• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Companion Piece to Coaches: Players You Would Like to See Gone

No way we cut Forbath.... I get he isn't always the strongest guy on kickoffs but he has improved there and is our best FG kicker we've had in forever.

No way we cut Forbath.... I get he isn't always the strongest guy on kickoffs but he has improved there and is our best FG kicker we've had in forever.

I'm clearly not as high on him as you are - he at least gets some healthy competition.

Kai: 18 of 22, 1 over 50 yards.

Gano: 24 of 27, 5 over 50 yards.

Think Gano is happy to be away from this mess?

I'm clearly not as high on him as you are - he at least gets some healthy competition.

That's a pretty long list you have there. And probably pretty good.

I would like the new staff to see what Chase Minnifield can do prior to just dumping him. We still need to sign D Hall--or we may really need Minnifield.

It also would have been nice if Shanny would have played him to see what he has.

It also would have been nice if Shanny would have played him to see what he has.

Its just another reason why Shanahan is a turd head coach. He did the same thing in 2011 when we could have legitimately had the pick for RG3 but he had to prove he could go 5-11 with Grossman at QB instead of 3-13 and had the #2 overall pick. This year he gave 0 time to players needing a look in order to prove he could win 4 games with the same roster (actually a better roster) that he won 10 with last year, and failed miserably.

Its just another reason why Shanahan is a turd head coach. He did the same thing in 2011 when we could have legitimately had the pick for RG3 but he had to prove he could go 5-11 with Grossman at QB instead of 3-13 and had the #2 overall pick. This year he gave 0 time to players needing a look in order to prove he could win 4 games with the same roster (actually a better roster) that he won 10 with last year, and failed miserably.

A minor point but 3-13 in 2011 would not have given us the #2 pick. We'd still have had to give a ton of picks to the Rams or lose that pick to the Browns.

Guys, we can't just cut the whole roster. That's silly. Besides, if Shanahans really such a lousy coach and he really did lose the team its not necessarily the players. I suspect our turnover next year will be a lot smaller than some of you think.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Henry said:
Guys, we can't just cut the whole roster. That's silly.

Come on Henry, you know as well as I do that if a starter isn't all pro 6 months into his career or a developing guy gets zero playing time then someone will want him benched, cut or declares 'bust'.

That's a pretty long list you have there. And probably pretty good.

I would like the new staff to see what Chase Minnifield can do prior to just dumping him. We still need to sign D Hall--or we may really need Minnifield.

Minnifield had micro-fractures surgery and that's something a lot of guys don't come back from. I think Shanahan probably brought him onto the active roster to keep someone else from raiding our practice squad (I'm not 100% sure of that as I'm no expert on practice squad rules) but that they had no intention of playing him in real action in 2013. So it might have been a smart move if he comes back in 2014 fully recovered (and closer to the first round pick some had him projected to be way back when).

Kai: 18 of 22, 1 over 50 yards.

Gano: 24 of 27, 5 over 50 yards.

Think Gano is happy to be away from this mess?

Add Gano to the list of kickers who left the Skins and had success elsewhere.

Gano, Suisham, Novak, Akers...anyone else? Its a curse.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I really like Forbath. He had an amazing first year and he was solid this year. He's going to be a good one for a long time for us. So of all the things we have to complain about, I don't think he should be on the list.

as much money as there is to be made in the NFL I, for the life of me, cannot figure out why there are so few good kickers.

if i have a son I'm going to push him into being a kicker on football teams growing up. he could make a really nice, comfortable living and retire early kicking a stupid ball 50 yards and straight.

Cundiff was a pro bowl kicker one year and then a bum that missed a short kick to send Baltimore to the Super Bowl.

He came here and was even worse.

Does that make Ozzie Newsome a bad GM too?

You don 't judge a GM on the kicker unless he has been inconsistent over a decent amount of time.

Guano here had his problems too.

He would make the 52 yard field goal one week and miss a 41 yard game winner the next.

Cundiff was a pro bowl kicker one year and then a bum that missed a short kick to send Baltimore to the Super Bowl.

He came here and was even worse.

Does that make Ozzie Newsome a bad GM too?

You don 't judge a GM on the kicker unless he has been inconsistent over a decent amount of time.

Guano here had his problems too.

He would make the 52 yard field goal one week and miss a 41 yard game winner the next.

He did have problems. Most notably, he had to wonder if the ball was about to be blocked right back into his face. Lol

Cooley is definitely walking a fine line between being bitter like LaVar and pulling the heart strings of those who loved Capt Chaos so much.

