• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Worst Defenses In History: Where do we rank?

KDawg

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Alma Mater
College at Brockport
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/7_1204_Worst_run_defenses_in_NFL_history.html

This article was published in 2007.

Looking at the Redskins rushing statistics thus far this season:

332 attempts, 1364 yards, 5.0 per attempt.

That puts us JUST off the pace for one of the worst 18 rush defenses in NFL history.

As far as pass defenses go, these are statistically the worst in history according to this: http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/12722/the-worst-pass-defense-in-nfl-history

1995 Atlanta Falcons 4,541
2005 San Francisco 49ers 4,427
1986 New York Jets 4,389

We're currently at 3,124 yards passing allowed. Four games left. I think we're safe to not crack the top three, here, at least. :)

According to this site http://www.rauzulusstreet.com/football/nflrecords/teamnetyardsallowed.htm

These are the most yards allowed in a season.

6,793 Baltimore 1981
6,403 Green Bay 1983
6,391 Seattle 2000
6,352 Minnesota 1984

Right now, we've allowed 4768 yards. If we allow 300 yards a game the rest of the way, that's putting us at 5968 and just off the pace.

As far as most points allowed goes, the 1981 Baltimore Colts allowed 533 points. It looks like we're safe there, only allowed 293 points this year so far. That may save us from being one of the worst defenses of all time. :)

I just thought this was interesting. Don't really have a point here other than our defense sucks :cry:

What about turnovers? That may be this defense's only saving grace right now.

We're 7th in the 2010 NFL season in turnovers. So I'd imagine we're not very high on the list. Probably top half in NFL history I'd assume.

Via SalaryCap101 on twitter:

3-4 DL Starters, Sacks: Packers 10.5, Bills 9, Ravens 7.5, 49ers 6, Cardinals 6 | Down on list, Redskins 0.5

Via SalaryCap101 on twitter:

3-4 DL Starters, Sacks: Packers 10.5, Bills 9, Ravens 7.5, 49ers 6, Cardinals 6 | Down on list, Redskins 0.5

Haynesworth has 2.5 sacks on the year. How can we only have .5?

I think that regardless of where we rank statistically with the worst defenses in history, one thing we can agree on is that when this team desperately needs a defensive stop with the game on the line, they rarely get it. This is something that has plagued us for years.

The Houston, Minnesota and Detroit games from this year are the three that come to mind. Heck, throw the week 1 game against Dallas as an example too. Fortunately, Dallas' own mistakes in this particular situation prevented them from capitalizing on our defense who just doesn't seem to know how to clamp down in the most dire of situations.

I don't know if this is a skill that has to be taught, coaching, if it's mental toughness, or if it's playmaking ability that determines how well a defense responds with the game on the line? Might it be a combination of all factors that we are lacking in?

Regardless, our team's ineptitude when the game is on the line is part of the reason why the Redskins are consistent bottom feeders in the NFL.

It's talent issues. We don't have any huge playmaker types in the front 7. London Fletcher is as solid as you can get, but he's not a playmaker. We haven't really bad a game breaker in those positions, now that I think about it.

Sean Taylor was the last guy who could blow a game open, RIP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.