• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Hogs Haven: A Look at All 9 Sacks

with all due respect....so what?

stills are a tool. what matters is what you are looking for, how you use te tool, what you see, how you interpret what you see, and all the acillary information needed for thorough analyis. it's the analysis that matters....which has been my point all along. and analysis encompasses a whole lot more than tools.

plus some common sense. ANYONE who watched that game knows the o-line and scheme broke down fast - to the point that there was insufficient time to execute most of the plays. if a QB is getting 3 secs or less...and is gettng pounded.....is there a correlation between that circumstance and the ability to see the field, make decisions, deploy a play as designed...a whole myriad of things? I'm not thrilled with Beck and see him as victim to some of the same problems Rex had to deal with...though Rex had the starting 5 to work with. I'm not willing to buy into an essentially single variable analysis that doesn't consider the most important factors and which defies the common sense take-away anyone who watched the game knows....which btw...everyne else pretty much admits to when discussing what the priorities ought to be for next off-season.

Admittedly, I did not watch the game, however from those stills I can see that Beck had outlets to avoid at least some of those sacks. A wide-open Fred Davis, throwing the ball away, etc. Sometimes, the OL will break down - it happens to the very best of them. It is on the QB's shoulders to get rid of the ball when that happens.

Al, I personally am not arguing that the OLine should get a free pass, but it seems they are getting an awful lot of blame, more than their fair share, perhaps. The analysis is a talking point, and provides me with something I will be watching much more closely on Sunday.

Plenty of blame to go around for that stinkfest on Sunday. Sleepy aside, I don't think there were any players on offense who had anything to feel at all positive about.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I watched the game. I thought Beck was pretty horrible.

To be fair, I thought the playcalling was pretty bad too. It seemed like we called a lot of slow developing pass-plays. With the injuries we've been dealing with it's way past time to throw those plays out the window.

Al, I personally am not arguing that the OLine should get a free pass, but it seems they are getting an awful lot of blame, more than their fair share, perhaps. The analysis is a talking point, and provides me with something I will be watching much more closely on Sunday.

Plenty of blame to go around for that stinkfest on Sunday. Sleepy aside, I don't think there were any players on offense who had anything to feel at all positive about.

Goal...you're keeping in character and trying to be fair! thank goodness I'm not built like that! I kid.

I watched the game...well the 1st half and the start of the second before I couldn't take it anymore. I was counting off time in my head on every pass play...and it just wasn't enough...especially for any plays that required developed patterns. so I respect the effort....but I know what I watched...and the line was simply not up to NFL standards. as you well know...we Redskin fans have become rather adept at recognizing bad pass blocking over the years!

now...I will agree that it's a big ????? whether Beck is seeing the field and making good decisions. I have my own doubts. I'm just not willing to make that assertion until there's at least 4-5 secs for the longer developing plays. take those stills.....the players may be open...but if Beck is under consistent pressure and being physically manhandled (as he was) his eyes may actually have been on the line and shifting at the last moment downfield. I was listening to a former QB say as much happens just the other day on NFL Today.

and yea....I react because I just can't fathom having to watch rex again. Here's oping we finally solve our QB issues in the off-season.

Usually when a debate is this closely fought the answer is that both parties bear responsibility.

The Redskins offensive line especially the interior with Cook at center and Montgomery/Chester at the OG is very limited.

John Beck meanwhile is an inexperienced qb who is 30 years old and has been around for 5 years. He has a limited arm and as demonstrated on Sunday little awareness of where the rush is coming from when in the pocket.

Altogether with Beck and the OL, how many of these guys are legit NFL performers?

4 seconds is a long time, 5 seconds is a millennium in football time. 3 seconds is the accepted time a QB should have to get the ball out on most plays, 4 seconds for longer developing plays. 5 seconds is a sack I'd bet around 75-85% of the time.

That's gratuitous, so what.

The point is we made a defense of castoffs and low round picks look like the 1985 Bears.

