• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WPC: When it comes to the uniforms, you can keep the change

Pappas

http://web.warpathconfidential.com/?p=3102

When it comes to the uniforms, you can keep the change

By John Pappas
Warpath Confidential Editor

I kid my wife that if given the choice between a cereal box, and a cereal box with a cartoon on the package; she will buy the cartoon-adorned box every time. I tell her this is because she is a sucker for the packaging; as if some grotesquely distorted image of a tiger, or bunny, or vampire that feeds on chocolate will make the food inside taste better.

Nonsense.

And while she is not really so shallow, I use the metaphor to rail against the superficiality of our society, and the things that drive a lot of people. People who believe the glitz and glamour on the outside will raise the quality of the product inside.

People like fans of the Dallas Cowboys.

That’s not how we roll in Washington. We never fell for the loud-colored clothing and jerry curls of other cities. While other metropolitan centers feature towering skyscrapers and endless blocks intended to impress; none of our buildings are taller than the capitol dome. And in terms of scale we are like the biggest small town you’ve ever seen.

Outside of the crazy people on Capitol Hill, Washington tends to be a town of substance over style. It always has been. The same is true of our sports teams. We don’t do T.O. here. There is no Ocho at the inn. Rather, we embrace the hardworking guys. Guys like Bobby Mitchell, Sonny Jurgensen, John Riggins, Santana Moss, and London Fletcher.

Click the link above to read the entire article...

Agree on the uniform desings Matt showed (which I know you know were not done by the team, but by fans). Meh.

Intrigued by this assertion though ...

As far as I am concerned, the designs posted on Terl’s site for fans to view and comment on are intended as a taste-test, a focus group if you will. This is what the team does; be it rumors of a new coach, rumblings of a player’s fate, or sample designs of new uniforms posted on a web site. And if the reviews are positive; we’ll be seeing them at FedEx Field soon.
Pretty bold. May I ask what this is based on?

Decided to dig in a little ... for starters, here's the design source:

http://www.gameplancreative.com/cs_redskins_1.html

The key part, to me, being this:

In collaboration with the Washington Redskins, Gameplan Creative researched and proposed an extensive rebranding initiative for the NFL franchise. Based on input from the team and Redskins fans and outfitters, we developed an enhanced identity which included a new home and road uniform, an alternate 3rd uniform, updated and new secondary marks and a comprehensive brand adherence program. The goal was to stay true to the iconic brand while evolving the marks to a more modern and merchandise-friendly look and to create a standardized style guide for a consistant Redskins brand experience...
Interested in finding out exactly what the bolded part means in practical terms.

Agree on the uniform desings Matt showed (which I know you know were not done by the team, but by fans). Meh.

Intrigued by this assertion though ...

Pretty bold. May I ask what this is based on?

Complete supposition on the writer's part, which was qualified by the "As far as I'm concerned" statement. It's that whole commentary thing...

I'll post what I posted in response to this article on ES:

Pappas said:
Here’s a suggestion for the owner; instead of trying to jazz up the look of the team by changing the uniforms, why don’t you focus on playing the way the team once did while wearing these same uniforms.

Everyone has been railing on Snyder to stay out of the football side of things and stick with the business side he knows best. Apparently with the hiring of Shanahan and Allen he's now doing that. So now that he's messing with the marketing side people complain about that too and say focus on the way the team plays. Which is it? It's unrealistic to expect him to stay away from the team altogether.

By the way, this is not to say that I disagree with you about changing the uniforms. I am against changing them and think the new ones suck.

Complete supposition on the writer's part, which was qualified by the "As far as I'm concerned" statement. It's that whole commentary thing...
Yes, I'm familiar with the concept. :)

Was just wondering if your plugged-inedness out there in Ashburn had led to any salaciously juicy tidbits I might not be aware of ... always looking for new and intriguing material these days you know. ;)

Yes, I'm familiar with the concept. :)

Was just wondering if your plugged-inedness out there in Ashburn had led to any salaciously juicy tidbits I might not be aware of ... always looking for new and intriguing material these days you know. ;)

Yes, you of all people...

:)

I have been told that the uniform designs in question were definitely rejected, and that any changes this year are highly unlikely, but that has as much to do with the approval process from the league as anything.

Can I ask an honest question here?

What's the fascination(I find mostly among younger fans) with the Redskins having a black jersey?

I just don't understand it.

Maybe I'm just becoming a crotchety old man? who knows?

Those are horrible. If we're going to start wearing stupid XFL uniforms we might as well change the name too.

What's the fascination(I find mostly among younger fans) with the Redskins having a black jersey?

I guess that makes me a crotchety old man too. Hell NO to black in any way, shape or form. Bring back the gold pants if you're gonna do anything. It's hard to call our unis the B&G anymore without 'em.

I'll take a stab at this. Black, somehow, has become THE color of choice for so many sports teams, be they high school, college or pro - it's as if some of the past losers from Project Runway had convened a secretive, fabric-driven Bilderberg Group to rework the primary uniform schemes of teams worldwide. I don't claim to understand it, but I have certainly noticed it.

And I agree with all the rest of the sane people in this thread: the new designs are hideous. Changes will come, of that I have no doubt; many of us remember our horror when the current unis were rolled out, with their asymmetrical 2-color pant stripes and complete reversal of the colors with relation to jerseys and pants. Did any of us react with anything other than astonished, incredulous disgust back then? In time the new look grew on us as will the newer look whenever it is selected and unveiled.

I won't like it, I know I won't. Not at first. Eventually I'll come around though. I only hope, like Pap and the rest of you, that any changes made are tasteful and make some sense. Let the monochromatic, annually changing colors and uniforms be worn by lesser lights like the Ravens, and collegiately by "da U." When donned by such fools it almost seems appropriate...but it would not do for the Redskins, not at all.

Hopefully the danny will just stick to drawing up an 80th an anniversary jersey

If a uniform change really is in the works and not just message board speculation, then I hope they leave black out of it. I have always found the colors of our uniforms unique. Black would ruin it. Maybe Zorn was on to something.

Last edited:
I gotta admit I think the all maroon...er...uh...I mean all Burgundy uniforms looked pretty cool. I liked the uniforms with the Gold helmet and the Gold pants with White jerseys when we lost to the Giants a few years back, although it was eerily close to Packers' colors.

If I had my druthers, it would be all Burgundy away and all White at home. I would also like to see what the helmet would look like without the stripes down the middle. Just have the Redskins' logo on either side of the helmet.

Being old enough to remember the Gold pants with Burgundy jerseys, I gotta tell you I think those were the ugliest uniforms we have ever had! :puke:

I will say this though, I did not like the fact that we were wearing Burgundy at home this past season. I wonder if that was Zorn making a statement of rebellion against Snyder? But White is our home color. I hated it when Spurrier did it and I did not like it when Zorn did it.

Last edited:
The black unis that the Ravens and Jaguars have moved to are hideous. The players look like speed skaters on an NFL field.

Part of the attraction of NFL uniforms is the color VARIATION, ie different colored jerseys and pants.

In terms of merchandising the Redskins current colors are fine.

The only thing that has been missing is a WINNING administration to make the jerseys and hats that much easier to sell :)

Decided to dig in a little ... for starters, here's the design source:

http://www.gameplancreative.com/cs_redskins_1.html

I got to admit I'm not a fan of black jerseys and I like the unis we have now. At the same time the unis on this site are nice. If we did go with this look I would be for it. Sometimes a change in unis can help turn the attitude of a franchise around.

I do think the jerseys on this site look alot like the old Rhein Fire jerseys of NFL Europe.

burgsfirehoch.jpg

photo_RF.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.