• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Where are you at as a skins fan?

Also, I have to laugh when people say 'well at least we aren't the Bills, Lions, Browns, Seahawks...etc....we are right there in that list of poor teams. Don't be in denial. I think a huge difference between us and them right now is that they are young and have, possibly, a bright future ahead. With us, it is hard to say what lies ahead. I just hope it is something good.

Yeah, a friend of mine lumped us in with Oakland, Buffalo, etc in conversation the other day. I really wanted to protest, but realized... I can't.

I would write a long post detailing my feelings on the subject but I lack the passion to do so. I feel absolutely no compulsion to emotionally invest in the team anymore. Over the past two decades it has been a decidedly one-sided investment that has returned only negative results.

I still follow them, but it's now more out of habit than interest. Like slowing down on the highway to look at an accident.

Think I have to agree with Henry on this. The collapse of 2008 and the start of 2009 did it for me. I still love going out to FedEx for the home games and absolutely will watch the road games on TV, but no longer can get all worked up during a game. Same with the teams who I used to hate with a passion. I would absolutely be elated uopn hearing of the Eagles losing yet again in the playoffs. Now? Vick is tearing it up......my reaction "Good for them!"

Om wrote an article before the season about expectations and, if I read/remember it correctly, seemed to suggest that he'd like a team that showed signs of improvement and finished the season relatively strong. While that is still possible, it doesn't seem like that is what is occurring so far. The games the team has won have been in ugly fashion and I expect to see more such games in the second half of the season. It just seems in a sense that this season has merely been about finding out what we have on the existing roster and we're going through a 16-week exercise playing other teams because its mandated by the league. I expect this offseason will result in the purge of many of the holdovers from Gibbs 2.0 and perhaps others, with hopefully some additions in the draft and what should be a fuller FA class.

I would write a long post detailing my feelings on the subject but I lack the passion to do so. I feel absolutely no compulsion to emotionally invest in the team anymore. Over the past two decades it has been a decidedly one-sided investment that has returned only negative results.

I still follow them, but it's now more out of habit than interest. Like slowing down on the highway to look at an accident.

Yup, when people stop caring, they stop complaining.

Think I have to agree with Henry on this. The collapse of 2008 and the start of 2009 did it for me. I still love going out to FedEx for the home games and absolutely will watch the road games on TV, but no longer can get all worked up during a game. Same with the teams who I used to hate with a passion. I would absolutely be elated uopn hearing of the Eagles losing yet again in the playoffs. Now? Vick is tearing it up......my reaction "Good for them!"

Om wrote an article before the season about expectations and, if I read/remember it correctly, seemed to suggest that he'd like a team that showed signs of improvement and finished the season relatively strong. While that is still possible, it doesn't seem like that is what is occurring so far. The games the team has won have been in ugly fashion and I expect to see more such games in the second half of the season. It just seems in a sense that this season has merely been about finding out what we have on the existing roster and we're going through a 16-week exercise playing other teams because its mandated by the league. I expect this offseason will result in the purge of many of the holdovers from Gibbs 2.0 and perhaps others, with hopefully some additions in the draft and what should be a fuller FA class.

Om was the only blogger whose Blog I read regularly and thats a big reason why, I hate when certain bloggers would write stuff that was regurgitated from pft or the networks. I dont always agree with him but he always thinks and posts stuff that makes you think, what really bugged me about this offseason was the fact that we were so schizo. if you are rebuilding you dont make win now moves. But I also think we should have grabbed a young up and comer to coach us who wouldnt be worried about his "legacy" and would be willing to take chances to build a winner.

The defence stuff really soured me TBH thats where I lost the confidence in my favourite team completely, and what irks me is I said this would happen last year when this 3-4 was brought up, AND IM NOT AN NFL COORD OR GM. those guys should know better.

and OM get out of my Head lol I actually said when we got shanny " are we gonna get alex gibbs too?" because foerster hasnt shown me anything let alone the ability to rebuild our line.

This is a good point, Om.
and OM get out of my Head lol I actually said when we got shanny " are we gonna get alex gibbs too?" because foerster hasnt shown me anything let alone the ability to rebuild our line.

You all should not call me Om, the original Om might get angry. :) I believe it was Lanky that started calling me TO. I rather be called Om, but I can see where that could get confusing.

Alex Gibbs is out of the league already. I believe he retired on the Seahawks during preseason. Maybe it was planned that way, I really do not know, but we won't be seeing him anymore.

I thought I read somewhere that him and Shannahan had a falling out, so I didn't expect him to come here.

