• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Who will be the new Head Coach

Three winning seasons out of nine. Never back-to-back winning seasons.

This is apparently the most coveted coach of the offseason ...

I know, right? It makes me wonder if this is what was suggested to Dan by the league or he came up with this in his own non football mind

To me it just sucks that Lord Farquaad didn't have a GM lined up to take over and let him pick the new coach. But as they say, the leopard never changes its spots

Bill Belichick was a mediocre coach before taking over at New England. A great DC for the Giants, then doesn't make it as a HC first time out. He compiled a 36–44 record as head coach of Cleveland, leading the team to the playoffs in 1994, his only winning year with the team. Then he gets another shot in NE, a lucky break with Brady, and the rest is history as they say.

We could give the job to one of the top coordinator prospects, and he could just as easily fail, as can any college prospects. If I had my choice, Mike McCarthy would be our next coach, but there haven't even been any whispers of his name. McCarthy and Rivera are the only vet coach names that have any promise attached to them, and I don't know how anybody can be so sure about any coaching choice.

Maybe Snyder was advised to bring in a coach, and then work with him to make a choice of the next GM. Nobody knows how he was advised, or how the FO will be structured, but we'll condemn it all in less then 24 hours knowing nothing beyond Snyders running record. For many, that's enough. Not for me. This team has hit rock bottom, and Snyder knows nothing but a winning team will bring his cash cow back to life. The only thing we actually know at this moment is, Snyder was advised to move on from Bruce, and that was good advise and starting point.

Report on Twitter that Snyder and Rivera are having dinner currently with.... Barack Obama.

From the files of WTF?

Report on Twitter that Snyder and Rivera are having dinner currently with.... Barack Obama.

I didn't think my hatred of dan snyder could go any deeper. I was mistaken.

Probably meeting about changing the team name

Last edited by a moderator:
Twitter never lies ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitter never lies ...

From what I've seen it's more likely to be a place to find the truth if you're not a blind ideologue than you'll ever get watching television or reading the paper.

ESPN report this AM.

Rivera signed for 5 years.

Details at presser tomorrow.

ESPN report this AM.

Rivera signed for 5 years.

Details at presser tomorrow.

So once again, GM Snyder signs a coach. I don't know why he just doesn't pull a Jerrah and announce the title for himself

Gibbs and Rivera are good friends. Snyder didn't come up with this hire on his own.

Things are changing in the NFL.

Shanahan was hired in SF before John Lynch who took the GM position.

Gruden hired Mayock in Oakland after he signed as HC.

In other places Andy Reid and Bill Belichick select their own personnel executives and these guys rotate in and out to take other jobs over the years.

That's the trend in the NFL now.

Hiring the GM first is not a guarantee.

Gettelman hired Shurmur in NY.

Look at the mess in Cincinnati with Zac Taylor.

GM John Dorsey hired Freddie Kitchens who was the worst hire in 2018.

Gibbs and Rivera are good friends. Snyder didn't come up with this hire on his own.

Things are changing in the NFL.

Shanahan was hired in SF before John Lynch who took the GM position.

Gruden hired Mayock in Oakland after he signed as HC.

In other places Andy Reid and Bill Belichick select their own personnel executives and these guys rotate in and out to take other jobs over the years.

That's the trend in the NFL now.

Hiring the GM first is not a guarantee.

Gettelman hired Shurmur in NY.

Look at the mess in Cincinnati with Zac Taylor.

GM John Dorsey hired Freddie Kitchens who was the worst hire in 2018.

All true but lets face it, DS hires have been abysmal

My point though is perhaps for the first time Snyder didn't go with his gut but actually listened to others.

My point though is perhaps for the first time Snyder didn't go with his gut but actually listened to others.

I don't know. His track record suggests otherwise and let's face it, there's not really to many other candidates out there. It's a good possibility that a respectable GM would have done the same thing. But I'm long past this organization having someone that can find another Joe Gibbs on someone else's staff, and I'm gonna have to see a LOT more changes in order to be fooled again

My gut tells me some of the good ol boys from the NFL might have made some "suggestions", kinda along the lines of the one offered by Don Corleone

What do you think about Rivera as the guy Bulldog?

He's a good choice as coach. Even Norman admits he ran a tight ship and got the most out of the players on the roster.

I think Rivera's term in Carolina came to an end for one simple reason - the decline of Cam Newton.

With Newton's contract the team wasn't moving on from him in a formal sense and the former GM, Dave Gettelman, had made some questionable decisions in terms of contracts that hamstrung the Panthers' ability to move forward, see Andrew Norwell.

Then Gettelman went to the Giants and you can see with the Nate Solder and Golden Tate contracts he is up to his old tricks again.

Every time I watched the Panthers their defense seemed solid, they were disciplined and played for 60 minutes.

I don't recall the team carrying anyone the way the Redskins carried Josh Norman or Shawn Lauvao in recent years.

Now, what Rivera brings in terms of personnel evaluation in re the draft and free agency is a gray area at this point.

Was he the guy trying to keep the Panthers competitive long-term or was he the one urging Gettlemen to overspend to retain players?

My guess based on the fact Rivera seemed to have no interest in reuniting with Gettleman in NY is that they disagreed on personnel and that's why Rivera wants to come here where he will have greater input into personnel.

The reason why a 35 year old first time coach would not have been the best selection is simple - Dan Snyder and the culture.

The new coach is going to have to be confident, self-assured with a hard shell. Experienced and able to deal with Dan when Dan does decide to try and intervene as he occasionally does.

IMO a guy like Eric Bienemy might be a good candidate as an NFL head coach but I can't imagine a guy with no HC experience coming here with all the baggage of Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder from recent years and being able to handle all of that while trying to build a winner.

Note that guys like Matt LaFleur walked into an organization with a firm structure in place, a franchise qb in his prime and a recent history of playing winning football in the 2000's.

Schefter reporting Jack Del Rio leading candidate for the DC job. We're going ‘all hard add' on this new staff...

Schefter reporting Jack Del Rio leading candidate for the DC job. We're going ‘all hard add' on this new staff...

peter griffin - go on...  (1).jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.