• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WP: Polumbus Focusing on RT

Terry

The UDFA
Reaction score
Polumbus able to devote himself to right tackle for the first time
By John Keim, Published: July 2, 2013 at 10:00 am

"They noticed the protection issues during the season. They also knew what he was doing wrong. Tyler Polumbus’s shoulders weren’t square; his hands weren’t being used properly. The coaches and Polumbus just couldn’t spend the necessary time to correct those problems, not with game plans to execute."

For the rest of this Washington Post article, please click here

I'm expecting big things from Polumbus this year.

ps: note the author

Ugh...the good news is that Polumbus' play can only get better - the bad news is it was pretty damn awful last season.

Dumb question here but how much 'necessary' time do u need in a week to correct his problems? I mean didnt he spend all season at the position. dude is just NOT cut out for RT.

Good to see Keim's work, but...

color me unimpressed with Polumbus. I am definitely in the wait and see camp with this guy. It would be nice if we could explain away his performance issues last year, but from what I saw, the guy just doesn't have it. Hope I'm wrong, I really do.

He also states "rt was an area of need after the season". It's been an area of need for a lot longer than that. Like since Jansen left.

Ill be rooting for the guy but damn did he suck last yr.

I thought his play drastically improved over the course of the season, to the point where I don't think he was the weak spot in pass protection at all. I'd say it was right up the middle and in the final 4 or 5 games Griffin had more heat coming in his face than from the edges. Go re-watch the second Philly and Dallas games and tell me where the pass pro issues were.

As for his run blocking, he was pancaking guys in the second half of the season, and he's our best blocker at the second level. He's the ideal Shanahan ZBS blocker.

IMO, the fans got stuck on an earlier narrative regarding Polumbus and haven't caught up to where his actual play is.

I thought his play drastically improved over the course of the season, to the point where I don't think he was the weak spot in pass protection at all. I'd say it was right up the middle and in the final 4 or 5 games Griffin had more heat coming in his face than from the edges. Go re-watch the second Philly and Dallas games and tell me where the pass pro issues were.

As for his run blocking, he was pancaking guys in the second half of the season, and he's our best blocker at the second level. He's the ideal Shanahan ZBS blocker.

IMO, the fans got stuck on an earlier narrative regarding Polumbus and haven't caught up to where his actual play is.

Interesting take...

Just to be clear, there is no way that I think Polumbus is all world or anything, and I am open to upgrading any position.

But I feel that the narrative that claims that Polumbus is the weak link or significantly inferior to any OL not named Williams is incorrect, or perhaps... dated.

Just to be clear, there is no way that I think Polumbus is all world or anything, and I am open to upgrading any position.

But I feel that the narrative that claims that Polumbus is the weak link or significantly inferior to any OL not named Williams is incorrect, or perhaps... dated.

I went back and watched some Alfred Morris highlights (all I have available) and he was indeed pretty dominant towards the second half of the season in the run game. I don't know if that was ever in question though; its always been his pass-blocking that was suspect. I'll have to re-watch some games down the stretch if I get the chance; we could certainly do worse than Tyler in the run game though. I certainly hope you're also right about the pass-pro!

I'm hoping Compton steps up and makes this all a moot point, owning & winning the RT position in camp. :)

Dumb question here but how much 'necessary' time do u need in a week to correct his problems? I mean didnt he spend all season at the position. dude is just NOT cut out for RT.

That's a good question. Those sound like technique issues and he's probably been doing those things his whole life. It's one thing to be told in a meeting, it's another to actually execute it well every play.

We need these guys to step up. We can't build our entire line off 1st and 2nd round draft picks. These late round guys need to improve.

Also remember that our ZBS is a pass blocking scheme as well as a run scheme, and the blocking demands placed on the OL aren't the same as the old Gibbsian castle wall approach. That's not to say that there aren't 3rd and a pass plays where we will have to man up, but the need to play within the ZBS roles for the OL can't be overlooked or lightly dismissed.

Re-Rewatch the 2nd eagles game. Polumbus had a really good tan AND changed numbers. But you're right... he looked pretty good!

I know I was stuck in a narrative regarding Turns-Tyler Polumbus because I saw him being horrible in pass pro all year. His run blocking picked up mid-late season and that was enough to make him look a little better, but pass pro? Whiff, Olay! Where'd-he-go Goose?- Where'd WHO go?

Our coaching staff worked a lot of their overtime trying to cover up that cold sore on the right side. The guy got beat early and often which in my eyes, doesn't make him the ideal anything. If he can get much better in pass pro then I'll ease my stance on him, but there's a glaring weakness at his position until he get better or someone better steps in.

Good to see you, Master Terry. Got wind of the new carpet and paint? :)

The only times Polumbus ever scared me last year was in those handful of downs where Robert simply HAD to go 5- or 7-steps deep, set up, and have to go to his second read. Tyler was generally above average going forward on the run, adequate getting to the second level from time to time, and even average on the quick-release pass. He's just never had the quick feet, balance and hand placement to be a classic pass protector. He's too tall and stiff.

IF the off-season of work helps him improve in that last area, we'll be okay at that position until a first-level RT stumbles at long last back through our doors.

Hey Om! Yeah, I love the smell of turpentine in the morning.

All I want to say regarding Polumbus is that you can say exactly the same thing about all the other OL (except Trent) that you are saying about him. But it's also worth noting that OL have to be judged as a unit and in that regard, these guys work together very well.

I think that the athleticism behind center obviously masked, massaged or band aided some of our offensive line deficiencies, I do feel they played much better than I expected as a unit. Of course, when you have a secondary as bad as ours, you tend to overlook alot of short comings in other areas.

Hopefully this is all a non-issue, and between all the scrubs we brought in to compete, hopefully one of them breaks away from the pack, and proves to be more talented than TP.

Remember......TP is for your bunghole.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.