• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Mock Drafts Thread

Uh BB? Two O line picks in the top ten in back to back years? I would LOVE that, but am not sure it fits into the Washington Redskins organizational vision.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I just don't see them going OL in the top 10. Maybe with a trade-down they'll go OL in the first round, but otherwise I just don't see it. They'll get an impact player for the 3-4 if they stay at #10, I'd be willing to bet a lot of money on that.

SB Nation's final mock draft before the Combine. Definitely do not see the Skins going WR at 10.

1. Carolina Panthers: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn. At the moment, there is still no better blend of talent and filling a need in one player for Carolina than Nick Fairley. The most disruptive defender available this year, Fairley would slide into the center of Ron Rivera's 4-3 defense and be given the opportunity to wreak havoc from day one.

2. Denver Broncos: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU. A particularly tough team to project, Denver's needs are so dire defensively that they can pretty much take the best defender on their board (minus anyone Carolina takes, of course). Given that Champ Bailey can't play forever and has a house on the market, Peterson makes sense here.

3. Buffalo Bills: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri. Right now, quarterback is a trendy pick for the Bills, and with good reason: in Ryan Fitzpatrick, they have a guy that can bridge the gap until a new guy is ready to play. It seems odd, however, that Cam Newton gets all the play here when Gabbert has the tools to be the better pro.

4. Cincinnati Bengals: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson. It's easy to pencil A.J. Green in here, because he's arguably the best player available. It'd also be easy to pencil Newton in here, given the whole Carson Palmer trade demand drama. Cincinnati's got needs on the other side of the ball, and Bowers would be a nice fit.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M. Arizona desperately needs a quarterback; John Skelton isn't ready to play. Ken Whisenhunt may end up choosing to go the veteran route there, however, freeing the Cards up to address by far their biggest defensive need - an elite edge rusher.

6. Cleveland Browns: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia. Moving to the 4-3 defense under Dick Jauron, it'd take a lot to keep Cleveland from beginning that transition with their first-round pick. "A lot" falls to the Browns in this scenario; he'd be the only right move for a team building around a young quarterback (Colt McCoy).

7. San Francisco 49ers: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama. Quarterback is a need, but Newton doesn't fit Jim Harbaugh's personality or offensive system. San Francisco has bigger problems defending the pass than the run, but Dareus can help the team out in both areas.

8. Tennessee Titans: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn. People will inevitably come to the conclusion that the Titans either will, or will not, consider Newton because of the concluding Vince Young era. Vince Young has nothing to do with Cam Newton. The Titans need a quarterback, and Newton is a potential star.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska. This might be a hair too early for Amukamara, but he'd have a hard time not improving the Cowboys' secondary. Whether he played at corner or safety, Amukamara would fill a huge need for Dallas at the back end of a still-talented defense.

10. Washington Redskins: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama. With the top two quarterbacks off the board (and one not really a fit for Mike Shanahan's offense to begin with), the Redskins could either address their defense, or try to boost their very weak receiving corps. Jones is good value and a nice fit in Shanahan's scheme.

11. Houston Texans: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina. Houston is becoming a fairly easy projection: in any scenario, find the best front seven defender for a 3-4 defense, and make that the Texans' pick. Here, it's Quinn, who has the pass rushing acumen and natural athleticism to play outside linebacker in the scheme.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Tyron Smith, OT, USC. Minnesota has needs aplenty, but arguably their most urgent - aside from QB - is to fix their once-dominant offensive line. Smith may not be the most talented lineman this year, but it's very close - and if he weighs in at or around 300 pounds at the NFL Combine, he could be the first OT gone.

13. Detroit Lions: Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA. There are definitely better value picks that the Lions could make here, but Ayers would fill one of the team's bigger needs while offering versatility and very few on-field weaknesses. He'd start immediately for a Detroit team on the rise.

14. St. Louis Rams: Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri. Steve Spagnuolo was part of a Giants organization known for stocking up on defensive ends; he hasn't had the opportunity to do that yet in St. Louis. The team does need to complement Chris Long, however, and Smith's athleticism and upside are both through the roof.

15. Miami Dolphins: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama. Fixing the running game is the priority - and without an elite interior offensive lineman (or, ahem, a quarterback) to take here, the Dolphins may very well settle for a super-productive running back that, for whatever reason, continues to fly under the radar.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Cameron Jordan, DE, California. It's rare these days that you see Jordan slip this far in a mock scenario - and while that seems unlikely, it would make for an interesting storyline. In Jacksonville, Jordan would be re-united with college teammate Tyson Alualu, drafted No. 10 overall just a year ago.

17. New England Patriots: J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin. The 2010 draft class was full of promising young talent for New England, but they need to continue re-stocking their defense with more young talent. Watt is the prototypical five-technique that will help as both a run defender and pass rusher in Bill Belichick's defense.

18. San Diego Chargers: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado. Solder is one of the tougher prospects to get a read on - some scouts love his talent and upside, others think he's soft and not ready to play. San Diego's pass-first offense would allow Solder to grow as a player while starting right away at right tackle.

19. New York Giants: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College. Offensively, the Giants need to begin planning for the future at offensive tackle, where both David Diehl and Kareem McKenzie are aging. Castonzo has good school pedigree and some upside, along with the ability to play on either the left side or the right.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue. Tampa Bay's need at defensive end is very desperate; lucky for them, this draft class is wealthy with talented defensive linemen. Kerrigan is not a great athlete, but will still be a very good NFL edge rusher because of elite intangibles and a ferocious on-field disposition.

