• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

My Bad: Redskins May Get High Pick After All

Yes, but where were some of these quarterbacks taken? :)

Drew Brees - second round pick
Tom Brady - sixth round pick
Kurt Warner - undrafted free agent
Ben Roethlisberger - mid first round selection
Aaron Rodgers - late first round selection

most of these players were NOT top 3-5 picks in the draft.

Brady and Warner are something out of a Disney movie. You will drive yourself crazy trying to find the next one of them.

Aikman, the Mannings, and Elway were all the first overall pick. Young was a first round pick in two leagues, I think. Brees was the first pick of the second round.

I would say that if you want your "QB of the future," you had better pull the trigger in the first 40 or so picks of the draft. Either that or hit the lotto.

Yes I agree which is why i am not in favor of trading up for Luck. There are going to be some very good QBs available in the upper - middle of the first round. Find the guy that fits our team the best, and continue to build around him.

Brady and Warner are something out of a Disney movie. You will drive yourself crazy trying to find the next one of them.

I agree with this as well, but John Beck is not the sequel to that movie lol...

Troy Aikman - first overall
Steve Young - first overall pick (USFL supplemental draft)
John Elway - first overall
Peyton Manning - first overall
Eli Manning - first overall

That's 9 superbowls won by first-overall picks. You may not NEED a top pick, but it certainly helps. :)

Lanky, I think-I am going to do some digging on this-that what's being shown here is that there is more than one type of team/QB combination that can bring success. Look at the Redskins in 1991. Rypien was not an elite QB by any stretch of the imagination but that team was so talent-loaded across the board that it dominated like few teams in NFL history. You mentioned the Ravens and the Bucs and their strong D's-I would include the Panthers in SB XXXVIII among the excellent Ds, actually the discussion could include all the teams that played in the SB since it's a hell of an accomplishment just to do that.

My point is that the approach toward looking at a QB for the future should not be solely based on the hopes of stumbling across the next Brady, Brees, or Rodgers but include the possibility of surrounding a good-to-very-good QB with enough support talent to succeed.

Aikman, the Mannings, and Elway were all the first overall pick. Young was a first round pick in two leagues, I think. Brees was the first pick of the second round.

I would say that if you want your "QB of the future," you had better pull the trigger in the first 40 or so picks of the draft. Either that or hit the lotto.

But there's FAR more early-picked QB's that turned out to be busts, than there were QB's who lived up to their billing

But there's FAR more early-picked QB's that turned out to be busts, than there were QB's who lived up to their billing

Is that true though?

Since 1980, top 5 QBs:
Cam Newton (1)
Sam Bradford (1)
Matt Stafford (1)
Mark Sanchez (5)
Matt Ryan (3)
JaMarcus Russel (1)
Vince Young (3)
Alex Smith (1)
Eli Manning (1)*
Phil Rivers (4)
Carson Palmer (1)
David Carr (1)
Joey Harrington (3)
Mike Vick (1)
Tim Couch (1)
Donovan McNabb (2)*
Akili Smith (3)
Peyton Manning (1)*
Ryan Leaf (2)
Steve McNair (3)*
Kerry Collins (5)*
Heath Shuler (3)
Drew Bledsoe (1)
Rick Mirer (2)
Jeff George (1)
Troy Aikman (1)*
Vinny Testaverde (1)
Jim Everett (3)
John Elway (1)*
Art Schlicter (4)
Jim McMahon (5)*

That's only 11 of 31 QBs who you can honestly say were outright busts, versus 15 who could be classified as #1 overall pick worthy. There's 5 who the jury is still out on (red), but even if they all turn out to be busts, that's still only 16 vs. 15.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still a high percentage of top picks down the drain, Lanky.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

one could argue very easily that some of the guys you listed as solid were busts for the team that drafted them. Kerry Collins, and jim mcmahon were not exactly guys who were worth a number 1 pick to the team who drafted them. hell even bledsoe only had a career high rating of 87, if im drafting that high im expecting a multiple probowl multiple all pro qb who has a rating in the ninties every season (given the caveat that I surround him with talent first)

It is still better than tossing a coin; the probability is at least above 50%, if not more. Most other draft picks' success rates are well below 50%.

Last edited:
less than half were busts. The skins need to take that chance.

Yes, indeed. But my point was that there's not FAR more busts than successes as was suggested.

And on top of that, 8 of those QBs went to 11 superbowls. So QBs drafted in the top 5 picks have been to over 35% of superbowls since 1980. That's pretty good odds...

Unless the Redskins can identify and trade for a younger player with some game experience like the Texans did with Matt Schaub, the team is going to have to use the draft.

And that means taking a risk.

Get used to it.

Kerrigan and Jenkins were the right choices. Everyone here always talks about taking care of the talent up front on both sides of the ball as the hallmark of your team, so let's not be pollyanas now that the Redskins did that instead of taking a quarterback.

It's not like the Redskins were in position to grab Cam Newton or Andrew Luck.

Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder look like they may be decent NFL quarterbacks, what if Kerrigan and Jenkins turn out to be superior talents in the front seven? :)
:clap2: :clap2:

One should never fight the prevailing winds of talent in a draft. All things being equal, I'd rather have improved our DL from one of the strongest DL drafts in quite a while than to have gotten the 3rd or 4th best QB from IMHO a relatively weak QB draft.

By all accounts the 2012 draft looks to be a good one for QBs. To paraphrase Serv, I'd rather we put the best team possible around a franchise QB rather than hoping that the QB can carry a flawed team by himself. See (pre Shanny) John Smellway, Steve Young/Doug Williams in Tampa, and to some degree Dan Marino in Miami for how that formula typically works out.

:clap2: :clap2:

One should never fight the prevailing winds of talent in a draft. All things being equal, I'd rather have improved our DL from one of the strongest DL drafts in quite a while than to have gotten the 3rd or 4th best QB from IMHO a relatively weak QB draft.

By all accounts the 2012 draft looks to be a good one for QBs. To paraphrase Serv, I'd rather we put the best team possible around a franchise QB rather than hoping that the QB can carry a flawed team by himself. See (pre Shanny) John Smellway, Steve Young/Doug Williams in Tampa, and to some degree Dan Marino in Miami for how that formula typically works out.

couldnt agree more, but we are a truly flawed team at the moment and cant afford to only go BPA we also have massive holes to fill, we need OLINE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.