He's been right for the most part..but its all ultra negative and that gets to me after a while.

He's actually really good at analysis on his radio show. He's been brutally honest at times and his quotes have been taken out of context. I felt the same way you did for a while, but have since started listening to his show regularly and heard what he says twisted in national media.

There is no need to put a bunch of players on waivers. Teams increase their rosters during the offseason as per NFL rules. It is good to have camp fodder and borderline roster regulars. We can make the cuts when it is really needed, but there is no reason to chop off the nose in spite of the face.

London Fletcher retires

Cut
Josh Morgan
Stephen Bowen
Adam Carriker
Chris Chester
Will Montgomery
Brandon Meriweather
Kory Lichtensteiger
Sav Rocca
Kedric Golston
Tyler Polumbus
Josh LeRibeus
Chris Neild
Maurice Hurt
Adam Gettis
Kyle Nelson
Kai Forbath
Tom Compton
Chris Thompson
Chase Minnifield
Jawan Jamison
Jeremy Kimbrough

Pretty serious list you have here. Much of it agree with but when it comes to Bowen, Carriker and Golston I have to wonder if we are watching the same team. I also wonder why you want to give up on young guys like Gettis, Neild, Compton, and Minnifield?

And Forbath? Really?

There is no need to put a bunch of players on waivers. Teams increase their rosters during the offseason as per NFL rules. It is good to have camp fodder and borderline roster regulars. We can make the cuts when it is really needed, but there is no reason to chop off the nose in spite of the face.

Couldn't agree more. Cutting these players now doesn't put us in a better position then cutting them next preseason. Might as well keep them around, so you have an option familiar with his teammates in case it comes to that. We obviously want to see a lot of these guys replaced, but make sure you have a replacement first..

as much money as there is to be made in the NFL I, for the life of me, cannot figure out why there are so few good kickers.

if i have a son I'm going to push him into being a kicker on football teams growing up. he could make a really nice, comfortable living and retire early kicking a stupid ball 50 yards and straight.

Let me just say I am not posting this to be argumentative...not trying to get into it with you again. I simply have experience as a kicker for a football team. My rookie year, we won the National Championship...USFTL, and I was the MVP kicker. Anything inside 30-35 yards, I was perfect. I didn't have a lot of leg, my longest that year was 41, but I was accurate within my distance.

Then the following year, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I got benched after I hit the center in his back while he was blocking...on an extras point. It is not all mechanics, it is 50/50 mechanics/mental.

I liken it to a golf swing. If you're swing is off, just a bit, you're in the rough, water or whatever other hazard there is. It's very easy to get out of your game enough to have a perfect season go very different the following year.

Neo, if I recall correctly, Bowen is a big number against the cap. I know we have cap space, but that should still be a factor if the player has become injury prone. He was a solid signing when we got him, Shanny got it right, but I think he's spent physically. He was far from as effective as the year before.

But i do agree with some of the younger players, Minnifield, Gettis, Nield, Compton and probably even LeRiebus.

Pretty serious list you have here. Much of it agree with but when it comes to Bowen, Carriker and Golston I have to wonder if we are watching the same team. I also wonder why you want to give up on young guys like Gettis, Neild, Compton, and Minnifield?

And Forbath? Really?

Bowen and Carriker are coming off injuries, have big cap numbers, and might not fit as well if we switch back to a 4-3. I fear their best years may be behind them and that they won't to play up to their contracts. Golston may very well make the cut again - he's a solid journeyman. I would love to see him beat out by someone younger with an arrow pointing up, but it should come down to whomever wins the competition for that backup role. In terms of some of the younger guys on my list - I'm not advocating that they be cut immediately, but I do expect that most of them will not be back when all is said and done. Neild has an injury history and is more of a 3-4 guy. It's entirely possible that a young guy, e.g. late draft pick or UDFA, will beat him out. Gettis and Compton are lighter OL brought in to fit Shanahan's zone scheme. Our new OC will likely prefer bigger guys on the OL - I wouldn't be surprised this year if we move away from being the lightest OL in the NFL (hopefully is't not an overly knee jerk reaction.) Minnifield is young, unproven, and coming back from a bad injury - and the coaches will not have any attachment to him. Forbath probably deserves more time but his inability to consistently kick off deep is frustrating. In general, I expect that a number of younger, cheaper, scrubby players on this roster will be replaced with other younger, cheaper guys that better fit the new coaches' schemes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.