I just don't see them going OL in the top 10. Maybe with a trade-down they'll go OL in the first round, but otherwise I just don't see it. They'll get an impact player for the 3-4 if they stay at #10, I'd be willing to bet a lot of money on that.

With all the needs on offense, an offensive minded coach with an offensive coordinator son whose coaching legacy is being molded, do you really think Mike Shanahan is capable of drafting a defensive player in the first?

I understand there are no interior O-line prospects worth a top 10 pick, I know he is not stupid enough to take a WR, but you don't think he has his eye on one of the QB's or a pick like BB has suggested as a top priority in this draft? I don't even think he is considering a trade down. I think his mind is made up and I am afraid we are going QB with this pick.

I hope you're right. I just don't have confidence in Shanahan to make such a wise move.

I hope you're right. I just don't have confidence in Shanahan to make such a wise move.

I know its very different situations, but 7 times in 14 drafts w/ the Broncos, Shanahan took a defensive player with his first pick (once in the 2nd round). So, we've got a 50/50 shot! ;)

I know its very different situations, but 7 times in 14 drafts w/ the Broncos, Shanahan took a defensive player with his first pick (once in the 2nd round). So, we've got a 50/50 shot! ;)

Yeah, not trying to get too argumentative over this because I think you're right about who we should be focusing on drafting, but there is the fact that he regularly had a good offense in Denver so he had the luxury of drafting defense in the first round half the time. :moon:

You are correct, with the 3-4 in place, we need our BJ Raji or Hali Ngata. Unfortunately, I just see Shanahan making decisions based on his legacy and the future of his son. I don't see that jibe with making the defense much better before the offense is improved.

The legacy of his son factor is interesting...but I think he understands that overall winning is more important to a legacy than anything else.

The legacy of his son factor is interesting...but I think he understands that overall winning is more important to a legacy than anything else.

Oh, I agree! I just think his way of thinking is offense first, especially with his son to consider. I believe Mike is using this experience in DC to groom his son. I don't believe that is his priority here, I think his own legacy is priority. I guess the means don't matter, just as long as the ends are achieved, a winning team in the maroon and black!

Yeah, agreed El. That interview really turned me off when i heard about it. I always hated when LeBron said he wanted to be a global icon. Tell you what, both of you. Why don't you win something first, then we can talk. Until then, STFU, k?

Reading Newton's comments about being an entertainter and icon hopefully will send up a ton of red flags to the Redskin FO. Him and his father are a disaster waiting to happen.

He may have all the physical tools, but the whistling he hears is the wind passing between his ears.

Some of the mocks I've seen recently have Newton going to Carolina, Buffalo, or San Fransisco and fewer of them seem to have him going to the Redskins. There are some placing Gabbert at #10 and the Skins grabbing him but I don't think Gabbert will fall that far myself. Basically, if current trends continue the whole Newton question may be moot on draft day as far as the Redskins go.

I pray someone else takes him, especially after that interview. We already have one big headcase on the team. We certainly don't need another

The RT from USC came in bigger and stronger at today's weigh-in at the combine. Ugh. Hope he is still an option when the 'Skins pick.

If we draft Newton, I may turn in my fan card. Its a long way to the draft - there is always a lot of excessively negative and positive hyperventilating that goes on associated with the combine. Then the draft comes along, and teams do what they mostly planned on doing all along. I think the impact of the combine is way overhyped, not that it can't move a guy up and down the board, but not nearly to the degree some believe. All that being said, I think Newton's talented enough that someone well prior to the 10th pick will take him. I'm in the minority here though - I think we take (and ought to take) a QB if Rocker or Gabbert are still on the board.

Some of the mocks I've seen recently have Newton going to Carolina, Buffalo, or San Fransisco and fewer of them seem to have him going to the Redskins. There are some placing Gabbert at #10 and the Skins grabbing him but I don't think Gabbert will fall that far myself. Basically, if current trends continue the whole Newton question may be moot on draft day as far as the Redskins go.
Newton and Gabbert gone long before #10 you say? :clap2: :clap2: Let's keep our fingers crossed.

If we draft Newton, I may turn in my fan card. Its a long way to the draft - there is always a lot of excessively negative and positive hyperventilating that goes on associated with the combine. Then the draft comes along, and teams do what they mostly planned on doing all along. I think the impact of the combine is way overhyped, not that it can't move a guy up and down the board, but not nearly to the degree some believe. All that being said, I think Newton's talented enough that someone well prior to the 10th pick will take him. I'm in the minority here though - I think we take (and ought to take) a QB if Rocker or Gabbert are still on the board.

I'm not sure if that was a typo or not, but I like it!

I think the combine can definitely move a guy into the next round, and in rare cases, a couple rounds (and the other direction also, which I think is more frequent).

Too many teams need QBs ahead of us that unless Gabbert completely craps the bed, neither he nor Newton will be there when we pick. And if he does crap the bed at the combine, we probably don't want him anyway.

We are probably not taking a QB with our first pick unless we trade up which might cause things to be broken in my house.

Cowboys owner and G.M. Jerry Jones always wants to create a buzz with his team’s first-round draft pick. Now there’s talk that he’s looking at drafting the player who’s generating the most buzz of any prospect in this year’s draft: Auburn quarterback Cam Newton.

He and Dez Bryant would make an interesting pair both on and off the field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.