• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Here's what ticks me off the most : Every week, Jay gets up at the podium and says we need to be physical and get back to running the football.

Well, you're the freakin' Head Coach! How in the hell does it not get done?

You come out Sunday in Zona and have ONE rushing attempt the whole first quarter. One.

That's a real commitment to running the ball more.

I'd rather he quit the BSing and just come to the podium and tell the truth: "Don't like running all that much but I sprinkle in a rush here and there just for the hell of it."

Either that or if he's serious about running more take over the playcalling from McVay and put your money where your mouth is.

As my Mom used to say: Time to shit or get off the pot.

He lets the game dictate to him what he's doing in-game. In other words, he goes in with a game plan, but immediately changes it based on the opponent scheme. OK maybe there's a little validity to that, but for crying out loud, have a second play called in the huddle, the "check with me" play. He doesn't do it. His game plan sucks really, and I don't see McVay adjusting anything. He looks like he's trying to fit the square peg in the round hole. You have to think outside the box, how many times this year have you seen like I've seen, the defense seems to know the play coming. By now, we should have figured that out.

Here's what ticks me off the most : Every week, Jay gets up at the podium and says we need to be physical and get back to running the football.

You come out Sunday in Zona and have ONE rushing attempt the whole first quarter. One.

I'd rather he quit the BSing and just come to the podium and tell the truth: "Don't like running all that much but I sprinkle in a rush here and there just for the hell of it."

Either that or if he's serious about running more take over the playcalling from McVay and put your money where your mouth is.

I don't have much time to watch the interviews, but does anyone ever call him out on that?

Or Talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words, ...

Vinny caught putting an anti-running spell on McVay after sneaking in Redskins park.

IMG_2528.jpg

It's a good thing Trent is coming back this week as Ty didn't practice today and is questionable for Sunday.

We need to make sure that Fletcher Cox doesn't do to the OL what Calais Campbell did last week, namely use Shawn Lauvao like a roll of toilet paper.

The Redskins need to stop deferring after the coin toss and take the damn ball!

Bellichick can get away with that strategy because his defense can stop people.

Ours can't and that's as plain to see as anything else on this team in 2016.

In fact it seems to be getting worse.

Realistically, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to keep Josh Norman, fire Joe Barry and cut everyone else on that side of the ball and actually come up with a better unit in 2017 with a new scheme.

So many of our defensive players were veteran cuts and street free agents, the talent gap is as wide as ever.

We aren't going to win a SuperBowl with a front seven and safeties like we have now even if Kirk Cousins DOES somehow manage to morph into a second Tom Brady.

Right Bulldog. Kerrigan, Smith, Murphy aren't run stoppers and if they play in the def end position, they can be gashed and their strength negated. Tape don't lie, other off coordinators can see this plain as day. I like those guys, but they must be used right, as any play should. We are best served with a 4-3 four stud dlinemen and dends.

But hey, we seem to not address changes in the NFL, still treating the opposition like they will be pass happy, but then don't blitz enough. I hope we make drastic changes on def next year. I love defensive football, but these 3rd and longs are an embarrassment.

THIS times 1 million!!!!!

I've said it before, I just want consistency from this franchise. Give us a good 5 or 6 years under the same regime and THEN see if it's not working.

I get that owners of sports teams are impatient to see returns on the billions they pile into teams and want bad franchises to be great overnight. But overnight turn arounds are the exception not the rule. And in the NFL it's way harder due to the fact that there are so many players on the field. An NBA Team can turn around by drafting a seminal player to make them relevant. NFL not so much.

Rebuilding takes painstaking years of correct decisions, and that's if you don't make the occasional misstep on the way, which is inevitable. No one bats 1000.

Sure the Scotty & Gru regime has made a couple of missteps, maybe a few players haven't worked out from the draft, or from FA. Maybe Barry wasn't the best choice for DC.

If you look at our coaching history it's pretty sketchy lately. We've had 7 coaching changes since Gibbs1 (8 if you include Robiskie!). That's 7 in 23 years, Take Norv Turner and his 7 year stint out and you've got 6 in 16 years.
That's an average of 1 coach every 2 1/2 years. (add to that our QB stuggle and you start to see why we've been perennially bad!)

If we also take Gibbs2 out of the equation we see that only ShanaClan took us to the playoffs, and lets face it that was a mirage of a turnaround on the back of the RGIII experience! Which he couldn't repeat and then balls up so badly he lost the team.

Simple fact is that you can't bring in a coach and turn a team around to a Superbowl winner in less than 4 or 5 years.

Hers's some stats for you. The last 15 Superbowl winning Coaches... (Yes I spent my lunch crunching numbers and looking stuff up!! lol)

2015/16 - Broncos - Gary Kubiak - 1 year tenure. (Now this may look like you can... but... He took over from John Fox, who had in the previous 4 years had a 46-18 record and gone to the playoffs 4 years in a row. Kubiak took the reins of an already good team and pushed it over the hump!)

2014/15 - Patriots - Belli - 15 years tenure at this point.

