World Cup 2022

That is 2 points dropped right there. Ugh.

I think we needed to beat Wales to get out of the group. We'll see what happens.

Does this team have a realistic chance vs England?

Outside of a sporting chance?

I think the whole 'tie' thing which is so common in soccer is why it will never be a top 3 US sport. Americans HATE ties. I'm one of them. And these refs are so blatantly anti-US (that Pulisic injury where they refused to stop play being just one example)... we're not going to get a lot of help.

No. Short of a US vs. Russia hockey effort I don't see it happening. I could see both the US and Wales beating Iran and both losing to England. So what happens then - total goal count as the tie-breaker? I am not savvy with what it takes to advance beyond total wins.

And unfortunately, Wales comes out of this buoyed because they came back and tied it. We leave the pitch beleagured because we gave up a win that was in hand.

Absolutely. I watch a lot of England matches and they have been horrible of late (this morning notwithstanding).

There is actually a tremendous amount of talent on this US squad. It should be capable of holding its own against most of the teams in this tournament.

No. Short of a US vs. Russia hockey effort I don't see it happening. I could see both the US and Wales beating Iran and both losing to England. So what happens then - total goal count as the tie-breaker? I am not savvy with what it takes to advance beyond total wins.
First tie-breaker is goal difference.

Not impressed with those comments from Berhalter.

So I know England lost like 6 straight coming into the World Cup but they had a lot of injuries are still one of top 5 teams in terms of odds of winning it. They certainly spanked Iran. We'll see. I don't like the tone of the US coach's and players comments I've heard post-tie. I think it would be a good idea to score a ton of goals against Iran :)

My disclaimer - today was the first time I've seen the US Men's Team play in 6 months. So I'm hardly anyone to listen to :)

Next match is 2pm on Friday against England. Don't shoot until you see the white's of their eyes.

England will definitely be favored against the US, Boone. No question. Losing this one has made things much harder for the US because I do think England will win the group.

Having said that, England's defense is suspect and can be beaten.

I'm thinking we fire up BGO Chat for the England match on Friday.

And we can discuss on Wednesday if you want :)

I am personally finding it hard to generate interest in this year's version of the World Cup. My soccer crazed dad was born in Italy, and naturally, I was raised to cheer extremely hard for the Italian National Team since I was ten when Italy hosted the World Cup. Even with Canada participating for the first time since '86, I have a hard time getting excited about it all, because "my team" isn't there. I know this is a huge moment in Canada's soccer history, but given Canada's irrelevance on the international soccer stage my entire life, I never formed any sort of bond or attachment to the team. Not sure if that sounds strange, but it is how I feel.

Kind of crazy this is the 2nd straight World Cup Italy has not qualified for… I think they are something like 7th ranked in the world … Wish they were in it so you could get excited about it CH.

Things could be worse - we could be a tournament favorite lead by the best player in the world and lose to Saudia Arabia in our opener.

#whywewatch

Probably pretty close to the truth...

Australia's opening goal in the first ten minutes against France woke up what appeared to be a sleeping giant.

France was very entertaining to watch today, despite some major injuries that many said might hurt their chances coming into Qatar.

Might we see a repeat champion?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.