• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Why are NFL fans so willfully ignorant and stupid?...or "Is it just me or..."

CounterTrey

The Team Captain
Reaction score
Why are NFL fans so willfully ignorant and stupid?...or "Is it just me or..."

I read a ton on the net everyday being a stay at home Dad who also runs my personal business from home. There are several continuing trends of igonrance that I stumble across almost daily. Most I ignore, some I am compelled to respond. There are the stupid debates like the gun debates that perpetuate stupid lies about our country being under siege from "Automatic" assault weapons to stupid crap about our team's name to nonsense about every subject under the book. A few slide right off me like water off a ducks' back but a few just burrow under my skin like a chigger and aggravate until I'm ready to flay skin for relief. Lately it's been the name thing of course but a trend I have noticed and been both amused and annoyed by is the spin on RG3 and the zone read. Specifically how we run it, how much he runs and how effective he was.

This latest one is literally driving me to the brink. I literally wanna go full on meltdown on some of these sites like PFT. Its why I don't even bother commenting on most sites anymore...literally makes me want to wrap my head in duct tape to keep it from exploding..Ok a little hyperbole there but you get the point. Wake up morons, do some actual reading beyond the scope of your own team if you're going to spend time waxing poetic about the greatness of wilson et al and the lack of it from RG3 (Hah!). Here are a few gems from my most recent venture into this territory:

"By the 10th or 11th game of the year I was far more accepting of his style because he is ingenious in the ways he avoids contact. The same is not true of any of the other current running quarterbacks-RG3 is electric but careless in protecting himself, Kaepernick does a better job but still takes on too many direct hits, as does Cam Newton. Once injuries mount it will be a passing fad, but Wilson only runs a few designed run plays per game, most of his running is from scrambling, and that isn’t a fad, its survival."

"Tomlin is absolutely right, of course – it’s only a matter of time. The most mobile QB in league history just suffered a concussion and a torn ACL before his rookie year was over. To provide a little historical context and perspective, both Wilson and RGIII ran about twice/double as many times as rookies, as Steve Young averaged over his 11 year NFL career."

"RW reads coverages and goes through progressions, not sure any of the other qbs out of those mentioned do that (yet) and yet people only talk about him as a running qb… "

"The flavor of the month is in Maryland wearing burgundy and gold. That fraud is one and done, and was an overhyped, overrated feakshow that the East Coast media hyped up to such ridiculous levels that scouts actually started to believe in the fraud campaign. Russel Wilson is the REAL DEAL. The best QB to grace the league in over 50 years. A true leader. Natural talent. Makes everyone around him raise their talent level. A Genius."

"Put your money on Dick Lebeau . Lebeau has already devised a scheme to stop the read option. He made Robert Griffin III look like an average qb last season."

"Sorry RW3 but tomlin is right and your team has very high ecpectation which means more pressure on you goodluck but you wont be surpriseing any team this coming up year"

And this next epic gem represents the entire country's stupidity on this subject. Does no one pay any attention at all? Cripes, I'm beginning to think that douche Bill Maher was right!

"For some reason Wilson seems more well rounded than the other two. Perhaps because the read option and pistol don’t feature as prominently in Seattle as the other two. So many of his big plays were conventional dropbacks that lead to scrambles and big gains because the receivers were blanketed. Not to take anything away from RG3 OR Caepernick. Caepernick proved his throwing prowess in the Super Bowl with his pinpoint accuracy"

"Of the next-generation quarterbacks, Wilson actually runs the read option the least of the bunch."

"I never understand this theory of eliminating an offense, if a defense can just eliminate an offense, how do teams even score points, if something works, it’s not cause the defense is letting it happen, I think kap and Wilson are gonna tear it up next year, cam and rg3, not so much…."

"The only problem with running that style of Offense is the huge risk to the QB taking too many hits throughout the game. Yes, all QB’s get hit, but the scrambling Quarterback gets hit more often. Look at RG3 and his injury…
That may not have been preventable, but the odds go down with less running."

Now I know the rest of you have the same issues...no way as a Skins fan you can't. Ya know issues like Facts and accuracy. I feel like spamming every article that even mentions this crap with the tagline. "RG3 was NOT injured on a read option play, he was injured on a scramble from a broken play!!!" The continued ignorant theme is that RG3 runs the R.O. SO much and so much more than the others. The other funny implication is that anyone was more effective as a regular season rookie QB than RG3 was. The numbers are right there you dolts...and they are undeniable. He was 1st or 2nd in passer rating for almost the entire season. We WON the NFCE. We were 10 minute away from sweeping the entire division!

I know this is nothing new and most of us have learned to accept the rampant stupidity and ignorance that seems ubiquitous on the net, but is it really that much to ask supposed "die hard" NFL fans and actual people who report on it for a living to get these facts and analysis right? Does anyone at all outside of Washington listen to anything that Shanahan has to say or watch actual film of the games? The QB was actually taking LESS contact this way...look at Grossman, he was getting KILLED almost every down. Yes Griffin needs to improve on his sense of when to self preserve and when to "go for it" but I'm so freakin sick of this myth that he runs that much more than the other guys or that he runs DESIGNED runs as much as these idiots seem to think or better yet that immobile pocket QB's don't get hurt (Brady and Manning anyone...Marino?). The only thing lately in football that drives me more nuts is "Redskins is offensive and rooted in racism".

Yea good point. Actually a lot of people do say the stuff about him running so much and the Redskins calling his number...I correct that a LOT. People just believe what a talking head says way too much these days unfortunately. It's not just the sports world, we have this great resource for learning and research and many of its users seems to spend very little time actually drawing on that resource. It's just regurgitate. I guess the media are the most frustrating, I used to love watching sports highlights and shows, they've gotten so lazy now and hired too many morons. The pros are fewer and further between.

Mama also said, "Stupid is as stupid does!" And, there is a lot of stupid out there today. Facts are just a non-required nuisance it would appear. What makes it worse is that most people don't seem to care how stupid they sound or appear. It's like a fad; people think it is cool to be as stupid as humanly possible, which explains the fascination in reality television and other crap floating around. When you have the national media living by this mantra AND local shows, like say Lavar and Dukes, it is like fighting the wind to give intelligence a chance to be heard. So sad. I need a beer.

The answer to your question is the media. Any intelligent football fan goes above and beyond to get any and all info about their team. Hacks on TV do not and they have to cover 32 of them plus many dabble in other sports.

The drama that the media is trying to stir up in DC over Shanahan and RG3 having a "rift" is the newest on my long list of reasons why I hate the media.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.