A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Injuries or not, this one we gotta have.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67
  1. #1
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-14-09
    Posts
    208
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default WEx: Sources: Gruden atop Snyder's wish

    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sp...-64019622.html

    Sources: Gruden atop Snyder's wish
    By: Rick Snider
    Examiner Sports Columnist
    October 13, 2009

    Jon Gruden appears to be the frontrunner in Dan Snyder's offseason search for his seventh coach in 11 seasons.

    Sources close to Snyder say he began considering options to replace coach Jim Zorn after losing to Detroit on Sept. 27; a victory that ended the Lions' 19-game losing streak. The Redskins loss to Carolina on Sunday was its second in three games to a winless team. It followed a turbulent week when Snyder hired an "offensive consultant" to give Zorn another "fresh set of eyes" on a beleaguered offense.

    Snyder has not contacted Gruden, say sources, but he believes the former Oakland-Tampa Bay coach might be the best fit among five Super Bowl winning coaches without jobs. Gruden currently is a Monday Night Football commentator who arrives in Washington for the Redskins-Philadelphia Eagles game on Oct. 26. Snyder and Gruden could meet during routine pregame research for the MNF program.

    Meanwhile, Snyder's interest seems to have tempered for former Denver coach Mike Shanahan, once considered the frontrunner because of his long relationship with Redskins executive vice president Vinny Cerrato. Sources won't rule out Shanahan, but the latter's demand for more front office control makes it a less-likely hire. NFL sources say the two have discussed the job.

    Click the link above for the entire article...
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  2. #2

    Join Date
    06-30-09
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,567
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indiana

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pappas View Post
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sp...-64019622.html

    Sources: Gruden atop Snyder's wish
    By: Rick Snider
    Examiner Sports Columnist
    October 13, 2009

    ...Sources won't rule out Shanahan, but the latter's demand for more front office control makes it a less-likely hire. NFL sources say the two have discussed the job.
    My reaction to this sentence is probably like a lot of other people's... "well...duh!".
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  3. #3

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,751
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Snyder is seeking is a candidate willing to leave major personnel decisions to Cerrato and the owner. NFL sources close to Gruden said that's not an expected deal breaker.

    Ugh.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    It is awesome to be ME.
    Proud BGO Premium Member since Day 1.
    (a/k/a Monte51Coleman)

  4. #4
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Posts
    824
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Sources close to Gruden say he's interested in the Redskins because of Snyder's free spending. Gruden felt undermined by Tampa Bay owners because they were $45 million under the salary cap in his final season. The NFL won't have a salary cap next year, leaving Snyder to spend freely for the free agents that Gruden prefers.

    Snyder is seeking is a candidate willing to leave major personnel decisions to Cerrato and the owner. NFL sources close to Gruden said that's not an expected deal breaker.

    ...A heated argument developed between Schottenheimer and Snyder's then minority partner, Fred Drasner, after one member of the coaching staff wouldn't let Drasner use a team vehicle. This, coupled with an 0-5 start, saw Snyder preparing for a switch in September. Schottenheimer was dismissed despite finishing 8-8.
    (My emphasis and smileys added)
    This looks for all the world to me like Gruden is primarily concerned with Snyder's free spending ways...but as it relates to his own pockets though. I think he's doing nothing more than going to the 1st National Bank of Snyderatto in order to get his retirement nest egg all set up. Sure, he's a darn good coach over the short to intermediate term, especially when it comes to getting production out of offense. However, that he's willing to allow the same personnel setup that brought us the current suck to continue, all but screams to me that he wouldn't really be coming here to win.

    Even if I'm wrong and Gruden wants to win, he's setting himself up for failure in a big way. He was most effective in Tampa with Rich McKay acquiring the personnel leaving him (Gruden) to coach the team. If he agrees to this setup, all he'll be doing is tying one hand behind his back. The result will probably be what we saw Gruden's teams in Tampa become over the last two or three of his seasons there (9-7 twice and 4-12 once).

    Finally, the Schotty/Drasner fallout was interesting reading. I hadn't heard about that before. If true, that's really, really pathetic. So, we let a guy that knew football inside and out go because a minority owner got his panties all in a bunch because he was denied the use of a team vehicle? WTF?? That's how you're going to run our team Dan?

    Give me a break.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  5. #5
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-28-09
    Location
    Yorktown, VA
    Posts
    2,015
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    What isn't about Vinny that Snyder keeps him? He is the one constant with this mess.
    Snyder has to know that reason can't get most high profile coaches is due to Vinny. If you keep losing and firing coaches with no success, but GM is the same should eventually tell you something.

    I will stop now...this has got my blood pressure up too much.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  6. #6
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    08-03-09
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    1,261
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Michigan State

    Default

    Hmmm. I heard on the news last night that Snyder had offered Shanahan the job twice already, once last offseason and once already during this season.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.

  7. #7

    Vescere bracis meis

    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Posts
    804
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    VCU

    Default

    I don't know how much of this if any we should believe. Yes, it falls into the pattern established by the last 10 years but it's not really going to go down like this is it?
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.
    H. L. Mencken

  8. #8
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-31-09
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    169
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    This tells me two things.

