• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

And Hopkins missed an early one too, so there is that.

But again, it appears this team peaked against the Eagles and since that game have become a sloppy, up and down, inconsistent bunch that isn't capable fundamental execution and good coaching.

Pretty sure Kenny Albert is a witch and we rarely win when he's announcing. Is it wrong I think of the kid in 'Seventh Sign' every time he's on air?

IMG_2392.JPG
IMG_2391.JPG

If you'd have told me it was possible to feel this ambivalent about reaching the bye with a winning record, I wouldn't have believed it possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are going to find that out once the schedule gets tougher with the Cardinals and other contenders upcoming in the second half of the season.

You put up 15 penalties against Arizona and you lose 35-10.

Arizona is 3-3-1 and losing to the 1-5
Panthers. Badly.

4-3-1 isn't great, but its not the end of the world.

Or have we forgotton which team we've been rooting for for the past 20 years?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

We are what we are: A very mediocre football team that's hamstrung by lack of talent in the trenches and coaching talent on both sides of the ball.

With the total lack of disciplne we displayed today, it's a miracle we even made OT.

Hard to figure out exactly what this staff does during the week to improve anything from a discipline stand point.

We're an 8-8 ish team. Is that a huge surprise to anyone? We knew our weaknesses going into the season. Now that they are on display its a shock?

I dont know. This team looks pretty much like I thought theyd look. Not enough talent to contend yet. Run defense and our lack of a consistant, credible run attack will hamstring this team all season. If we win 8 or 9 games we're doing ok and can expect to be better next year. Shrug.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

While I was disappointed with today's result, the offense put up some big numbers, and our D hung in there tough. ST let us down big time or we pull off a pretty amazing win. We got screwed on penalties for sure. Hard to be too down on these guys on my book.

It's just a shame that Scott knew these weaknesses way back in Feb. and really did nothing to address them...especially when it comes to the front seven.

The least he could've done is give us a fighting chance on D but he chose to sit on his hands.

At the end of the day, I think you take solace in the fact that between the final 8 games or so from last year, and what has transpired in the first 8 weeks of this season, this team is learning how to compete.

The last two weeks at Detroit and vs. Cincy have proven that learning how to compete in this league and learning how to win consistently are two different animals.

My gut feeling tells me that until there are some significant talent upgrades at a few important spots on the football team, we'll be good enough to compete, but not good enough to always win the types of games we watched the last two weeks.

Lost in all this, was the huge defensive stand at the end, where we sacked Dalton, put them out of field goal range, and basically saved this from being a loss.
Then after that stand, then shut them out for a whole quarter in overtime.
Seems like the defense actually made a huge stride from last week in Detroit.
Last week, the offense did its job at the end, and put it in the hands of the defense to win, who failed.
This time it was the defense that did their job at the end, but the offense couldn't win it at the end.

Last edited:
two of our most significant additions on defense, Josh Norman and Donte Whitner, were opportunistic, unanticipated acquisitions in later free agency.

imagine if the Panthers had been able to resign Norman and Whitner had not been released by Cleveland.

our play in the secondary in 2016 would have been historically poor.

that combined with no significant draft or free agency upgrades in the front line pointed to a flat trajectory on defense.

how we were expected to improve a lot on that side of the ball given where we were in March or April (after the draft) is anyone's guess.

I am not going to excuse Hopkins, he should have won the game at the end. A pro kicker should be able to make 2 consecutive 35 yard field goals.

But the cumulative amount of mistakes we made today which seem to have come forward from last week at Detroit where we had numerous penalties, turnovers and lack of timely executiion - it's becoming a habit.

This team doesn't seem to be getting better as the season goes on.

We hit a plateau against the Eagles and have been on a downward execution spiral ever since.

Kirk had 418 yards passing today, but did anyone ever get the feeling he was going to hit that 35 yard TD pass to win the game in the late fourth quarter or overtime?

Quite frankly, I didn't.

One would think the confidence would be there given his paper stats, but I just didn't feel it.

Remember last week when Redskins defenders were down after the late loss but credited Matt Stafford for making some unbelievable throws? That he was an elite player who could beat good coverage?

That's not Cousins unfortunately.

Go ahead and say it bulldog, he ain't got IT. Nice stats guy, but has not escape move spin move to create more time. Doesn't take off enough when under pressure. Book is out on him, watch and see all teams seem to employ the same rush against us. They always put pressure on and send the 5th guy. Not Mr. Clutch. If we had more of a run game though, he would be enough to consistently win with.