I guess all the years of despair and disappointment have worn me down. I find my expectations are alot lower than they used to be. To be honest I'm happy when we don't get embarrased.
I've been a Skins fan for a long time (since 72) and can remember losses bothering me so much that I relived them in my dreams...LOL. There are many amongst us that have been a Skins fan longer than myself. Perhaps they might share a perspective as well.
As a longtime Skins fan let me tell you something outside of a brief run in the early 70's and the Gibbs years this is pretty much par for the course. Thats the facts so for the last 50 yrs or so the Skins have only been relevant (contending for a superbowl birth) 13-14 yrs or so.
So today's team is pretty much what fans have lived with for a long time. As to the present state I blame the athletes. They may be faster,stronger and bigger than the players from the 80's but they weren't better players. Todays athlete needs to be coddled and is down right spoiled. They make way too much money and don't seem to mind if the team loses as long as they make the highlight reels for a few spectacular plays. They don't block, tackle, or catch the ball as well...
I'd wager my home that the 80's Redskins or 49ers would walk the dog and drag the puppy all over todays NFL. You can blame the ownership, the coaches the draft stategies personell moves etc. and you would be correct.Thats part of being a Skins fan I suppose. Eventually they will hit a hot streak again and it will feel so good after it stops hurting. HTTR

It's really unfortunate that this owner and the coaches he brings in regardless of their experience simply WILL NOT start over and rebuild this team over a 2-3 year period.

So, instead of waiting 3 years for a winner, we have been waiting TEN YEARS for the club to admit they are mediocre and break the cycle :mad:

Pink Floyd said it best "comfortably numb" when we lose, my expectations are very low to begin with considering the putrid state of our defense. Since the Zorn era I havent been able to get myself amped for a game except for Dallas. I was not a fan of the Shanny hiring (I wanted Gruden) and the defensive switch might be the most asanine thing since ol Zorn's brilliant swinging gate. Am I pissed, absolutely, do I wish that we did things differently, absolutely but at the end of the day. HTTR and F*** Dallas....

I get bored at work, and nobody around here is a skin fan and its been a while since I could talk to people who were skins fans who werent irritating idiots who couldnt formulate a coherent thought. lol

Uhhh...

:paranoid:

We're the smart ones?

Ruh roh, raggy!
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

As evidenced by your spelling of the word "our"?

:)

Bet you did not miss me!
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I’m in the same boat with a lot of you guys. I try to look on the positive side of things, but man, it’s getting damn near impossible to do that at this point. I still watch every game but I don’t care nearly as much as I did.

When I’m away from work I’m usually wearing my Skins hat. I have several but I end up wearing one until it simply falls apart. Then I start breaking in a new one. When I see other people wearing Skins gear I have to fight the urge to walk up to them and start talking football. I’ve done it more times than I’m comfortable admitting and my wife hates it. The reactions are mixed, a polite smile here, a head nod there. Every once in a while I see the face light up and I know I’m dealing with someone who cares about the team as much as I do. That moment has become rare.

It’s certainly nothing like riding the metro or walking around anywhere in DC when Gibbs I was in full bloom. Everyone wanted to talk Skins’ football, from the grandmothers to the kids to the guy picking up the garbage. It knew no social, racial or financial differences. It was pure. If you were wearing Skins gear you were in the club. Even if you weren’t it was almost assumed that you were a Skins fan. That vibe is long gone now. You’re just as likely to see Pats or Steelers gear walking around DC as you would Skins gear these days. That used to make me mad but honestly, who can blame them, especially the kids.

We have a whole generation of fans whose best Skins’ memory is making the playoffs twice under Gibbs II. Let that sink in for a minute. Neither of those teams was all that good (even I can admit that). Neither of them could have stood up against some of Gibbs teams that didn’t even make the playoffs back in his first run. It seems that we have to wait for a fluke of some sort to have any success at all these days. The 99’ team was ok I guess but they only had one good year. You have to go back to 92’ to catch the tail end of real sustained success. Eighteen years!

As I read the list of sins committed by Dan it’s impossible to root for the guy and the organizational hatchet men he’s surrounded himself with. I find myself wanting the team to succeed in spite of him. Of course that’s ridiculous. I just don’t know what to do with myself any longer.

So I’ll still wear my hat when I go out and watch the games unless something else comes up (that last part used to never be an option). I’ll also go on explaining to my kids that things used to be different.

It’s certainly nothing like riding the metro or walking around anywhere in DC when Gibbs I was in full bloom. Everyone wanted to talk Skins’ football, from the grandmothers to the kids to the guy picking up the garbage. It knew no social, racial or financial differences. It was pure. If you were wearing Skins gear you were in the club. Even if you weren’t it was almost assumed that you were a Skins fan. That vibe is long gone now.
A big reason for this, is because back then, there was no place for people to cheer/piss/praise/moan/complain 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. So, when you ran into someone, you were anxious to talk about them.

And, BTW, if someone wanted to at the time, JKC's actions could be placed closely beside Snyder. But if you win, no one cares, or talks about it.

well said Ax. the interwebs have definitely made it much easier for people to talk in a negative fashion about the team without having to be face to face to take the backlash.

I didnt think JKC was too popular either when I was a kid. I remember my dad didnt like him but he knew that Cooke stayed out of the team's way and he liked him for that.

hey...tracking JKC's wife's escapades was worth it all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.