    1. If Gruden is willing to allow Snyderrato to stay in place, one he is dumb, and two we should expect more of the same during Gurden's tenure.

    2. If in fact Gruden is willing, then Gruden will get it. That's exactly what Snyder wants.

    Too bad for us Redskins fans. Too bad.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Covering the 'Skins, Nats, Wizards, and Caps

    http://www.dcprosportsreport.com

  9. #9

    Join Date
    06-30-09
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,567
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indiana

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSr619 View Post
    take an article from 08, change the names up, add some new insults and reprint.

    yay!! snyder sucks!! OMG!! Cerrato is incompetent!!

    WOWEE!! We need a GM!!


    I've said all along I like Gruden but he looks very comfortable in the booth. Or maybe Im just happy someone with intelligence is up in there.
    I mentioned in another post that the opinions flying around last season changed dramatically as the season went from 6-2 into 8-8-this is normal. Anytime a team starts strong and then founders everybody's going to look for answers, reasons, and to lay blame on somebody-this is simply human. It is almost an impossible task to ask someone to overlook what are sometimes even circumstantial clues that point to a connection between the current organization and the team's lack of success in recent history-people just aren't built that way.


    I've been doing some digging online about Gruden-I'm wondering if he might be an even more controversial choice than Zorn was. Zorn had basically no record to judge from-and Snyder was criticized for the selection based on that. Gruden does have a record-and a lot of his actions have been viewed as negative or at least questionable especially regarding how he treats his players and questionable personnel decisions.

    If Snyder decides to hire Gruden as HC-or is forced to because no one else accepts his offer-be prepared for a firestorm of criticism over the hiring, it is almost certain to follow.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  10. #10
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-09
    Location
    CTU
    Posts
    2,997
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Air Force

    Default

    Ruuuuuuuuuuuuun Chucky, Ruuuuuuuun!!!!!!!!!
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Formerly known as ...............Sarge

  11. #11
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-16-09
    Location
    CTU
    Posts
    2,997
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Air Force

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSr619 View Post
    a firestorm over a redskins decision?!! thats unfathomable!! haha

    i think Gruden isnt the easiest for players to work with but he knows how to win and how to coach. he took 2 teams to the super bowl in the same year and he knows his football as you can tell when he is in the booth.

    I don't care who comes here to coach, we're still gonna be stuck with ding and dong making personnel decisions.

    Most people said the game had passed Gibbs by. Looking back, it's clear he got blood from a turnip.

    Fact is, it doesn't matter who comes here to coach, they're still gonna be handicapped by Dr Eevil and Mini Me
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Formerly known as ...............Sarge

  12. #12
    Resident Caps Fan
    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,526
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    4
    Florida Atlantic

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSr619 View Post
    a firestorm over a redskins decision?!! thats unfathomable!! haha

    i think Gruden isnt the easiest for players to work with but he knows how to win and how to coach. he took 2 teams to the super bowl in the same year and he knows his football as you can tell when he is in the booth.
    OMG, you're right! Its the coach! With Gruden, our glaring lack of offensive line depth will no longer be a problem, cause he knows how to win!! Its obvious that Zorn is just not MOTIVATING Rhinehart and Baptiste enough to play well, so that's why they suck. Fire Zorn and Blache and the rest of the staff, because that's clearly the problem.

    EDIT: to remove personal dig.
    Last edited by Lanky Livingston; 10-12-09 at 07:54 PM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  13. #13
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Section 106/ Eastern Shore
    Posts
    936
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Navy Salisbury

    Default

    No coach in their right mind should come to the Redskins without Snyder signing off on 5 things before the coach takes the job:

    1. Vinny Cerrato must go. Cerrato is Snyder's enabler and no personnel/coaching/scouting/FO issues can be fixed until the owner's main man is gone. If Cerrato stays, then Snyder gets whatever move he wants no matter how stupid.....

    2. Hire a real GM. No more executive VPs of player personnel. The Skins need a guy with enough power to make the calls and manage the team so it can succeed. That includes telling the owner no when he wants to sign a big name player or coach just to make a big splash or sell jerseys/club seats.

    3. Accountability. So important that I put it in bold. No more triumverates, no more mysterious decisions. People make moves and they get praised or get in trouble for said move. Same goes for players, same goes for coaches, same goes for the rest of the organization from the owner down to the lowliest ticket taker at FedEx.

    4. Snyder butts out. Snyder allows the people he hired to do their job and let him take the accolades of finding the people to do said job and spending the money correctly to bring in the right people to win. This also includes giving the coach a minimal of three season (3-5 would be preferable) to accomplish said goals and to admit to the fans that this is a process and requires patience (something neither the owner or the fans have much of).

    5. The HC finds his staff and brings in his players. Obviously you can't scrap the entire 53 man roster and start from scratch. However, the next HC should be able to cut whomever he wants and find the players that will play for him to build this team into a winner. With no salary cap in 2010 that makes it an even better situation. That means that everybody will have to earn their spot and that there will be no player safe from being traded or released because he's a big cap number or the owners pal.

