• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Why Should We Pump The Brakes In 2021?

Canadian Hog

2019 BGO Ballers Champ
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I absolutely love the direction the WFT is heading in. Over the past two years, we have made many positive changes and brought in several quality players and coaches that have the potential to set this team up for sustained long-term success. I am realistically hopeful for the first time in a long while.

Over the past several weeks, we have likely all read several positive reviews of our roster, and the potential it possesses in 2021. In many ways, we as a fanbase are heading into uncharted territory, with the media showing our team levels of respect and appreciation we haven't experienced in many, many years.

I guess it could be argued that we should just bathe in the sunshine and enjoy it for once. Part of my brain desperately wants to. The other part of my brain reminds me that I am a Washington fan and that 2021 might be a bit too soon for us to expect a relatively young roster to take that next big step in its development.

So, while we are likely all cautiously optimistic about '21, share with us what you think are the top three reasons why we should pump the breaks on expectations in the upcoming season. These could be what you perceive to be roster deficiencies that you think might derail us, certain aspects related to our coaching, or issues pertaining to the organization as a whole. What are the potential pitfalls in your opinion that could do us in this season?

Have at it!

1. Turner getting pass happy. Even a stud defense can get worn down when there isn’t a strong commitment to the run. Turner has to use Gibson & Patterson on the ground to make the offense click, & let the defense stay fresh.

2. IMO Rivera needs to chill the hell out publicly alienating guys like Sweat with the whole vaccine thing. THAT can drive a wedge in the chemistry this team has and create unneeded friction.

3. Daniel F’n Snyder

I think this is a smart post - and I've heard similar sentiments from SilentThreat. Although I think Washington could surprise even we fans in 2021, if they struggle, it will be due to:

1) It's early. I've stated this several times but we forget, Ron Rivera just got here. He's done so much to right this ship in such a brief period, it feels like he's going into his 4th or 5th year as head coach. While clearly Rivera was the guy for the job at hand, he is not a miracle worker. Turning around years of failure doesn't happen overnight, not even for Riverboat Ron.

2) Chemistry. A corollary to the first reason, we have brought in a ton of new faces. While there's no doubt we've upped the talent level of this roster, consistent winning is as much about chemistry as anything. None of us knows for sure if our offense will hum in 2021, or fizzle. Yes - we've added some playmakers - but will they mesh and be successful as a unit? TBD.

3) The QB situation. Almost by default, our QB options in 2021 have improved. While I'm not as worried as some about Fitzpatrick's tendency to go Jeckyll and Hyde, he is 38 years old and I'm not yet convinced our OL (still being juggled around as we speak) can provide the protection he'll need to show us his better side, or to keep him healthy through 17 games. Behind him, we have 2 QBs I really like, neither of whom has been able to stay healthy and on the field. We've seen this act before where we feel okay about the guys under center, only to have the rug pulled out from under us. Until we have a young, talented, durable QB under center for the long haul, it is hard not to continue to worry about the 'what ifs' at the most important position on the field.

1. This is a very young team with young leadership figures on the field. I am interested in seeing how they react in adverse situations.

2. The linebacker corp is still inadequate in my mind.

3. Though I love them both…having a running back that was passed over 7 times by 32 teams in the draft pushing for a significant role and a TE who never played a down of organized football until last week with a chance to make the 53 is concerning.

4. I am not as concerned with the QB position as some but it is certainly not a position of strength.

(edit- that’s 4, apparently I suck at following direction)

All I can do here is echo a couple of other thoughts.

1) New Team! - Kind of an echo of the comments above. Ron has been instrumental in turning this franchise around and pointing it in a better direction, but it's still early days. Our uptick last year was, in part, due to our division also being the worst in football. If you think about all the other things that the team had to contend with last year - scandals, cancer treatments, pandemic, ownership battles, name changes, the list goes on! - arguably THIS year is really our first year with some form of stability. We can't rely on the rest of the division being awful this year, and we also have a division winners schedule.

2) I'm not hugely concerned...yet...but our overhaul of the receiving corps does worry me a little. We haven't seen Samuels on the field in anger yet, and our TE depth is shallow. I LOVE the pieces and I think Dyami could be really good. But we've seen struggles on offense before where QB and receivers take time to get on the same page. Hopefully not an issue, but you never know.

3) I'm HOPING that everything behind the D Line is much improved and we're good to go. BUT...we've seen highly paid CB's come in before and underperform. What has Collins got left post his injury? Will Davis make an immediate impact? Who have we got behind Chase and Sweat on the edge? I feel like the D will be our strength again this year, but there's still a lot of questions around the back end of it.

Note: Like Chris, I'm not worried about the QB position per se. As he said, it's not a position of strength, but I think we all understand that. The Fitz/Heineke/Allen triumvirate is merely a place holder for the future, and not THE future. So in my head I've been realistic enough with my expectations to know that we're likely not ready for runs at the Superbowl quite yet.

1) Battered fan syndrome - no matter what, we always see the best even when it's not pretty

2) We won a totally crap division last year, granted we did it with an immobile QB which replaced the Imbecile QB and with a roster lacking some talent in key places especially on offense. While the lineup looks better, being better on paper doesn't always translate to on field success. Unfortunately we know this all too well.

3) Rivera - is he a better coach than Gruden - yep, that doesn't mean a whole helluva lot though. Ron's resume includes a whopping 3 seasons above .500 out of 10 seasons

1. Strength of schedule. We have an absolute meat grinder of a schedule that includes all 4 team from championship weekend. During the pod I pointed out the QBs we will be facing. Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan, Dak Prescott (2 times). If Philly makes a play for Deshaun Watson, there's a chance we see him this year. We're going to be facing a brutal schedule, so if our Defense ends up top 10, I think that's still a very big accomplishment. A lot of people are pegging us as a top 3 defense, and if we ultimately end up tops in the league with THIS schedule, we're going deep into the playoffs because this defense will be ELITE.

2. Newness. This is all new... the offense we saw last year was putrid. Was that because of the limitations at QB or was it because that's the scheme? SO. IF thats the intended scheme (please god no), then we're likely going to see a similar offense run through upgraded talent. More likelihood of big plays, but not much more. If we're playing a whole different scheme (or at least a greatly evolved one) because less limitation, then the fact that these players are in the 2nd year of an offense is somewhat mitigated. Yes the verbiage is the same, but it could be a whole new / different playbook.

3. Youth. We are an extremely young team. The vast majority of our focal players are on rookie deals. We HOPE to take the next step with guys like Sweat / Payne / Young / Curl / Gibson / McLaurin (and believe me I have my own high level of confidence) continue to arc up... all of these guys are on rookie deals. Jamin Davis, Dyami Brown, Sammis Reyes, John Bates, Sam Cosmi.. all players we expect to have an impact on some level, are rookies. There is some serious talent here, but we also have to remember just how young this team is.

For me I have to agree with silent threat .. I knew we had a daunting schedule this year but in the last episode of the blind pig where you guys laid out the QB’s we face this year rather then just their team name really made a profound difference In the way Iooked at the schedule. Couple that with Rivera’s teams usually getting off to slow starts ,it’s could be a recipe for disaster

1. Defensive Leadership - don't get me wrong, I think we have some promising defensive leaders in the making such as Jon and Chase. That said, Tampa Bay taught this defense a hard lesson and proved they have a ways to go to get to elite status. Outside of Kendall Fuller, we do not have defensive players that have been through the grind of the playoffs and truly understand what it takes to climb the mountain. When times get tough, who is going to be the "been there, done that" voice that these guys will be able to lean on and look to with belief and conviction?

2. Run Game. For any of you who follow our Facebook page, I did a little thing where I previewed 10 guys that I thought held the keys to making this team go from decent to great. Antonio Gibson was #1 on my list. If the offense finds a way to run through him and he gives the team a McCaffrey type effect, we are going to be tough to stop. That all being said, year 2 for him might be a bit premature to expect that type of production out of Antonio. Other questions linger - has he learned the RB position well enough at this point? Is he durable enough?

3. Receiving Depth - it certainly is there on paper this year compared to previous seasons. However, if Samuel doesn't get to full health and his issues persist into the season, you are immediately putting a lot on a rookie's plate (Dyami Brown) to take the pressure off of McLaurin in the #2 role. I guess what I am saying is we have had several seasons in the past where it seemed as though we made some good moves to rectify the WR issue in Washington. In several instances, things just didn't pan out though. I hope we got it right this time.

I suppose at the end of the day, I am nitpicking here. What I have pointed out are 1st world problems so to speak from a football perspective I think. It's a lot better than saying Rashad Bauman is starting at Corner in Week 1. We are making strides....just maybe. 😉

I hope it doesn't come across like I'm DOWN on the team... just more pointing out why we shouldn't get overhyped. When we did our schedule breakdown pod, I still had us going 11-6. I think this team has the ability to be REALLY good.... I just don't think we should be mad at this team if we're not top 3 in defense, clamoring that they've underachieved.

I hope it doesn't come across like I'm DOWN on the team... just more pointing out why we shouldn't get overhyped. When we did our schedule breakdown pod, I still had us going 11-6. I think this team has the ability to be REALLY good.... I just don't think we should be mad at this team if we're not top 3 in defense, clamoring that they've underachieved.

I don't think anybody thinks you are down on the team, ST. You are realistic.

Heck, I started a thread on break pumping, so I must clearly be suffering from a major case of WFT anxiety myself. 😄

What will grind my gears most is if the team struggles somewhat this year and all of a sudden the fanbase starts calling for peoples' heads. That is what really irritates me, especially now when there is so much to legitimately be excited about in regards to this team's future for once.

It is not a matter of if the team is ready for the big stage or not (this group will be), it is more a matter of if the time is 2021 or not?

The offense is a huge question mark. I don't think it will suuuuuuck like last year :) but it will most likely be mediocre and inconsistent. Fitzpatrick doesn't strike fear into the heart of any team's defensive coordinator. He will probably play awesome until Week Four or Fve and then who knows? Even with an awesome defense turnovers will crush this team. We saw it at the beginning of last year. And Fitz isn't exactly Alex Smith when it comes to avoiding mistakes.

I fully expect the defense to be top five, but weirdness happens. Sometimes a unit take a step back before two steps forward. We saw that in '06 right here.

And lastly, if there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that Dan Snyder is the MASTER at getting fans to say "I know things have been bad, but THIS time it feels different!"

You know what would feel different? Winning 11 freaking games. THAT would feel different. Until then, it's not different.

I feel you on all that - although the counter on Fitzpatrick’s tendency to turn the ball over as compared to Alex Smith is that unlike Smith, he’ll be able to consistently complete 20+ yd passes.

I think it’s tough to know what to expect.

I feel you on all that - although the counter on Fitzpatrick’s tendency to turn the ball over as compared to Alex Smith is that unlike Smith, he’ll be able to consistently complete 20+ yd passes.

I think it’s tough to know what to expect.

Hell, even being willing to try will be a bonus.

1 - we ONLY beat a weakened and depleted NFC East. We haven't proven anything.

2 - we have a bunch of young guys who over achieved last year that we are hyping up to believe they are the next 85 Bears. Time to shut that down and get back to earning that title.

3 - Scott Turner has yet to prove to me that he has rhythm or the ability to get an opening drive TD. We have no 40 point games, and we have yet to show what kind of team we are.

I give Turner a lot of benefit of doubt for last year because he’s a very young OC and didn’t have a capable QB for most of the season. I expect a lot more this season with better QBing and legit weapons.

I can't argue that. I am just eager to see some "sprint bombs" with the speed and ability we have. I know I was quick to call it out 1st preseason game, but its mostly just a carry over from last year, and a bit of hangover from the shithead known as Jay Gruden's reign over us.

I give Turner a lot of benefit of doubt for last year because he’s a very young OC and didn’t have a capable QB for most of the season. I expect a lot more this season with better QBing and legit weapons.

Yep, no excuses this year. The offense doesn’t need to be elite but it absolutely does need to carry it’s weight.

Stay medium, Man! ;)

Seriously, your breakdown is on point. The LB's still make me nervous and Hopkins is going to be the death of me, as I have a bad feeling that he's going to cost us a game, or two. Regardless of the excuses, (new snapper, holder, timing, etc), he has not instilled a lot of confidence. I thought Rivera was all about having players compete for jobs, so it's a head-scratcher that there aren't more kickers in camp.

Mrs. Skinfan was never crazy about him and went ape-shit when he missed that chip-shot against the Bengals at Wembley stadium, (we were there), and she told everyone within earshot, that "If I were the coaches, I wouldn't let that SOB on team plane home!" Time has not diminished her loathing. It's tough to be in the same room with her when he lines up for a kick.

I was an apologist, for years, but I've given up. He makes me so nervous when he lines up, I just turn around and face the wall behind us. The roar, (or agonized moans & cursing), from the crowd lets me know how he did.

On a fun note, I've only attended 3 preseason games, in 40 years. I miss going to games so much, that I'm going to the game tonight. I can't wait to check out the new field and the chance to see some of our newer players, live, for the first time.

I can't argue that. I am just eager to see some "sprint bombs" with the speed and ability we have. I know I was quick to call it out 1st preseason game, but its mostly just a carry over from last year, and a bit of hangover from the shithead known as Jay Gruden's reign over us.
We need more fades, Man! More fades!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.