2013/14 - Seahawks - Carroll - 5 years in tenure at this point.

2012/13 - Ravens - Harbaugh - 5 years in tenure at this point.

Compare this with Gruden... He took over a team that had quit on ShanaClan, with a 3-13 record (the worst record in 20 years!) and had a collective resume of 36-60 over 6 years prior with 1 miracle playoff run. Plus no franchise QB and an owner that had a history of meddling and an incompetent GM.

I'm with Boone, we have to get off the Merry-go-round and give this team and management the time it takes to right the ship. 5 year plan. I'll judge Gruden and Scotty in 2018 and if we're not contenders by then then they're a fair target I think. Till then history shows it takes at least 4 years to get to Superbowl level.

Good points teams but I'd like to add teams that are well built have quicker turn around times like Baltimore with Ozzie and the steelers they might have an off year or 2 then are right back at the top.

A good case to look at is Reggie Mackenzie in Oakland the guy took a team with over bloated salaries and got them into position where they are now. His first coaching hire didn't work out but that might not be his strong point as Mark Davis was more involved in the second hire of Jack Del Rio. But he has assembled a very good team that looks like it is going to compete for a few years. 5 years of drafting of course he has gone after a few more pricier free agents than the redskins have but that is fine I'd rather be built more through the draft. When Scott took over he said it would be 4-5 drafts before we were solidly competitive. Now I don't like to call anyone a liar but we are better than even what I think Scott envisioned at this point in time. We have been in every game except the Pittsburgh game so hopefully we continue and next year we get a few more pieces to the puzzle

You may be right regarding loyalty, but there's a lot of daylight between that idea and Gruden and McVay storming out because ownership or the GM wants a change at DC.

Thank God fans don't run NFL franchises because we'd be starting over every 2 years instead of every 4 or 5 which is the Redskins norm (and btw the practice that has helped keep us in the cellar for most of the last 20 years). I wasn't a fan of the Joe Barry hiring and I don't know how his D would be doing with more infusion of talent. What I do know is that he's nowhere near the disaster fans want to make him out to be. And whether or not the defensive woes are more about him and his scheme and ability or more about the players he's got to deploy them, I'll let McCloughan determine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

some people I think would be happy starting over every 2 years I got tired of it. We actually have a GM that is building a good solid foundation for this team to be competitive in years to come. I think loosing that pass rusher to his Achilles' tendon again hurt us. But even without him we have been competitive

Good points teams but I'd like to add teams that are well built have quicker turn around times like Baltimore with Ozzie and the steelers they might have an off year or 2 then are right back at the top.

A good case to look at is Reggie Mackenzie in Oakland the guy took a team with over bloated salaries and got them into position where they are now. His first coaching hire didn't work out but that might not be his strong point as Mark Davis was more involved in the second hire of Jack Del Rio. But he has assembled a very good team that looks like it is going to compete for a few years. 5 years of drafting of course he has gone after a few more pricier free agents than the redskins have but that is fine I'd rather be built more through the draft. When Scott took over he said it would be 4-5 drafts before we were solidly competitive. Now I don't like to call anyone a liar but we are better than even what I think Scott envisioned at this point in time. We have been in every game except the Pittsburgh game so hopefully we continue and next year we get a few more pieces to the puzzle

Agreed,

I tried to make the point with my post that the teams that get new coaches and have fast turnarounds (1 or 2 years) are often teams that are good anyway and the coach has changed for other reasons. Such as the GM'/Owners knowing they've got a championship caliber team and that they're under performing.

I don't think anyone at the Skins is under any illusions as to our current status as contenders. We're not. Or maybe we have a long shot outside chance, but we're not serious Superbowl contenders right now.

When Gru and co took over this team was talent bereft. We had maybe 1 Blue Chip candidate on the roster in Trent Williams. That was it.

Now two years later I'd put Trent, Norman and Reed on that list, with Cousins making a push for it. I don't think Kerrigan is Clue Chip, but he's good, same with DeSean and Garcon. And now we've got players like Crowder making a push to the upper tier. We're offense heavy on the talent side though.

I think sometimes as fans we get a bit insular and look at our team in isolation. ALOT of our Defense players wouldn't be starters on other teams... or at least other GOOD teams.

I think we need at least 1 more Blue Chip player on Defense, plus a couple of upcoming talents, hopefully through the draft. Breeland was looking good lasts year, but hasn't shown the same flashes this year. Hopefully 2017 will be a bounce back year. It will be interesting to see if Gallette resigns and has anything left. Plus another year from Cravens and Preston Smith. We could have the bones of something good.

I also don't think we can underestimate the sheer dysfunction of this franchise back then. It was THAT that in truth held us back for years. We had no clue how to build a team, spending vast amounts of money on players past their prime and wasting draft picks. The most refreshing thing about this year is how many news reports we've had that feature Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen. Approximately none! I don't think I've seen one all year!

And to be fair to Scotty, he keeps a low profile too.

This team just seems to be Professional at last. Long may it continue, because while it does I think we'll be competitive.

