• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Winning cures all ills

Henry

I drink and I know things
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Ok, now that Griffin's injury situation has been talked to death and the Seahawks are out of the playoffs :) I thought I'd lighten things up a bit around here.

I know we are all holding our collective breaths about our star player, but regardless of what happens with him this season has been a wild success. I will now tell you why.

We had Thanksgiving at my parents' house this year. Because the Redskins were playing, my mother had accepted the fact that we would all be sitting around the TV watching the game during dinner. Of course, this only meant us Elders ... family members who were at least my age (and my obsessed 26 year-old cousin ... God bless him) because none of the kids cared at all about the Redskins or football. Actually at the start of the game it was just me and my dad. We settled in and expected the usual ho hum Redskin loss ... and then Robinson caught that first TD pass. Without even thinking I let out the loudest primal yell of probably the past decade. My seven year old son ran down into the room to find out what was going on, saw the touchdown and sat down. Then my ten year-old daughter shuffled in with a few other relatives. Then we scored another TD. Then another one. Then it was halftime and we were up 28-3. The entire house was going nuts, and my kids were soaking it up.

The next day my son asked if he could watch the game again. As it happened I DVRed it so I turned the game on. Every day that week he watched the game, cheering madly at all the TDs.

Then the day of the Giants game arrived. I told him he could watch the game, but we might not win it. Then we did win it. Then we beat the Ravens. And we just kept on winning. My kids would ask to watch the games over and over again. My daughter would ask about the rules. My son asked for Griffin jersey for Hannuka. Then my mom bought him Football Guys. In case you are wondering they are like Army Men, but they are football players. Now that the season is over he re-enacts the games with these guys. I've been teaching him the various formations and what they are used for. Here's a picture of him explaining that the Redskins are in a goal-line offense and who is going to get the ball.

Anyway, for a decade I've tried to get my kids interested in the Redskins. I've bribed them, cajoled them, bought them Redskin stuff ... nothing. I've watched the games alone for years. This year, the Redskins won more than just the last seven games. They won my kids over for me.

It's amazing what winning, even just a little bit, can do.

Hail.

Attachments

• CoachSammy.jpg
    CoachSammy.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Pretty sweet, brother!

i bet they can sing Hail To The Redskins too.

awesome

Way cool brother Henry

Wow, awesome story Henry. I read it to my wife, and we both got a little misty eyed.

That Thanksgiving Day game started with my smartass Father in Law telling me the Skins would lose by 30 (he's delightful), and ended with me sitting next to my, who I haven't seen that happy in years, and my kids all lying on the floor. Even my Dad in law was amazed.

Great season. GREAT season.

Henry,

Thank you for the breath of fresh air and for helping be the calm among the storm.

Being a relatively new father of a little son, it's inspiring hearing about the bond that can be forged among family members when this team is successful.

My hope is that the likes of Robert and Alfred can be the generation of players that make Redskins football a thrilling experience for my little guy, but at the same time, be a bridge that help the bond between us grow and become even stronger.

When I stop and think, chance are that had the likes of exciting players like Sanders, Monk and Clark not been around when I was growing up, there would have been little else to help me latch onto this franchise.

Let's face it - youngsters like cheering for winners.

As excited as I am for the future of this franchise, I'm equally excited at the prospect of a new generation of fans like your son and my own associating it with winning and not the despair that we've had to endure for the bulk of the last 21 years.

That is too cool Henry. One of my childhood memories was watching my mom and dad screaming at the TV with excitement as the Skins came from behind to win a game. After doing some research I pinpointed the game to late in the 1973 season when Sonny came in for Billy to beat the Giants. But then the next week I remember looking at the TV as we lost to Dallas 27-7 and feeling sad. And I can't remember much from the 1974 season, but do recall watching the two Cowboys games, including the infamous Clint Longley Thanksgiving tilt.

Liked the picture of your son with his holiday present. At first glance it reminded me of the electric football game that some of us old timers would remember!!

My son finally starting take a interest. He's 9. He's asked me to teach him the rules. It shaping up so he can enjoy a similar experience I had at his age with a winning team.

Very true brother Henry.

My basement is when I watch sports. I have the big screen with surround sound down there and I can watch relatively uninterrupted. I despise the announcers on the games so what I started doing last year was pause the game with the DVR and sync it with the radio broadcast so I can listen to the homer call of the game. My wife thinks I’m a lunatic but the kids claim to understand. Not sure if that’s a good sign or not. It’s one of the reasons I don’t come to the chat most days even though I enjoy it. I’m always a minute or so behind the TV broadcast so the chat screws me up.

This season my boys started watching the game with me more than they ever had before. Before it would be for a half or so at most before they would get bored and wander away to do something else. What changed? Was it the RGIII hype, kids at school, pity for their old man? I’m not sure, but I know that I was more enthusiastic than I have been in years. Maybe it rubbed off. Not only were they watching the game with me they were learning the game. They asked a lot of questions and in-between plays I tried to give them answers. We watched all three of the America’s Game shows that focused on the Skins’ Super Bowl seasons (great stuff by the way). They started to “get it”. They both asked for RGIII jerseys for Christmas, and what could I do except get them?

My niece and nephew both ended up over at our house when several games came on this season. They all migrated to the basement to watch the game when it came on and ended up watching with me. After that first game they asked to come back several times this season. So now I have a group of kids ages 9-13 who watch games with me every so often. My niece (the 9 year old) who had always wanted to go against the grain, had been calling herself a Cowboy fan for years, although she can’t name anyone else on the team other than Romo. I think it was more of a way to mess with me than anything. She sat on my lap while we were watching that Thanksgiving game this season and told me she didn’t want to be a Cowboy fan anymore and wanted to be a Redskins fan. I told her that was fine; she could like any team she wanted. She paused for a minute and then asked if she could still like Tony Romo. I told her “Sure, as long as he’s not playing against the Skins.” She said “ok”. Score one for Uncle Hog.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.