• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

we don't need a saviour yet

I don't get what you're saying, Boone.
You're talking about the vet as a backup, and at the same time talking about him getting in the way of the rookie starting right away. How can he be both ?

I'm talking about him being a backup only. Of course the high-priced rookie should start right away. But we should have an experienced vet as a backup, in the event of injury, and as somewhat of a mentor.

I don't see the problem with Orton as a backup only.

And as for Rex : for one thing, he may not be willing to come back as a #2. He may still be under the illusion that he's still can be a #1 somewhere. And secondly I'm not even sure I want a turnover machine as a #2, anyway. I think there's better options out there as a #2, even if they AREN'T familiar with the offense.

Life's too short to live in fear and skepticism. You don't allow yourself the possibility of incredible, wonderful things, when they do happen, you'll be a bystander.

Get on board now. The absolute worst thing any of us risk is more of the same.

I'm done with the nihilism and dread.

I don't get what you're saying, Boone.
You're talking about the vet as a backup, and at the same time talking about him getting in the way of the rookie starting right away. How can he be both ?

Of course the high-priced rookie should start right away. But we should have an experienced vet as a backup, in the event of injury, and as somewhat of a mentor.
I don't see the problem with Orton as a backup only.
As for Rex, for one thing, he may not be willing to come back as a #2. He may still be under the illusion that he's still can be a #1 somewhere. And secondly I'm not even sure I want a turnover machine as a #2, anyway.

No - I'm wasn't talking about the vet as a backup (don't know why I used that term). I was addressing acquiring a vet to start while RGIII is readied for action. I actually think a vet backup makes more sense. Hope that helps. I would support Orton or someone like Orton in that role. Sorry for not being clearer.

Injuries happen, dude. That would be crushingly disappointing, don't get me wrong. But unless he ends up with a Matthew Stafford string of injuries, I don't think injuries qualify him as a bust, imo.
I agree with you but just want to add that Stafford beat the injury bug and had a franchise QB season.

Injury is a risk with any player and not a reason to not make a move on an elite player when you have the chance to do so.

Keep Rex on the bench. Now just focus on Garçon, Colston or Vjax.

Life's too short to live in fear and skepticism. You don't allow yourself the possibility of incredible, wonderful things, when they do happen, you'll be a bystander.

Get on board now. The absolute worst thing any of us risk is more of the same.

I'm done with the nihilism and dread.

I just got married and my wife is pregnant! My life is over! :rotflmao:

With many things in life I am able to find the greatness of it all. When I go out with a camera in my hand, I am often able to see things no one else can and I love that. I could not be happier about my first child! My boy is less than 3 months away from taking his first breath and I will be in the delivery room to witness it. I love my new bride with just about all that I have. But we are talking about the Redskins here. Remember your battered woman analogy? I am not letting the Redskins beat me anymore!

Now, I have had some time to think about RG3 today. Earlier I tried to minimize his potential because I see things I believe should concern everyone. I think many of the pundits are blinded by the electricity. Maybe I am looking through this lens as you suggested in the other thread today John, conditioned thought. I have mentioned some of my concerns so I won't get into it again. Once again this comes down to a risk v. reward understanding. I am frugal, therefore I am less inclined to take such a risk. It has been proven over the years that you do not have to give up the farm to get a franchise QB. And I don't buy the Eli Manning argument. They have won 2 Super Bowls in the last 5 years because they have a disciplined coach who teaches fundamentals. Eli has become a very good QB, but I maintain Phillip Rivers could have done just the same in NY. Eli is the only QB in the last 20 years who has been on a SB winning squad who cost a bevy of first round picks.

Again, I seem to have minimized RG3's worth. I may have given off the impression I do not think he is a Top 5 talent. If we were in the #2 slot, without trading up, there would be no question in my mind RG3 would be the right choice. With his potential, a single 1st round, top 5 pick is the value I would give him. I listened to Adam Schefter say that anyone would give the amount of compensation we did for Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers. Neither RG3 nor Andrew Luck are anywhere near the talent any of those QB's. Neither has taken a snap in the NFL. They have not been named league MVP or SB MVP. They are not Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees or Peyton Manning, therefore that argument is fruitless. What we paid for is potential and I think that cost is too high.

Bottom line, I am going to root for whomever we end up with! I am a fan of the Washington Redskins! If RG3 is our choice at #2, I will root for him the same way I rooted for Rex, John Beck, Joe Theismann, Billy Kilmer, Mark Rypien, Jay Schroeder, Brad Johnson, Marc Brunnell and every other QB who played under center for the Redskins in my lifetime, except maybe Jeff George ;). I am just not as excited about this trade as you guys are. It scares me. I believe this has too much bust potential, especially with the expectations that will be placed on him. If RG3 is our QB next year, I will be one of his biggest fans. I will not root for him to fail, I will hope my fears are proved wrong! After all, I just want to see the Washington Redskins win!

Hail to the Redskins!!!

Well, first of all, I love ya brother. Secondly, I really can understand and appreciate the perspective. But I feel in my bones, RGIII isn't just a special talent, he's a special individual. You're right on one front - Redskins fans aren't looking for a starting QB - they're looking for a ****ing savior. Thing is - I actually believe Griffin could be that special a player for the Redskins.

At some point, even Darth Vadar has to die.

