• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Mock Drafts Thread

It has been reported that Cam Newton is now on the top of six team's draft boards with special interest by the Dolphins. If his stock continues this sharp rise buoyed by Dilfer's glowing assessment, he may be gone by pick #10 anyway, thus making the question of the Redskins getting him moot.

Link: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/2/10/1985219/2011-nfl-draft-cam-newton-auburn-big-board

I've been seeing news about another Cam, Cameron Jordan the DE/DT from Calif. I've seen a few mocks with him going to the Redskins, most notably Walter Football. Here's the Walter Football blurb on why.

10. Washington Redskins: Cameron Jordan, DE/DT, California
The Redskins need a quarterback, but with Blaine Gabbert off the board, there is no signal-caller worth taking at No. 10. And no, Washington will not consider Cam Newton. He doesn't fit the offense, and Daniel Snyder may have an aversion to Auburn quarterbacks.

If Gabbert is unavailable, the Redskins will take the best defensive player available shore up a stop unit that ranked 29th against both the run (YPC) and the pass (YPA).

Washington needs an upgrade at right end over Kedric Golston. Cameron Jordan might be the best talent available. Jordan had an incredible season with 12.5 TFL and 5.5 sacks. He was unblockable during the Senior Bowl practices. In fact, Marvin Lewis nearly kicked him out for hitting the quarterback.

Other 2011 NFL Draft Possibilities:

1. Blaine Gabbert, QB - If the Titans don't like Blaine Gabbert, the Redskins may draft him.

2. Julio Jones, WR - Julio Jones could be the best player on Washington's board. With Santana Moss entering free agency, the Redskins will be desperate for a receiver.

Link:http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

Doc Walker was talking about how impressive Cam Newton is. Doc feels the kid will be a star. He was asked should the Redskins draft him.

Doc's response was they don't ask his opinion, but if they did he would say OL or DL. He believes your first pick should be a Big Ugly.

The Halleluiah Chorus you may have heard about 1:15 PM today was me. It was right after Mel Kiper said he has Cam Newton shooting up and predicts he will be first QB taken. Kiper says will go in top five and long before our pick. This news made me break out into song.

Agreed.

You just knew at least one QB was going to jump up into the top 5. Newton was the first. My only question is if we'll get more than one that makes the big move up the board. History tells me yes. Don't believe the hype. We can't let ourselves get Mike Mamula'd.

Blaine Gabbert has been flirting with top 5. A good combine performance will cement that projection I'd wager.

I think Gabbard and Newton are off the board when we pick at 10.

I don't get the hang up on Gabbert. He's got a big arm and great size (I guess I answered my own question eh?) but he played in a spread offense. That almost never translates to the NFL.

Sporting News released a mock several hours ago.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/fee...ft-alabama-dt-marcell-dareus-moves-up-to-no-1

1. Carolina Panthers: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
Although the Panthers consider taking an end, they have a much bigger need inside because they have young ends Everette Brown and Greg Hardy and could re-sign DE Charles Johnson. Nick Fairley is tempting, but questions about his maturity level contribute to Dareus’ rise to No. 1.

2. Denver Broncos: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
Denver has a lot of needs, but new coach John Fox remembers Julius Peppers’ impact on Carolina's defense and grabs Bowers, who has the talent to be as good a player as Peppers.

3. Buffalo Bills: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
The Bills struggled greatly to pressure the quarterback in 2010, and Miller gives them an explosive edge rusher who can be productive as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 and as an end in a 4-3.

4. Cincinnati Bengals: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco may not return to the Bengals. If their passing offense is going to produce, it will need a big-play receiver such as Green.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
After losing Kurt Warner to retirement, the Cardinals were terrible on offense last season. So they grab the strong-armed Gabbert, who has many of the necessary traits to become a very good NFL quarterback.

6. Cleveland Browns: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
With the Browns switching back to a 4-3 scheme, they need pass-rushing ends. Quinn is a very explosive, polished pass rusher who can start early in his career.

7. San Francisco 49ers: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
The 49ers, who would like to add a pass rusher or a quarterback in the first round, fall in love with Peterson's athleticism and overlook his lack of consistent production.

8. Tennessee Titans: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
The Titans’ defense has not been the same since losing Albert Haynesworth—and the explosive, super-athletic Fairley gives them the interior force they desperately needs.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
The Cowboys need more playmakers in the secondary, and Prince gives them a tough, physical and athletic corner.

10. Washington Redskins: Jake Locker, QB, Washington
Despite concerns about Locker's accuracy, coach Mike Shanahan grabs the athletic, strong-armed QB with the belief he can solve his problems and turn him into a star.

11. Houston Texans: Jabaal Sheard, OLB, Pittsburgh
New defensive coordinator Wade Phillips needs edge pass rushers, and Sheard has the tools to be an impact pass rusher who can help the Texans’ defense make the transition to the 3-4.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
New coach Leslie Frazier gambles that Newton will grow and develop into a Big Ben type of impact quarterback.

13. Detroit Lions: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
The Lions’ offense isn’t going to take the next step if it can’t keep Stafford healthy. Castonzo is ready to step in and play left tackle as a rookie and could become special in time.

14. St. Louis Rams: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
Sam Bradford had a very good rookie season, but he needs some weapons to continue his development. Jones is an elite prospect.

15. Miami Dolphins: Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech
Ronnie Brown isn’t likely to return, and Williams brings the explosiveness, vision, instincts and natural run skills to be a dynamic back in the NFL.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
The Jaguars have struggled to find a playmaking cornerback, and Smith has the height, long arms and man coverage skills tp be a great fit in the team’s scheme.

More at the above link.

I think Gabbard and Newton are off the board when we pick at 10.
This is fully 1/3rd of my dream draft scenario for us. The other 2/3rds involves one of the top two corners dropping to #10 and us playing the Texans and Lions against each other and trading down---> Pouncey and Jerrell Powe

This is fully 1/3rd of my dream draft scenario for us. The other 2/3rds involves one of the top two corners dropping to #10 and us playing the Texans and Lions against each other and trading down---> Pouncey and Jerrell Powe

Peterson is almost assuredly gone, and Amukamara will likely go to Dallas just before us, but I would love to see us trade down also. If Pouncey turned out to be as good or close to as good as his brother, we would do well to draft him. Add one of the 2 Pro-Bowl interior lineman who are left in FA since Mankins was Franchised and our offense just got better.

The mock drafts will continue to say the Skins will take at QB with #10, they will not. Shanahan collects picks and has too many holes, he will trade down; if not he will take the BPA at our most critical need. Here is my reasoning why BPA will not be a QB:

1. Heading into the 2011 draft, the Redskins currently have seven picks: a 1st, a 2nd, two 5ths, a 6th, and two 7ths. The extra 5th and 7th rounders are conditional picks resulting from the Jammal Brown and Justin Tryon (Colts) trades.

2. The Skins most pressing needs are D-Line, O-Line, Inside/outside LB, and to a lesser extent - WR, CB, and S; in that order.

3. WR, CB, and S can all be addressed with a 5, 7, and 7 round pick accordingly.

4. The other 5th round pick will be used on the O-line.

5. The 1st and 2nd will go to filling the D-line and inside/outside LB positions.

6. The 6th rounder will be used to pick up a QB

What happens if Shanahan is still in love with Locker? Trade down scenario holds water but Locker becomes the mid teens draft pick for the Skins.

The mock drafts will continue to say the Skins will take at QB with #10, they will not. Shanahan collects picks and has too many holes, he will trade down; if not he will take the BPA at our most critical need. Here is my reasoning why BPA will not be a QB:

1. Heading into the 2011 draft, the Redskins currently have seven picks: a 1st, a 2nd, two 5ths, a 6th, and two 7ths. The extra 5th and 7th rounders are conditional picks resulting from the Jammal Brown and Justin Tryon (Colts) trades.

2. The Skins most pressing needs are D-Line, O-Line, Inside/outside LB, and to a lesser extent - WR, CB, and S; in that order.

3. WR, CB, and S can all be addressed with a 5, 7, and 7 round pick accordingly.

4. The other 5th round pick will be used on the O-line.

5. The 1st and 2nd will go to filling the D-line and inside/outside LB positions.

6. The 6th rounder will be used to pick up a QB

why waste a 6th rdr like that?

the really critical gap on this team has been....and continues to be...QB. but you take your chances when they are there in the first round. if not....pass for the rest of the draft...and hope for the best next year!

I see what you are saying. So your opinion is that there is not a single QB in this draft that will go on to be a franchise QB. So do we move up and get Luck in 2012? How do land that QB that the Skins are missing?

I see what you are saying. So your opinion is that there is not a single QB in this draft that will go on to be a franchise QB. So do we move up and get Luck in 2012? How do land that QB that the Skins are missing?

well...I'm kinda like everyone else: I'm left with what I read in the rags. None of the names mentioned jump out (i.e., Colt Brennan revisited). Personally, if we can't get one of the top 3 guys....I say use the second round pick on a guard, tackle, center, DT...or LB. We should get immediate return at least. how to fix the QB problem? I dunno. I do know we have a decent draft position in the first round to do something.

Andrew Luck was never going to be a Redskin, whether he was in this year's draft or next years. We would have to give 3 #1's for the privilege, and that's not going to happen. I'm of the belief that we almost have to draft a QB this year or next. McNabb is gone and unless you guys are fine with Rex Grossman for the foreseeable future, I'm not sure how we don't expend our top pick on a QB this year or next? It's inevitable, and not necessarily a wrong-headed move. That position is just too critical not to make a move if a guy you think can be 'the guy' is available in the first round. You can't count on stumbling onto him in later rounds.

If Gabbert or Locker are there at #10, I'm guessing he'll be a Redskin. And I'll have no problem with that.

I'll be honest, I am on the Locker bandwagon and I think he would be a great QB for us. Will he be Peyton Manning? No, but he could be as good as Eli and I would take that any day of the week. Locker needs a year to sit just like Eli did. So, Donovan or Rex would be the 2011 starter while Locker learns from the bench. Shanahan loved Locker before 2010 draft and I don't think anything has changed.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, I am on the Locker bandwagon and I think he would be a great QB for us. Will he be Peyton Manning? No, but he could be as good as Eli and I would take that any day of the week. Locker needs a year to sit just like Eli did. So, Donovan or Rex would be the 2011 starter while Locker learns from the bench. Shanahan loved Locker before 2010 draft and I don't think anything has changed.

here's hoping he's as good as you say! the team can't afford another QB mistake.

Due to the mistakes that we have made, it has made me think that skipping the QB position (like you suggested) might not be a terrible way to go either.

Tyron Smith, OT from USC is the pick at ten. He played only at RT during his college career, so he would be a great pick here. Rated 8th best overall prospect in the draft.

NFP Mock draft...

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Mock-Draft-10.html

1 CAR Nick Fairley DT Auburn
2 DEN Patrick Peterson CB LSU
3 BUF Cameron Newton QB Auburn
4 CIN DaQuan Bowers DE Clemson
5 ARI Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri
6 CLE A.J. Green WR Georgia
7 SF Von Miller OLB Texas A&M
8 TEN Cameron Jordan DE California
9 DAL Robert Quinn DE North Carolina
10 WAS Tyron Smith OT USC
11 HOU Marcell Dareus DT Alabama
12 MIN Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas
13 DET Brandon Harris CB Miami-Florida
14 STL Julio Jones WR Alabama
15 MIA Mark Ingram RB Alabama
16 JAX Akeem Ayers OLB UCLA
17 NE Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska
18 SD Jon Baldwin WR Pittsburgh
19 NYG Anthony Castonzo OT Boston College
20 TB Aldon Smith DE Missouri
21 KC Justin Houston OLB Georgia
22 IND Derek Sherrod OT Mississippi State
23 PHI Mike Pouncey C Florida
24 NO Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa
25 SEA Nate Solder OT Colorado
26 BAL Jimmy Smith CB Colorado
27 ATL Ryan Kerrigan DE Purdue
28 NE Benjamin Ijalana OT Villanova
29 CHI Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin
30 NYJ Danny Watkins OG Baylor
31 PIT Phil Taylor DT Baylor
32 GB J.J. Watt DE Wisconsin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.