Its obvious to me where we are at with this team. Whenever a division opponent dominates the division with an offense or defense, it is encumbant upon the GM to build a team that can counter that. If you don't, you won't be competitive in the division. Hence you won't be competitive in the conference. That spells no playoffs.

The Cows are the dominant team right now and will be offensively for some time to come. Only a stout defensive built to stop the run will give us a chance. That's it in a nutshell. McClou cannot go into this draft bpa. That won't work. We must build this defense for need at the most critical positions, or we won't be competitive. Defense is our number 1 priority, yes a glaring need on the Dline. That has to be addressed first and foremost. Any offensive pick will not get us where we need to be.

BPA is the best way to go for long term success.

Totally disagree with this.

BPA is why we haven't had a stud Dlineman since Charles Mann left for San Francisco and we're still trying to get an Oline built(seems like its taking forever)....because around Redskins Park, it always seems like when BPA is applied, it never uses linemen in the equation.

It's always WR,CB,LB or S.

With the wrong people deciding who the BPA is, you would be right.

However, it is unfair to try and strap past history around McCloo's neck. BPA is the tried and true method hailed practically by every GM worth a damn. Obviously there are always exceptions. But, by and large, consistently filling your roster with quality players is the way to go. If you're lucky, BPA and need converge at an above average rate, and you get quicker turnaround.

Having great coaches speeds up the process too. We don't have great coaches.
Petitbon would have these guys middle of the pack, at worst.

Totally disagree with this.

BPA is why we haven't had a stud Dlineman since Charles Mann left for San Francisco and we're still trying to get an Oline built(seems like its taking forever)....because around Redskins Park, it always seems like when BPA is applied, it never uses linemen in the equation.

It's always WR,CB,LB or S.

If it weren't for BPA, we wouldn't have Kirk Cousins.

I like BPA, it's how you stack a team with blue chip players.

If you draft for need you end up with a team that has just ordinary players at key positions. We need Dline, I think we all agree on that, but if the talent pool there is thin and the best players aren't projected to go first round then take the current BPA and wait till the right time. You never know when that BPA might turn into a blue chip stud for your team. And likely that Dline player you wanted will still be there in the second round.

That said I do think you approach BPA with a plan too. We need to overhaul the D, so I'd expect an emphasis to be on whoever the best available Defensive player is.

I trust Scotty. I think there's a different regime at Redskins Park these days. I think his vision was always to build around Kirk to see what they had on O and hopefully build an O that can keep us relevant and in games. Mission accomplished!

I expect a focus on D this year. I'd be shocked if it isn't. He'll take a stud on O if there's one there though. Should an RB or WR fall out way I wouldn't be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPA is fine in the later rounds but when you're in the top three blue chip rounds, you better be all about the foundation of your team.

It's funny.

Every coach, GM or whoever "the guy" is in charge of player acquisition that rolls through Ashburn always tells us the same thing over the years: "It all starts up front", "You have to win the line of scrimmage" yada,yada, yada.

They then set about doing the exact opposite.

One of the reasons I got excited about Scot, was his very first draft he took Scherff,who came with the reputation of being big and nasty and Smith in the second. Two linemen! we're finally gonna do it the right way.

This last draft was touted as the deepest for Dline in over a decade and we watched round after round as we passed one prospect after another at our weakest position.

THAT's what frustrates me.

We look at this roster and all of us agree that our DL stinks. We hope the Front Office sees it this way until you watch how they make moves in acquiring players.

The fact that they scrambled to sign Cullen Jenkins off the scrap heap screams desperation from a Front Office that acted like they got caught with their pants down...which is exactly what happened.

Not saying that fans can run a team but my goodness, anyone here could've told Scot,if asked, that Kedrick Gholston couldn't make it as an NT in this league or that Ziggy Hood wasn't a full time starter.

But that's the floatsam they chose to roll out there.....which has been the case for most defenses we've fielded for a good long while.

As of yet, I can't think of a single D-lineman from last years draft making a big impact.

Time will tell.

I HOPE, that whenever we select in the upcoming draft, that the BPA with our first 4 picks are dlinemen, ILB's, and/or safety's. The order doesn't matter, so long as at least one them is a 3 down game changing stud that opposing offenses have to spend much time fretting over. If we could just get one, at any of those three positions, while also upgrading the other two, I believe it would drastically improve the overall defense. As El has often said, Compton's a great effort guy. Smart too. But he lacks the speed and strength to game changer. Same with Foster. If ILB is the only major improvement on the defense next year, it will be huge. The dline has done their job, good enough at times, and the LB's have failed. Making everybody look bad.

But, if the BPA is something else, so be it. I trust McCloo. I think after about 5 years of him choosing the BPA, or roster will be pretty damn stout.

Provided the coaches don't screw the pooch.

This game is huge. We need to not only win, but to win by at least 17 points to get the mojo going if we're going to do anything in the playoffs.

We have to actually make the playoffs before being concerned with what we'll do......if..... we make it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 7, Members: 0, Guests: 7)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.