• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

If Snyder could go 10 years without weird off the field drama between him and local entities while producing a solid contender on the field every year... i think all of that crap would go away.

Cooke was not exactly loved by the fans for a long time either.

Then the '80s came...

I don't think it would take 10 years either...just show us something different. I guess having a GM in place who is not also the coach...or Cerrato is something different.

Joe Gibbs and Jay Gruden share the same initials. JG1. JG2.

Hey, I like it!

Listening to NFL Radio's Opening Drive this AM,they interviewed Brad Johnson and asked him about Jay...

Brad told the story about Jay coming over from his Arena League team,in his spare time mind you, to help Jon out. Said Jon would put him in basically a closet to watch tape and that after hours in there,would come out excited,with all these plays to hit Jon and Brad with.
Said that showed him just how much Jay loved the game and the passion he possessed.

Kind of puts me in the mind of the stories of coaches like George Allen and Gibbs....being locked away in a little room,pouring over film....

Seems like a habit all the good ones have. :)

Sent from my COUCH under the influence

Diesel, of all the fans here, you may end up liking Gruden the most.

His personality is a combination of things I don't believe I've ever seen before. He's a mix of tough old schoolers, like John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. He eats metal and shits nails. He's a football badass who is absolutely possessed with winning football games. He's a rugged sob. He definitely has some Gibbs and Rockne characteristics.

But at other times he's funny as hell. Like comedian funny.

He seems like he should have been coaching 40 years ago, but his offenses are innovative and current at the same time.

He's one of a kind.

I hope to Gawd he's the savior you say he is.

I'm tired of losing.

We all are. I can't take anymore of it.

He's had 3 losing seasons in 31 years. I don't see why that would change now.

I really believe that's why they wanted him. He wins. He motivates, and he wins.

He's in the midst of a snake pit. He has poor personnel on the defense and very, very light-weight o-linemen.

Maybe he can do miracles in the first year, but unless he improves that o-line immediately, our franchise qb will suffer another sub-par year.

While I agree about our line, I actually think Robert can have a season that tops his rookie season behind it if it didn't change. He'll have his full mobility back without the brace. Just prior to the start of the season. I remember seeing something about his legs being stronger then before. and his 40 times faster.

He's in the midst of a snake pit. He has poor personnel on the defense and very, very light-weight o-linemen.

Maybe he can do miracles in the first year, but unless he improves that o-line immediately, our franchise qb will suffer another sub-par year.

He loves linemen. He's not stupid. He spent his entire career as a QB.

I've heard him talk about the importance of the o-line at least 25 different times over the years.

I agree. He was playing behind a line built for the zone run game, and suited to a mobile QB. He hardly ever had the time in he pocket to let the deep plays develop, and every D he faced didn't have the threat of him taking off, so they could just tee off on the light linemen.

Well, I saw happy feet last year...something I didn't see in his first year. Why? It was obviously his mobility suffered from the injury. I don't think the blocking improved. It just became more pronounced that his escapability suffered. Also, Kyle calling long pass plays didn't help matters. I still think he's the best qb we've had since Jorgensen, but if he isn't given time to be a true pocket qb, he'll suffer and so will the team.

I prefer to call them 'I'd rather not have a 3rd ACL/MCL tear' feet :) Our line sucked in pass protection the year prior too - we just had a healthy world class athlete compensating for them. And he IS the best QB we've had since Sammy Baugh (forget Jurgensen). The good news? Gruden knows it. I am confident he'll protect Griffin from his own reckless instincts and find a system that takes advantage of his strengths. I have to believe that.

That's what she said.

While I agree about our line, I actually think Robert can have a season that tops his rookie season behind it if it didn't change. He'll have his full mobility back without the brace. Just prior to the start of the season. I remember seeing something about his legs being stronger then before. and his 40 times faster.

Holy crap! 40x faster!

I prefer to call them 'I'd rather not have a 3rd ACL/MCL tear' feet :) Our line sucked in pass protection the year prior too - we just had a healthy world class athlete compensating for them. And he IS the best QB we've had since Sammy Baugh (forget Jurgensen). The good news? Gruden knows it. I am confident he'll protect Griffin from his own reckless instincts and find a system that takes advantage of his strengths. I have to believe that.

With all due respect, Boone, Griffin is the best athlete we have had under center since Baugh, but he is a long way from the best QB. I'm a big fan and I believe that he can and will be the best QB to play for the Skins since Baugh (maybe ever) but he is green and lacks an understanding of the game anywhere near that of Jurgensen or Kilmer or Theismann at this point. Playing QB is as much or more mental than physical and that part of Griff's game isn't there yet.

He's had 3 losing seasons in 31 years. I don't see why that would change now.

Shanahan could say the same thing, then he was 3 for 4 losing here. Gibbs was a 3 time SB winner and was well below .500 the 2nd time, Schottenheimer went .500 his only season after being the winningest NFL coach from 84-98, Spurrier hadn't had a losing season since the mid 80's at Duke and hasn't had a losing season since his 2 losing seasons as Redskins coach.

The trend is that he WILL lose here so lets hope he can change that trend. It took Lombardi to change it last time.

When your best coach is the first one you fired 14 years ago and his name is Norv Turner and he only won because the owner hadn't destroyed the roster yet then you are just doing it wrong. Lets hope Snyder is finally allowing Allen to do it right and this isn't another Snyderatto deal.

With all due respect, Boone, Griffin is the best athlete we have had under center since Baugh, but he is a long way from the best QB. I'm a big fan and I believe that he can and will be the best QB to play for the Skins since Baugh (maybe ever) but he is green and lacks an understanding of the game anywhere near that of Jurgensen or Kilmer or Theismann at this point. Playing QB is as much or more mental than physical and that part of Griff's game isn't there yet.

don't like going against Boone (not a smart strategy in the long run!!)...but got to agree with ya here. Jurgy was a great QB. and your point on understanding the game, conceding it was a different game at that time, is nevertheless spot on. more than anything, Jurgy had every throw in the book. there wasn't a pass he couldn't throw (bullet, deep, short, touch....). Robert has the best overall set of athletic capabilities we have seen in DC QBs. it'll be up to Gruden and RG to mature that promise into greatness.

Beathard built a line in two years:

Jeff Bostic - waivers from Eagles

Russ Grimm - #3 pick

Mark May - #1 pick

Joe Jacoby - undrafted free agent

George Starke - holdover at LT

Gruden is starting out with a better LT but the team needs to increase the size and strength of the balance of the unit at the point of attack.

If we can get a new RG and RT for 2014 I think we will be competitive on that side of the ball.

He's not ideal but there are worse centers out there than Montgomery.

Another playoff game with another former Redskins' draft pick succeeding in another uniform.

Another playoff game with another former Redskins' draft pick succeeding in another uniform.

Yeah I was thinking that too like wth.

On another note had a buddy on FB that's a DIE HARD bungles fan tell me on Gruden "hope your ready for Hail Mary's on 3rd and one along with NO halftime adjustments".

I still love the hiring and believe the team builds smart starting this offseason. Just wanted to share what some say about our new coach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 9, Members: 3, Guests: 6)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.