Yeah. Because Cousins subpar play the last 2 weeks is our issue. You guys have nailed it :)

Cousins moved out of the pocket several times today on key downs to make big plays. I 100% agree we need to finish in the red zone. But that's a culmination of a lot of things, starting with the play calling.

While I was disappointed with today's result, the offense put up some big numbers, and our D hung in there tough. ST let us down big time or we pull off a pretty amazing win. We got screwed on penalties for sure. Hard to be too down on these guys on my book.

Right lots of guts and heroics on defense. Plus the opposing Def coordinator seems to coach the cheap shots and head shots. Looked obvious to me, I'd like to kick his ars.

I'm happy we didn't lose as it looked like we were going to several times, particularly when we went down. I knew there wasn't enough time 4th qtr to trade touchdowns, we needed that turnover. But I can't take the drama.....anyone with heart disease stay away from Redskin games, never been on the roller coaster like this one.

Pretty much looks like this. The only way the tie benefits us in the end is if we beat the Cowboys, a must game, AND we are at least tied in the win column. So really rooting for the Eagles right now to give cows a div loss. Crucial game.

Pretty much looks like this. The only way the tie benefits us in the end is if we beat the Cowboys, a must game, AND we are at least tied in the win column. So really rooting for the Eagles right now to give cows a div loss. Crucial game.

There's actually many scenarios that the tie benefits us.
It's not about a specific game or team. It's what the final standings look like at the end.
If we and another team both end up with the same amount of wins at the end of the season, for example we're 9-6-1. and another team is 9-7, etc, then we win the division, by half a game. It could be any of the three other teams, and it could be any number of wins.
Instead of going to the playoff tiebreakers, if we were both 9-7, we automatically win the tiebreaker, due to the tie game.
Just think of it like baseball. We're half of a game ahead of any team that ends up with the same number of wins.

Last edited:
If you'd have told me it was possible to feel this ambivalent about reaching the bye with a winning record, I wouldn't have believed it possible.

Ha ha funny and true. Get this, now everyone is saying that the NFC East is the toughest division in the league. Ha, last year they said they worse the worst. So we can all take that winning record with a grain of salt. Just stay focused on the div games and hope it all comes down to the last game. Lots of football left to be played.

Well I've just got home and I'm drained both physically and emotionally!
In the flesh that was a rollercoaster of a game.

Honestly this team is about what I thought it would be.

When Scotty took the reins I figured on a three or four year plan to make us contenders considering the mess we were in. We had a lot of dead weight to jettison, a culture to change and a solid foundation to build.
Which is what I see.

We're a much younger team than we were. We're scrappy and don't give up. But like any young pup we make mistakes.

The Offense looks solid, even special. We rarely have any trouble moving the ball and punting seems like a rarity. We need a solid regular run game, but I think if you keep this core together next year and let them really gel we'll see something really spectacular in 2018. Djax and Garçon will be gone but Crowder and hopefully Doctson are the future along side Reed the Beast.
Just need to be more consistent in the red zone!

(Side note: Djax looks slow to me. A few times Kirk has overthrown him lately... I'm more and more convinced that whether it's age or injury he's lost a step. I think Kirk throws to where he's supposed to be but he's not reaching it... he doesn't look like he's getting separation from the cover these days... must keep an eye on him)

Our special teams is much much better. So Dusty missed. It happens. I don't blame him for the Baltimore misses and the long one today fell just short. Last weeks post topper was a fluke! It was that kind of game last week. That overtime miss was gruesome, but to be honest we should have wrapped this game up early. That 4th & 1 in the first quarter... if we'd have kicked that FG we'd never have played OT, simple as. I know hindsight is always 20/20 but there it is. Plus penalties... killed us whether we blame the refs or not.

Anyhoo, Special Teams I don't think we need to worry about as yet.

Our D is scrappy with a penchant for getting turnovers at opportune times... but we can't rely on that. This is where Scotty will work his magic the next two years. Line and Safety. Norman's been good for us, Breeland isn't having the best time but I'm keeping the faith. We need a line that can apply pressure though.

I expected 8-8 this year, 9-7 with some luck and maybe a wild card. Think that's still likely.

This team feels like it's on track, even if it frustrates us sometimes right now. This isn't the smoke and mirrors of 2012, this actually feels to me like progress!

2018 we contend! I'm calling it now lol

By the way, thanks for those of you who were on the chat room today and indulged my excitable live game commentary! You made an awesome experience even more wonderful! Xxx

Meh...the tie just means we won't be using the tie-breaker when we win the division.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.