year, I've resigned to pots on the deck. Grape and roma tomatoes, thai and sweet basil, garden peppers, jalapeno, and some herbs. I have trouble with cilantro, but the others do ok. The oregano I had two years ago in the bed has survived and continues to expand.

Here's a pic of the back deck setup. I have to tie down the tomato cages to keep them from tipping. I started from young plants, so no seeds.

Garden - 2016.jpg

Just picked some of our lettuce leaves for a salad. Pretty darn good...excited for the harvest!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.