I really believe that the Death Star's demise began with Friday's move up. I hope I'm not wrong, but the possibility I could be won't thwart my enthusiasm and the feeling of confidence I have that I've never been more right about the team I love.

And no matter how you feel right now, or what you are worried about, I know that the first game you watch RGIII put this team on his shoulders and carry us to glory, no one will be cheering more loudly :)

Oh - and I'll go out on a limb here... I'm guessing you're smack dab in the middle of the best year of your life - including your Redskins.

Last edited:
Oh - and I'll go out on a limb here....I'm guessing you're smack dab in the middle of the best year of your life - including your Redskins.

I am gonna hold you to that!

Boone, I will admit, of all the people who have been talking this kid up, you have come the closest to getting me on board, your genuine enthusiasm for this kid has forced me to watch more film on him and read a lot more in depth, I like him, I think he has a good chance to avoid the stigma that I posted earlier, strictly because he is intelligent, and seems to be an amazng character guy, I would cheer for him based on that alone, but what we gave up was so massive, when we really are not that good all around, that I am having trouble seeing how this fits in our " be patient and rebuild the right way". the Giants gave up some serious stuff to get Manning, but they were far better than we are depthwise and at key positions.

I feel in my bones, RGIII isn't just a special talent, he's a special individual.

Ordinarily, I would say something like this is overly dramatic, or at least too flowery. But I get that sense too about this kid. I like him. He seems like he'd be cool to hang with, in addition to having an amazing set of football skills. I think he strikes that perfect balance between the right amount of cockiness, and a humble sense of humor. I don't know how they test for such things, but he's got the attitude of a winning QB, IMO, in every way.

you know ...i don't understand some of our fans, after the last 15 years you would think they would embrace this move...FA's we have signed has not worked and after th4e last 2 QB's ..they would be ready for any kind of change....best move we have made in along time (my opinnion)....i just hope we get RGIII....i know Luck is supposed to be supperior to RGIII ...draft night is comingand i hope Luck is Called at #1.......

Ordinarily, I would say something like this is overly dramatic, or at least too flowery. But I get that sense too about this kid. I like him. He seems like he'd be cool to hang with, in addition to having an amazing set of football skills. I think he strikes that perfect balance between the right amount of cockiness, and a humble sense of humor. I don't know how they test for such things, but he's got the attitude of a winning QB, IMO, in every way.

When I say he's a 'special human being', I'm not talking about his dark eyes or pouty lips, I'm referencing things like his work ethic, attitude, academic ability, unselfishness, humility, etc... Those aren't things that are found, particularly in combination, very often in the NFL, particularly at the QB position, and especially not with a top tier talent. That's what is so exciting about this guy.

Well, we already know who the "camp rookie man-crush" award is going to go to.
Any other rookie is going to have a heck of a hard time matching Griffin in that department.........even the under-dogs.

I love heehaw lol

Dammnit Boone, you will NOT drag me into your mancrush without a fight! I have read a lot about RG3 recently and all of it good, his character is beyond reproach, his work eithic is amazing, his athleticism was excellent, But there have been too many times Ive been burned before, I will cheer for the kid simply because he is a skin, but I refuse to get invested until I see a reason to.

So just for the record, Ryman.....all that table pounding about the "massive" overpaymentm and clear impatient mistake that the Redskins made by putting themselves in position to draft RGIII....you set sail on that campaign with really reading up on and watching film on the guy?

I love heehaw lol

Dammnit Boone, you will NOT drag me into your mancrush without a fight! I have read a lot about RG3 recently and all of it good, his character is beyond reproach, his work eithic is amazing, his athleticism was excellent, But there have been too many times Ive been burned before, I will cheer for the kid simply because he is a skin, but I refuse to get invested until I see a reason to.

You know what Ryman? I'd feel a lot less comfortable with this move if everyone agreed it was brilliant. :)

I totally understand why we made the move for RG3, and I think it has the potential to be brilliant, but I do think it's important to realize that it's no guarantee of anything. You raise some legitimate concerns.

I am excited for this move, if only because it's something we haven't tried before. And I have to fall back on something I've been saying for the past year and change: If our front office knows what it's doing, we'll be fine. Specific to this move: If they targeted RG3, and they know their stuff, we'll be fine.

If our front office doesn't know it's stuff, none of it matters anyway.

I'm tired of 1-2 year stop gaps at QB. Bout time we took a swing at the fence with RG3.

Some people are just happier when they are unhappy.

These two posts sum up this thread quite nicely. Enough is enough!

ENOUGH Rex Grossman
ENOUGH John Beck (John MOTHER****ING BECK!!!!!)
ENOUGH Jason Campbell
ENOUGH Todd Collins (77 year-old Todd Collins!!!!! SERIOUSLY????)
ENOUGH Patrick Ramsey (Patrick RAMSEY!!!!)
ENOUGH Mark Brunell

I don't even want to MENTION the jerkoffs from the Spurrier era, it makes me want to PUKE.

ENOUGH. ENOUGH. ENOUGH.

Just like Diesel said - its about time they swing for the fences. To quote one of my favorite movies of all time:

"That's how you become great, man. You got to hang your balls out there."

Well, here's Shanny and Allen, hanging 'em out there. This is a make-or-break type of move for both. I for one, fully support them both for making it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.