• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I really want to make a Fred-Davis-as-Shaggy reference, but can't figure out how to make it work...

How about we talk about how sean Payton was just the head coach of a team where the DC paid players to play harder.....not even cheating.

Gregg got over a year
Sean got a year

For motivating and getting players to hit harder.

And, that article...it says we cheated in an uncapped year. We didn't.

Here's a pretty good site listing all of the NFL teams and how they have each cheated for those who have their heads in the sand, believe Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny are still real, or think that the Patriots are the spawn of Satan.

Your Team Cheats - The Definitive Guide to NFL Cheating

It is hilarious to read the write up on that site for Spygate given people's reaction to that fiasco.

That may be the dumbest thing I've clicked on since... well, ever. You are awarded no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

What's stupid about it?
As Mike mentioned, their number one allegation against my team is something that every sane, rational analyst who hs examined the facts has said is a massive overreach at best and at worst a complete farce. Stupid. No matter how they want to spin it, CapGate was an insanely idiotic move by the NFL indicative only of the dickishness of Goodell.

I stopped reading after that.

As Mike mentioned, their number one allegation against my team is something that every sane, rational analyst who hs examined the facts has said is a massive overreach at best and at worst a complete farce. Stupid. No matter how they want to spin it, CapGate was an insanely idiotic move by the NFL indicative only of the dickishness of Goodell.

I stopped reading after that.

I will say: I agree that the crap against our team is inane.

The thing is, there is as much on us for the salary cap BS as there is on the Patriots for taping signals. Ours is just morally better in our eyes, but from a rule standpoint, they are the same.

Ours wasn't against the rules....until it suddenly was.

Taping other teams has always been against the rules.

Yeah. Our penalty was insane. Proof on multiple levels . Of how corrupt the NFL has become. I LOVE the Redskins, or I probably would have stopped watching.

What a joke.

The only thing the two things have in common is that, in both instances, Goodell manufactured a penalty that was nowhere on the books in NFL regs. The guy is a power hungry egomaniac, who does what he wants, to who he wants, however he wants. That's why I'm chiding you guys for so gleefully celebrating because this time he's doing it to the Pats. One can acknowledge that the Pats deserved to get punished (or Brady anyway) without endorsing another instance of an out of control Roger Goodell.

In no way am I endorsing Goodell...but I am definitely celebrating watching the pats organization from top to bottom have to ear crow and FINALLY have to pay for being such smug cheating pricks. I think it's possible to do one without the other.

Ours wasn't against the rules....until it suddenly was.

Taping other teams has always been against the rules.

Actually, it wasn't, and still isn't. They were "convicted", as it were, based on a memo. Kind of like us. Doesn't mean I think it was right, but the grounds it was done on are the same. A memo saying not to do it.

Read the second link McD5 posted. It says pretty much what I've read about it the whole time, just in a more cohesive form. This garbage has been going on a long time, and it will come around to bite us again I'm sure.

Oh very well, here's the relevant part:

YOU'RE WRONG IF YOU THINK: Filming you opponents' signals is prohibited by the league and is therefore a serious cheating infraction.

REALITY: Filming your opponents' signals is -- and always has been -- completely legal, even today. After a league memo to all clubs in 2006, however, you can't do it from a location where the team could potentially use it during the same game. As Coach Bill Belichick noted in 2015, 80,000 people can see his team's defensive signals: millions more if a TV camera pans by them. The signals are not meant to be hidden, just as in baseball a third-base coach's signals are not meant to be hidden. They should, however, be properly encrypted, but that is the signaling team's responsibility.

Said former head coach Chuck Knox, about signal stealing: "Most of the time you give a dummy signal. You keep changing them up. Then you have two guys on the sidelines giving them. I think it's a whole lot about nothing."

Also, since I saw it mentioned earlier:

YOU'RE WRONG IF YOU THINK: The Patriots were caught filming their opponents' practices.

REALITY: Not even a little bit true, you are confusing your false accusations with this debunked one.

Spygate was solely about the Patriots filming their 2007 regular season game against the Jets from the wrong location. Later in that same season, The Boston Herald published a false charge that the Patriots filmed the St. Louis Rams' 2002 walkthrough practice prior to Super Bowl XXXVI. The paper later acknowledged its error and issued a front page apology for running the story without sufficiently verifying its source or the charges (page scan for posterity.)

NFL commissioner and former Jets public relations intern Roger Goodell, after meeting with Patriots video man Matt Walsh and 50 other people, cleared the Patriots of any wrongdoing saying that he found no evidence that the Patriots videotaped the walkthrough."

Basically, I'm in line with Boone's thinking, in that don't cheer the rabid dog on just because he's going after that kid you think is a prick. The rabid dog is still a problem, whether or not that kid deserved to be bitten.

The Chargers were coating towels with stickum and then using them to wipe down footballs and the league asked them for the towels,which they refused to give them.

They were fined 20k and told not to do it again.
"However, NFL game officials are charged with protecting the integrity and competitive fairness of the games and club staff members, like players and coaches, have a clear obligation to cooperate in this effort and comply with the direction of game officials.

"As a result of the failure of club staff to follow the directive of a game official to immediately surrender the towels when directed to do so, and to attempt to conceal the towels, the Chargers have been fined $20,000."

Sound familiar?

Roger Goodell and the League office are not held accountable by anyone, so they do whatever they want. From completely ignoring the fines and penalties worked out under the CBA to deeming contracts illegal that they approved of to begin with.

No rhyme or reason to it.

Pretty shitty way to run a league, imo.
Chargers fined $20,000 after 'Stickum' towel inquiry - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.