• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WPC: Blood in the water

I don't disagree with anything being said (although Jimbo, that would be good rationale to hire an OC, not a head coach) - but none of that changes the patently ridiculous stance of handing over the key's to the franchise to a total newb, then standing aghast, ready to pull the plug when *gasp*, he looks like a newb out there.

I think Zorn's a smart guy, and truth be told, I like him. I think he can be a good (maybe better than good) coach if given time to learn. What I cannot make sense of is, why you hire the guy (hell, not just hire, but recruit and elevate beyond rationale judgement) knowing he'll be a project, then expect him not to be a project?

It's insanity.

I'd like to think all the 'Zorn's job is on the line' stuff is media hyperventilating, but my gut and the temperature in DC currently tells me otherwise.

Boone, I don't think Snyder ever viewed Zorn as a "project"-Snyder made his fortune in marketing and aggressive acquisition of profitable assets-that's his management style-you acquire an asset, keep it if it pays off, dump it if it doesn't-probably the reason for the revolving door at HC. I think he "acquired" Zorn as a quick-return investment. His skill in marketing is why the Skins revenue skyrocketed in spite of lackluster team performance. Bottom line results are the primary criteria-money-wise as well as the team performance. I agree totally in the view of Zorn as "wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time" as a major part of Zorn's problem. I'm actually starting to wonder if his ultra-conservative take-no-chances use of Campbell might be reflecting a fear based on Snyder's history of impatience with coaches not producing immediate results.

Could he be feeling the executioner's axe on the base of his neck and thinking "what if taking a chance blows up-am I instant history?"

Skins need to put up some serious points against the Lions, and with the regular offense, not a bunch of gadget plays and fake-field goals. And even if they do, it may be too little, too late for Zorn.

With all due respect Lanky, it is never too little too late at 1-1 going into only the 3rd game of the season. With the results of 14 games yet to be determined a lot can happen. While I worry for the man now, Zorn has still has every chance to pull his ass out of the fire. There is nothing wrong here that enough W's can't fix.

I don't disagree with anything being said (although Jimbo, that would be good rationale to hire an OC, not a head coach) - but none of that changes the patently ridiculous stance of handing over the key's to the franchise to a total newb, then standing aghast, ready to pull the plug when *gasp*, he looks like a newb out there.

Normally I would agree (actually I do agree but am playing devil's advocate a bit) but you have to remember that Snyder has to be looking an hour up the road to Baltimore and what another total newb, John Harbaugh, is doing with the Ravens. Granted, Harbaugh is smart enough to have both offensive and defensive coordinators who really do the job of coordinator but he is still as much a newb as Zorn when it comes to it. Unfortunately, he is also knocking it out of the park. Granted, he has a real GM in Newsome but Snyder won't see that, recognize it or count it.

Last edited:
What's a fair chance? 3 years - minimum. If Zorn doesn't get at least that - that's just confirmation this team is led by a bunch of bozos.

I'd say 3-5 years is the norm and that was why I was happy in past years when Spurrier and Gibbs were signed to 5 year deals.

And people will say "yeah but Harbaugh is doing so well for the Ravens"
Sure he is. Why? Well he's got Cam Cameron, a guy who was a HC for a year and has been a OC forever. He also had Rex Ryan and he still has Ray Lewis and Lewis pretty much runs the D over there. Blache is fine as our DC but look at the inexperience on our offensive side......

When Zorn came in he decided he was still going to playcall (never done before nor was he ever a OC) and was going to bring in Sherm Smith as his OC (Was he an OC before?) so can anybody be that surprised that Zorn is struggling with playcalling?

I have to think that the FO just doesn't get it......look at the O line.
And in two years we have another re-build...... I really, really hate what the Redskins have become.

I'd be very surprised if a short list wasn't put together Sunday night.

I'm willing the bet the search is either on or a replacement is ready. Question being is there a search for new GM?

Um, no.

Holmgren worked with the guy forever, and pretty much said he wasn't HC material.

It's pretty obvious, now.
I'd be interested in seeing what it is you read from Holmgren that you're basing that statement on.

As to it being "pretty obvious" Zorn isn't head coaching material, with all due respect, I think it's way, way too early to make that kind of call. We're two games into his second season. He's 9-9. We could come up with a long list of head coaches who have gone on to stellar careers who started off a lot worse than that.

Last edited:
I remember the first season of Gibbs. It was torturous. The line was so bad Bostic kept stepping on Joey T's foot, resulting in a sack. Then it got better. I think we finally beat the Bears, who were pathetic back then.

Time will tell. Unfortunately for Zorn, time is not an infinite commodity with the danny

I remember the first season of Gibbs. It was torturous. The line was so bad Bostic kept stepping on Joey T's foot, resulting in a sack. Then it got better. I think we finally beat the Bears, who were pathetic back then.

Time will tell. Unfortunately for Zorn, time is not an infinite commodity with the danny

It's not just The Danny. I think the media and fan scrutiny is worse now than it was then. I've seen no patience from the media or the fans. I think that The Danny is weak and reactionary and if there is an overwhelming outcry from the media and the fans, he will bow to their wishes rather than doing what he thinks is best. Hopefully, he can at least hold out until the end of this season. Changing coaches in mid-season is stupid unless there are unusual extenuating circumstances like in Atlanta recently.

Um, no.

Holmgren worked with the guy forever, and pretty much said he wasn't HC material.

It's pretty obvious, now.

Can you tell me when Mike Holmgren made this statement? I have only ever heard him say good things about Zorn. I must say I have never heard him say he was a qualified coach, but I never heard him say anything to the contrary either.

The most frustrating thing for me with Zorn is the fact that he only gave Jason 2 maybe 3 chances to throw in the redzone after he had moved us down there no problem.

It appears that the Redskins are the only team in the NFL that thinks passing in the redzone is silly. I havent seen the Redskins run a fade route in the regular season since I dont know when.

The other issue is this... Why when we are inside their 10 yard line do we have Santana as the only receiver and not Kelly? Kelly is a threat for a fade route and for in the redzone due to the big body, Moss is not. Thats kind of why we drafted those guys isnt it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.