It's not just Beck or the OL. It's everyone on this offense.

Right now if you were starting over who would you take?

Davis. Trent Williams for potential. Darrel Young. Paulsen as a blocking TE behind Davis. Hankerson for his potential.

That's about it.

The balance of the offensive players are marginal NFL talents.

That's gratuitous, so what.

The point is we made a defense of castoffs and low round picks look like the 1985 Bears.

It's not just Beck or the OL. It's everyone on this offense.

Right now if you were starting over who would you take?

Davis. Trent Williams for potential. Darrel Young. Paulsen as a blocking TE behind Davis. Hankerson for his potential.

That's about it.

The balance of the offensive players are marginal NFL talents.

I'm not sure what you are calling gratuitous. 4 or 5 seconds or the fact they were credited with another sack? I wasn't responding to you, just posting it as general information.

The fact it went from 9 to 10.

The final number is irrelevant to The reality of 23-0.

That is what folks should be zoning in on.

4 seconds is a long time, 5 seconds is a millennium in football time. 3 seconds is the accepted time a QB should have to get the ball out on most plays, 4 seconds for longer developing plays. 5 seconds is a sack I'd bet around 75-85% of the time.

well...that's one set of metrics. not sure I agree and will leave it at that.

I do know that 3 secs last Sunday resulted in mutiple sacks - the QB didn't have time to digest info.....he was too busy dodging tacklers or being jammed into the turf.

I do know that 3 secs last Sunday resulted in mutiple sacks - the QB didn't have time to digest info.....he was too busy dodging tacklers or being jammed into the turf.

That was the point of the analysis though - that he didn't see the field correctly/accurately. Its on him, nobody else, to make his reads quickly and get the ball out.

Here is a website that talks about the 2.9 second rule:

An accurate internal clock: A pro quarterback must have an internalized understanding that on most passing plays his pressure is going to break down within 2.9 seconds of the snap from center. At that point the ball either needs to be out of his hand or he’s moving to an open area of the field to release the ball. When a quarterback has a strong sense of timing paired good peripheral vision to sense pressure, he will make fewer mistakes than his peers even when he has to break the 2.9-Second Rule just long enough to successfully execute a play.

Here is an article that cites 2.7-2.8 seconds "in general" when a sack occurs (surprise, surprise, Jason Campbell is at the top of the list for holding the ball too long):

In general, the average sack occurs around 2.7 to 2.8 seconds after the snap of the ball. Consider that the internal clock a quarterback must have--while the timing can depend somewhat on whether it's a four-man rush or an all-out blitz, in general if a quarterback holds the ball for more than three seconds, he's in trouble.

Atlanta Skins Fan was right about Beck and made a strong case for Clemens to be the backup over him.

Beck hasn't done anything. no argument there.

Rex isn't interesting. He's an embarrassment as a professional athlete. and a crappy QB to boot. I'd rather watch Beck flounder than Rex butterball his way around the field while fumbling and tossing INTs.

but we've had this exchange before......:)

ughhhh...stuck in QB *ell!!!!

Well at least Rex will make a play downfield once in a while. Watching QBs hold the ball and contantly dump it off irritates me more than watching Rex butterball his way around out there lol. But you're right, they both stink.

I guess it's kinda like choosing between burning to death and drowning to death '62. either way you wind up with the same result...

Well, this is how I see it...

Do you want a slap in the face or a kick on the bottom?

After watching that last game I felt like I had been slapped in the face and kicked in the bottom.

I guess it's kinda like choosing between burning to death and drowning to death '62. either way you wind up with the same result...

perfect analogy my fractious BGO brotha!

I have backed off Beck...he aint even close. and you know how I feel about Rex.

pl pass the Jack Daniels....it's gonna be a long season until the traditional redskin competition - off-season - really begins!

I clicked the link and only got this:

okay-so-there.jpg

It was part of a 500 error.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.