• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Why Designating Sunberge to Return from IR was smart

tshile

In case you missed it, Sunberge has been placed on IR with the special designation of being brought back after 8 weeks.

You can only designate ONE person per year with this status, and you must designate them at the time you're placing them on IR.

I've heard quite a few radio hosts go off on this throughout the day. They're upset it was used on a long snapper.

Most of it is due to confusion about the rules, but some of it is missing a point; a point I missed until a guest on ESPN 980 pointed it out.

First - i started with the rules. You HAVE to designate the individual at the time of placing them on IR. You can only do it for one person per year.

Here's why it's smart, and the point I was missing until this afternoon:
How many injuries a year fit this specific situation? That is the situation of the player being out for 6-10 weeks, but not any longer.

Knee scoped? thats a month. Doesn't fit the requirement.
Broken ankle? Thats an entire season

Most injuries are way to short to use this rule, the player would be out for a few additional weeks to meet the 8 week minimum. Most injuries that are 8+ weeks wind up being entire seasons.

not to mention, after week 8, you can't even use the rule because it puts you past the regular season (i guess you can use it in post season play if you're good enough to be playing in late January)

So, instead of going into half time with 1 time out you didn't use, we used our one designation a year on a guy the coaching staff fell in love with. A guy who will be back in 8 weeks. I think it was a smart move.

The other reason we do this is because if you find a guy who is willing to stay on the field with a broken arm in order to help the team win, you want him to get back on the field as soon as possible. I don't care what position he plays.

The other reason we do this is because if you find a guy who is willing to stay on the field with a broken arm in order to help the team win, you want him to get back on the field as soon as possible. I don't care what position he plays.

absolutely. that was part of the falling in love with him by the coaching staff :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.