• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Would Green catch Griffin?

He couldn't be worse than Banks. At least RG3 knows how to run forward.

I just realized this is a trick question.
Green would not have caught Griffin, because he would have been standing on the Redskins sidelines, since he would have been on the same team as Griffin :)
Would have been really boneheaded move, to come out from the sidelines, and not only become a 12th player on the field, but also draw an additional penalty (probably unsportsmanlike conduct) of entering the field of play from the sidelines - during a play, and to top it all off, becoming a traitor by tackling your own teammate :)

I don't thing Green would have been able to chase him down if he started out anymore than a couple of yards behind him. RG3 was not going full speed, you could see that when he looked back a few times.

I love the fact that our QB is even mentioned as having DG speed!!

I don't thing Green would have been able to chase him down if he started out anymore than a couple of yards behind him. RG3 was not going full speed, you could see that when he looked back a few times.

I love the fact that our QB is even mentioned as having DG speed!!

This is the first time I've ever been able to read an entire post of yours, without having the distraction of a Bacon Bikini over-riding it :)

In my world, there's no doubt Darrell catches Robert. However, seein as how Robert has long arms and Darrell has short arms, Robert still gets the TD with the obligatory stiff arm.

I'm kind of blown away by this.. I'm having as big a man-crush on Griffin as anyone out there... but he doesn't beat Green. Griffin has world class speed, but dont forget that Green ran track in college. Green's recorded 40 yard dash times are faster... and Green ran down the leagues ELITE speed, including beating Carl Lewis in a flat out race..

That being said, this is not a slight against Griffin... but players rookie seasons.. Green wins

My question is who's the fastest DB or safety on any of the teams the Redskins play and are they fast enough to catch Robert.

I have my doubts any of them are. :)

He lost to Carl Lewis by a hair cut, because of a terrible start. Basically spotted Lewis 5 yds.
He beat the kid from Green Bay, Phillip Epps. (Look him up, if you don't know)
He beat Willie Gault.
He beat Ron Brown.
He beat James Jett.
He caught Dorset from behind.
He caught Eric Dickerson from behind.
He'da beat Peion.
And he'da caught Griffin.

And that's with Robert running at FULL speed. Which we still haven't seen, yet.

Green was a fast as he wanted to be. As silly as that sounds on the surface that’s the best way I can describe it. There is an extremely small group of folks with true “world class” speed although you hear that term used more than it should be. When I think about the term I think about an indoor track under perfect conditions, and then there’s Darrell Green.

I’ve never seen faster on a football field. We’re talking in pads, on grass in whatever weather you choose. I’ll admit that the mind’s eye can be selective about what it chooses to remember but I can’t remember anyone running away from Darrell Green. Ever. He wasn’t Superman but he was close enough for pro football and I’m always thankful when I look back that he never played anywhere else but DC. He’ll always be ours.

Green would have run Griffin down and knocked him out of bounds somewhere around the 10-15 yard line. Griff would have tried the stiff arm but Green’s momentum would have carried them both out of bounds. Fastest man in the NFL? Pssssht, try fastest man alive. That’s how I remember it anyway.

Green made real fast guys look pretty slow; Eric Dickerson, Tony Dorsett, etc.

Doing some quick research, Google claims Jamarca Sanford ran a 4.44-4.53 40-yard dash at the combine, and was pretty much step-for-step with Griff. Who knows if Griffin had another gear or not though; he may have been taking it easy!

But, if that is his top gear, I think Green may have chased him down. Its cool to know that the Redskins have had two of the fastest men to ever play the game.

EDIT: watching the play again, Griff was running just as fast as he needed to; I think he could have kicked it into another gear, possibly two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Griffin seemed to hit his peak speed in that TD run between the 40 yard lines and then slow up slightly on the way in.

Green, on the other hand was spooky fast. Nobody else ran down Dorsett or Dickerson from behind.

That was phenomenal.

There are so many types of foot speed 40,60, 100 and 220. I believe the media throws around the term "world class speed" way too often. Then of course there are the myth's and legendary stories that have been embellished as well over the years. Stop watch times are a tad unreliable.
RG3 is faster than he needs to be and focusing on his speed isn't really appreciating the whole package. . I'm even more impressed with his quick decision making and accurate arm. The speed is just a part of the package.
Truth be told I'm guessing that RG3 isn't even the fastest person on the team. He might be... he's way more than impressive while on the run.

We will never really know.

We all fall victim to thinking things were better in the "olden" days, but I must admit Green was amazingly fast. Never will forget how he could chase Dorsett down. However, Griffin wasn't even going as fast as he could at the end there. He was looking back to see how fast he really had to go to get successfully into the end zone. There are several gears for Griffin. I do believe that when he first approached the sideline he did have it in his highest gear. He may not be as fast as Green was in his prime, but it would have been a great race to watch.:yes:

My question is who's the fastest DB or safety on any of the teams the Redskins play and are they fast enough to catch Robert.

I have my doubts any of them are. :)

I've answered this many times already. Griffen is simply the best athlete on the field whoever we play. Fastest by far of any defenders, only a handful of offensive players may match his speed. But let me tell you this about the game of football. Its not about speed, its about quickness. Quickness is far more important in football than speed. Nobody gets up to top end speed in the nfl due to the fact that you must go about 10 yards before you can get there. The first 10 yards are the result of quickness, that one step advantage allows you to break it open. And nobody does it better than Griffen.

(only Barry Sanders could get up to top end speed the fastest, and he was also the quickest, hence he relied on totally change of direction then burst.)

40 times are often overrated because guys who dont run spectacular 40s somehow dont get caught very often by guys who do? they cant measure heart.

DG was far and away the fastest player I have ever seen and he would have caught Griffin, thats no slight because if he stays healthy, and we get him an oline and some receivers who spend more time on the field than in the sick bay, he will end up as the greatest Redskins QB of all time. BUt Darryl would have caught him.

Not Griffen it's GRIFFIN...

Not Darryl its DARRELL....

come on people... this is basic stuff.

rant over....

Last edited:
Not Darryl its DARRELL....

come on people... this is basic stuff.

rant over....

How do you know he wasn't talking about Darryl Grant being able to catch Griffen ?

0131_large.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.