    If Snyder is willing to do all of these things, I think he'll have a few very talented coaches that would love to build a team here.....he doesn't then I think the coach willing to come here is either a) very naive (kind of like Zorn) or b) willing to be a part of a mediocre franchise to gain a huge payday.
    Last edited by Walking Deadman; 10-12-09 at 07:02 PM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    :evil:Bring on the 12th Man!!!!!!:evil:
    It Is What It Is.......
    (The Official Blog of Walking Deadman)

  14. #14

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Montclair, VA
    Posts
    4,292
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    1
    Virginia Tech

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    OMG, you're right! Its the coach! With Gruden, our glaring lack of offensive line depth will no longer be a problem, cause he knows how to win!! Its obvious that Zorn is just not MOTIVATING Rhinehart and Baptiste enough to play well, so that's why they suck. Fire Zorn and Blache and the rest of the staff, because that's clearly the problem. I'm surprised you're not on some NFL staff, because you clearly have all the answers.
    Nothing wrong with the thought process, LL ... if you would express it without the personal dig next time it'd be appreciated. Let's not allow frustration with the team to change the tone of mutual respect around here please.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    Eschew obfuscation.

  15. #15
    Resident Caps Fan
    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,526
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    4
    Florida Atlantic

    Default

    Apologies...but sometimes you say something a 100 different ways, and the point doesn't get through. Guess I got frustrated. Its just so obvious to me (and most others I've spoken with) what the problem is with the Skins; and its a real shame that Zorn has to be a fall-guy. This may be the end of his HC career, when in fact with some solid OLine depth and a great FO behind him, who knows what kind of success he could have had. Maybe he goes 6-2 in the second-half of 08...Christ, maybe he goes 4-4 and wins 10 games, we'll never know.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  16. #16
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-19-09
    Location
    Bethesda Md
    Posts
    5,977
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Gruden lucked out in Tampa, being able to ride Tony Dungy's defense to a title.

    To me he is the least appealing of the SB coaches out there along with Billick.

    The coaches you want are those who have shown they can build a program.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  17. #17
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    10,679
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog's Twin View Post
    Gruden lucked out in Tampa, being able to ride Tony Dungy's defense to a title.

    To me he is the least appealing of the SB coaches out there along with Billick.

    The coaches you want are those who have shown they can build a program.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    BD, I have heard this argument before, but what about the team he assembled in Oakland? They were in the SB that year too. And he did coach his new team past his old team.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    15,999
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    93
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    I think Gruden's a hell of a coach, and at least when his teams lose, you can't say its from a lack of energy or motivation. I love his attitude. But first of all I'm not sure Snyder and friends could get along with someone as aggressive and (I'm guessing) stubborn as he seems to be. Secondly, like Bulldog, I'm not sure he's really a franchise-builder.

    He may be the best coach we can actually get. It may be a moot point.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  19. #19

    Join Date
    06-30-09
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,962
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanky Livingston View Post
    Apologies...but sometimes you say something a 100 different ways, and the point doesn't get through. Guess I got frustrated. Its just so obvious to me (and most others I've spoken with) what the problem is with the Skins; and its a real shame that Zorn has to be a fall-guy. This may be the end of his HC career, when in fact with some solid OLine depth and a great FO behind him, who knows what kind of success he could have had. Maybe he goes 6-2 in the second-half of 08...Christ, maybe he goes 4-4 and wins 10 games, we'll never know.
    Lanky, while I know what you mean and I partially agree, I have to point out that Zorn called the sweep from his Endzone on Sunday. Zorn went for it on 4th and goal, up by 2 with roughly 2 minutes left on the clock against the Rams. Zorn went for it on 4th and goal in the first quarter against the Lions.

    Zorn's coaching decisions have frankly been questionable this whole season. I'm not saying that the offensive line isn't an issue. I am not absolving the FO of any blame for the talent on the field. But neither will I blame the FO for some seriously bone headed play calls that I think most of the guys on this board are smart enough not to try, especially given the talent on the field. Zorn should know better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog's Twin View Post
    Gruden lucked out in Tampa, being able to ride Tony Dungy's defense to a title.

    To me he is the least appealing of the SB coaches out there along with Billick.

    The coaches you want are those who have shown they can build a program.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    Exactly my thoughts on Chucky. Not high on my list of candidates at all but like Boone said, he might be the best we can do at the moment cause no one better would have us.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    hailus redskinnus
    COYS

  20. #20

    Join Date
    06-30-09
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,567
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Indiana

    Default

    [QUOTE=Boone;11939
    He may be the best coach we can actually get...[/QUOTE]

    Actually, you may have a point there-only this time, like the guy or not-the Skins would be getting someone with HC experience.

    (Glass half-full side took over this time)
    0 0 0 0
     
     

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Playing Dan Snyder
    By brandies in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-21-09, 01:07 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •