• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

A Logical, Reasoned Criticism of Donovan McNabb

Other than that he's a real bargain. :)

:rotflmao:

I don't blame McNabb. Just like the Eagles I saw this coming. How did anyone expect a 34 year-old QB to walk into a new system with no talent around him and expect to him to lead a competitive offense? By the time he's got a team around him he'll be ready to retire. I can only hope his mentoring skills are so awesome that whomever we actually draft to replace him learns a lot from McNabb before that happens. I hope it justifies the picks we gave up.

Sigh.

LOL Henry, I remember a couple of us getting called idiots for saying this wasnt a great idea. the phrase elite qb came up quite often lol.
I dont blame Mcrapp, why would he turn down a chance to keep playing? I blame the guy who thought it was a great idea to trade a second and 4th for a guy who was obviously on the decline and didnt fit his template other than in a very general sense.

Mcnabb 5 years ago would be a solid fit because he was dynamic and mobile, Mcnabb now is gunshy and hears footsteps.

Kdawg quick question, whats our redzone percentage? because I dont see a real difference in how often we score actual tds.

I was at the game yesterday with Brother Om, and my assessment mirrors your all's. Thing is, it wasn't just that series, although we were successful on the final drive (setting aside epic fail on the extra point), McNabb showed no sense of urgency. Even when calling timeouts, he's laconic about it. He looks like he's barely got his head in the game. I also think he plays more than a 2nd year guy vs. a savvy experienced vet most of the time. He rarely makes a positive adjustment at the LOS, doesn't appear to be particularly adept at recognizing defenses and adjusting plays before the snap to take advantage of it, and makes questionable decisions under pressure. I just haven't been impressed, and that's coming from someone who preaches patience and the challenges of starting over with a new offense, roster, and coaching staff.

Bottom line, I think we got jobbed on McNabb. Then again, we've been getting taken by other team's front offices for years. I will be surprised if we don't jettison McNabb after year one. There's not just been enough capable play there to warrant continuing down that path. But that begs the obvious question, if not McNabb who? Even if we go for a young QB in the draft, unlikely Shanahan would go with a rookie starter (unless we gave up the bank for someone like Luck). We may be in for a lot more pain at QB before it gets better.

Thats the thing Boone, we already gave up the picks for Mcnabb, is he pretty much the best option now? money isnt the issue here, filling holes is. Now do we try out sexy rexy or do we stay with Mcnabb and hope the light comes on?

btw the second year thing is exactly what I was thinking but couldnt think how to put it. Its like He just has an idea of where hes going with the ball and throws it there no matter what.

Bottom line, I think we got jobbed on McNabb. Then again, we've been getting taken by other team's front offices for years. I will be surprised if we don't jettison McNabb after year one. There's not just been enough capable play there to warrant continuing down that path. But that begs the obvious question, if not McNabb who? Even if we go for a young QB in the draft, unlikely Shanahan would go with a rookie starter (unless we gave up the bank for someone like Luck). We may be in for a lot more pain at QB before it gets better.

I would have rather kept the draft picks and either played Grossman or kept Campbell. I thought it at the time and I still think it. I doubt we would be much worse than our current 5-8 and if Rex had a hot streak we might be better. He sure knew the offense better and likely still does, even at this point.

I might be tempted to go with him next year...

I dunno Neo. Seems like that's a choice between a crappy, old QB and a younger, crappy QB. I just don't see Rex doing an awful lot better, knowing the offense or not. I will say this in defense of McNabb, he does move around in pocket well, and probably avoided several sacks this year that Rex would have either taken or forced an INT into.

Boone (maybe?) brought up a good point about McNabb mentoring a rookie we bring in. that's an idea I think I could live with.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Rex wouldn't be better. He'd be worse.

But right now I'd rather be 3-10 with another solid building block in place from that second round pick, and have the ability to add another one next year with that 3rd or 4th.

My problem with piling on McNabb at this point is that's what we always do. We blame the old player. It's as if players suddenly and magically turn to crap when they come here. Well they don't. McNabb is still the same guy who went to half a dozen pro-bowls with the Eagles. He's a good player. He's not the problem. And until this organization realizes that ... the problem won't go away.

When we acquired McNabb, I thought we got a leader. But, like Boone said, there is no pep in his step, no sense of urgency. I never believed that he had more physical attributes than Campbell, but I thought his leadership would go above and beyond everything else.

At this point, I think he is one and done. I think I said this in another thread, but here it is again; if we had a line that could pass block, I think we may have seen Sexy Rexy already. McNabb is not accurate at all and it has to drive Shanny and son mad.

Having a QB that can hit a quick slant would go far with the problems we are having on the o-line.

Qbs who make good mentors are the guys who have a good grasp on the mental side of things, i may be wrong but whats Mcnabb gonna teach anyone? what the overtime rulese are? how to throw the ball too hard on short passes to minimise ints?

:rofl:

Well played sir, well played.

I dunno Neo. Seems like that's a choice between a crappy, old QB and a younger, crappy QB. I just don't see Rex doing an awful lot better, knowing the offense or not. I will say this in defense of McNabb, he does move around in pocket well, and probably avoided several sacks this year that Rex would have either taken or forced an INT into.

Boone (maybe?) brought up a good point about McNabb mentoring a rookie we bring in. that's an idea I think I could live with.

Consider my whole thought, Goaldeje. It isn't just the choice between QB's but a choice between a QB we got for free and a QB we gave a high 2nd in one of the deepest drafts in a decade for.

Rex wouldn't be better. He'd be worse.

But right now I'd rather be 3-10 with another solid building block in place from that second round pick, and have the ability to add another one next year with that 3rd or 4th.

Exactly my thought, Henry. And while we are at it, Heyer wasn't all that last year but with as much as he has played in place of Brown this year, I would just as soon have kept that pick and let Heyer man the RT spot all year. We just gave up too much for guys we are not getting anything back out of. Now, maybe with another off season Brown will get back into near All Pro shape but right now, I am doubting it and still have the tough job of watching the Saints use our 3rd rounder this next year as they see fit.

Now, maybe with another off season Brown will get back into near All Pro shape but right now,

Too bad he is a free agent next year. I think that puts our team in quite a predicament. He wants to be a LT, not a RT, and wants to be paid like one. Not going to happen. So what does Allen offer?

Too bad he is a free agent next year. I think that puts our team in quite a predicament. He wants to be a LT, not a RT, and wants to be paid like one. Not going to happen. So what does Allen offer?

I don't think Allen has to offer anything if we want to keep him. He just has to wait until it becomes obvious that no one else is going to pay a guy who has not shown he has recovered from injury real LT money or even make him a starter for less than LT money.

This is assuming the Skins are interested in keeping him. But if they just let him walk, that makes draft day an even more bitter pill...

Neo, I understand yr perspective. I'm just not sure any of us would have been any happier with Rex under center this year.

Neo, I understand yr perspective. I'm just not sure any of us would have been any happier with Rex under center this year.

I don't think he saying we would be happier if Rex were starting this season. But we would have had a 2nd rounder. You posted a thread about picks we "could" have had, well with that 2nd round pick we could have Colt McCoy here. Not sure he would have been successful this year if he even hit the field but that kid has much more upside than McNabb.

No I get that, and McCoy looks like he could be the real deal, though I'm not sure we draft himm anyway given the opportunity.

I'm just saying that Rex is so erratic, even with the second rounder I think we would all be very frustrated this season.

You don't trade a 2 and a 4 for a mentor. Ever.

Oh, and one of the things that sent me over with edge with McNabb was this week...

We called a timeout. Came back out onto the field and McNabb attempted to call another timeout when the playclock was running down. Thankfully, we were out of timeouts because numb nuts would have cost us a penalty.

The same guy who didn't know NFL games could end in a tie almost called back to back timeouts and didn't realize we had none left.

I don't want him teaching a young QB anything. He's been a very good QB over his time. I don't believe he's a hall of famer and I don't believe he's going to help in DC.

I don't think he saying we would be happier if Rex were starting this season. But we would have had a 2nd rounder. You posted a thread about picks we "could" have had, well with that 2nd round pick we could have Colt McCoy here. Not sure he would have been successful this year if he even hit the field but that kid has much more upside than McNabb.

Or a guard, or a center, or a nose tackle, or an end... We could have had a ton of things with the second rounder... But instead we get a QB that doesn't know the rules of the game and has pretty much zero game awareness.

Hes had a pretty lackluster season coming off an injury. Do you think his stock is high enough for him to make a market for himself as a highly-paid LT in free agency?

Hes had a pretty lackluster season coming off an injury. Do you think his stock is high enough for him to make a market for himself as a highly-paid LT in free agency?

Nope, that is why I wrote 'not going to happen.' I am not even sure if we try to keep him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.