• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Why is Malcolm Kelley still on this team?

I have NO idea. And personally, I think the people who keep up the "If Kelly comes around and performs..." look absolutely silly. It was a stupid pick then, it remains a stupid pick now. We knew he had the degenerative knee condition (which I think has probably led to some of his other problems, albeit indirectly) and we took him anyway. There's a REASON the combine is so incredibly detailed. It's to AVOID things like this.

For the record, I have nothing against Malcolm, the young man, and I wish him the best. I just have no idea why we made that pick, nor why we continue to waste our time on Malcolm the player.

Easy answer to that questions. Potential. That word has been the death of many, many coahces, across all sports.

Kelly will be in the next series of cuts. At this point there are just too many options ahead of him at WR and he doesn't play special teams so he's not going to be around for depth.

Kelly will be in the next series of cuts. At this point there are just too many options ahead of him at WR and he doesn't play special teams so he's not going to be around for depth.

That about sums it up. I wish him the best but his future isn't with this team, or any other most likely.

I had to look this up: He signed a four-year, $3.36 million contract in 2008 with $1.655 million guaranteed.

If he saved some he'll be just fine.

We are trying to get him to agree to a surgical procedure where we take his hands off and place them on Hankerson. So far, Malcolm has been resisting the idea.

Feel bad for the guy, but there's nothing you can do about injuries and he has a body that's not made for football despite all the work he's put in.

pissboy.jpg

Oh piss boy.....

He's working for tips :)

I have NO idea. And personally, I think the people who keep up the "If Kelly comes around and performs..." look absolutely silly.

He's got all the talent in the world. I think what people have been saying (myself included) is if he gets healthy enough to play, he would dominate. That may be silly, but no sillier than championing Reed Doughty. ;)

I am not sure where this "all the talent in the world" idea originated, but this is the 3rd training camp in a row there has been some issue with him not getting on the field. I don't know if it was health related, but last year I distinctly remember he ran poor routes. Just 'cause you can catch a ball does not mean you are a NFL WR.

I guess championing a kid who never really got his chance or a hard working SS is tantamount to championing for a kid who can't catch the ball. :betterwink:

He's got all the talent in the world. I think what people have been saying (myself included) is if he gets healthy enough to play, he would dominate. That may be silly, but no sillier than championing Reed Doughty. ;)

Huge difference that's called availability. Much easier to champion a guy that is actually on the field more then in the training room rehabbing.

I am not sure where this "all the talent in the world" idea originated, but this is the 3rd training camp in a row there has been some issue with him not getting on the field. I don't know if it was health related, but last year I distinctly remember he ran poor routes. Just 'cause you can catch a ball does not mean you are a NFL WR.

I guess championing a kid who never really got his chance or a hard working SS is tantamount to championing for a kid who can't catch the ball. :betterwink:

Watch any of his Oklahoma highlight reels.

Watch any of his Oklahoma highlight reels.

So NCAA talent equates to NFL talent? Or are you suggesting it gives us a glimpse into what "could" be?

I would love to have seen what this kid has. Shanahan wanted to see it too, that's why he went on the IR last year. This season opens up and "Boom goes the dynamite!" He's injured again.

I think the writing is on the wall. Just one last glimpse into what the organization was. At this point it doesn't matter if he ends up in Denver and catches 99 passes and 1400 yards with 12 TD's. He can't even take the field for us now and we cannot afford to keep him with other receivers on the field making their case for making the team.

Has he been taking the roster spot of a more appropriate applicant? I would think that's the only reason to bump him; someone else better.

So NCAA talent equates to NFL talent? Or are you suggesting it gives us a glimpse into what "could" be?

Come on El - don't make me steal your favorite phrase and use it on you! You know just as well as I do, you can't coach hands. Kelly has ridiculous hands, & an ability to catch the ball anywhere around his body as can be seen from his Oklahoma highlight reels. So yes, that talent does translate. Route-running, learning the offense, etc. takes practice - something the kid has not been able to do.

I think the writing is on the wall. Just one last glimpse into what the organization was. At this point it doesn't matter if he ends up in Denver and catches 99 passes and 1400 yards with 12 TD's. He can't even take the field for us now and we cannot afford to keep him with other receivers on the field making their case for making the team.

Not saying I disagree - I have been making the case for keeping him on the team for this long; this is the final straw IMO. Just sad, because he does in fact have all the talent in the world.

DS has it right. As long as they have a roster spot open, there is no reason to cut the man loose. The potential is still to high. The minute they are forced to make a roster-based hard decision, they will.

I said he was done last year. I stand by that. The body is just too fragile.

But I'm not in a hurry to cut him loose until we have to. I mean ... stuff happens.

we may not be sage NFL personnel men, but there are more than a few players out there that we can tell won't be on the final roster. Kelly is one of them, for the reasons cited in this thread. Two other guys that aren't measuring up are late draft picks Brandyn Thompson and Aldrick Robinson, who were among the few players that didn't make a positive impression against the Steelers and have been lagging in camp as well.

Seems as if Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas should be one person to make it in the NFL.

Kelly has the work ethic and hands to be an effective receiver while Thomas as the speed and quickness (but nothing above the shoulders worth a damn).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.