• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Who gets ticked off?

fansince62

So...we shift to a 4/3. That leaves Allen, Payne, Ionidus for two starting DT positions (assuiming Chase is drafted). Sure, there will be a rotation. But the odd man out, IMO, will be unhappy and want out (i.e., money).

For that matter, does Kerrigan hit the pine while Young and Sweat start?

Agree? Disagree?

I think you will see Payne and Allen as the guys who play all 3 downs. Ioannidis will be the run down guy. On 3rd downs, it will be Young and Sweat on the outside with Kerrigan spelling them. It could be Kerrigan starting the year being the veteran. But assuming no injury, that’s how I see it. People are hyping a QB competition, even though I don’t expect there to be one, but the d line competition will be the one to watch.

The good news is that with those 6 guys, you have a ton of options. You could see Sweat, Young, and Kerrigan all in together. The Giants made that famous a few years ago. Frankly, this is a great thing to have all this depth. Not just for injury insurance, but for the ability to use all this talent in various ways.

I’m kinda anxious to see what our 3rd and forever d-line pass rushers looks like.

a Young...Allen...Kerrigan...Ion...Sweat alignment twisting and stunting will give opposing qb’s ptsd for sure.

For the original question I’d say Payne is the odd man out. Kerrigan will also see less reps in the over all rotation. But with the added rest he rejuvenates back to his double digit sacks. Our pass rush is going to be disgusting

So...we shift to a 4/3. That leaves Allen, Payne, Ionidus for two starting DT positions (assuiming Chase is drafted). Sure, there will be a rotation. But the odd man out, IMO, will be unhappy and want out (i.e., money).

Agree? Disagree?

Odd man out doesn't matter, we're not going to be able to pay them all, anyway. We'll lose Allen or Payne to FA simply because we can't pay them all.

As for Ionnides being the odd man out...he was our most productive DL last year with 7.5 sacks from the interior, so why would he be odd man out?

In 5 years we're going to have the most expensive DL in the league, especially since Chase Young will be re-signed or tagged then. I'm not worried about a rotation, I'm worried about who will still be on the team in 2 years.

Odd man out doesn't matter, we're not going to be able to pay them all, anyway. We'll lose Allen or Payne to FA simply because we can't pay them all.

As for Ionnides being the odd man out...he was our most productive DL last year with 7.5 sacks from the interior, so why would he be odd man out?

In 5 years we're going to have the most expensive DL in the league, especially since Chase Young will be re-signed or tagged then. I'm not worried about a rotation, I'm worried about who will still be on the team in 2 years.

El...that was kinda where I was headed. But you refined the context. It's a nice problem to have just the same...so long as we win.

As others have already mentioned; "It's a good problem to have". As much as I hate to use this as an example...remember the Giants from several years back where they seemed to have an endless supply of good young defensive lineman? They would just rotate them in. Everyone stays fresh so when they're in they can play at a high level. As part of a unit they all look good. We just need to keep the pump primed by drafting players on the D line (and O line for that matter) every year. Not necessarily in the first or second round, but something every year.

There is so much film and ways to study modern players I dodn't think anyone needs to worry about being overlooked. If they're getting the job done, even with reduced play time, it WILL be noticed.

I'm not sure I see the issue. There is typically plenty of ball to go around for the big uglies in the middle of the DL. The best teams out there tend to rotate heavily to keep their guys as fresh as possible and help avoid injury. If we are smart, no one plays more than 60% of the snaps and everyone is happy - especially if we are winning.

Last edited:
It is a good problem to have. I was thinking along two planes:
- what El posted
- how will someone who started handle the implicit demotion whether paraded as rotation/we're all starters or not

It is a good problem, but...it makes me wish we had selected Derwin James instead of Payne.

has ANYONE on our defense made it 16 games without missing one? Or at lease have they not needed a rest?

We need depth on the DL badly.

Well...to open a different can of worms......what is received opinion on how RR handled Cam?

Hard to tell from a distance. But they did make a super bowl together.

Cam played ball...no doubt. But he also asserted his independence and voice in the media. Just like Haskins has

Social media is the new norm. Unavoidable, and for the most part, incontrollable.

Young folk saying stupid shit is as old as dirt.

The two are married now. 'til death do they part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agree? Disagree?

I don't think anyone gets pissed off, if anything they will like it better.

Last year in Manusky's defense we were primarily a 3-4 and snap counts looked like this:

Allen - 722 - 63.78%
Payne - 758 - 66.96%
Ioannidis - 827 - 73%

I'd imagine you will see a very regular rotation of the DTs, and those snaps will be pretty equal across the line. I also think Del Rio will be moving pieces around. Kerrigan and Young likely will be standing up at times and playing OLB when we need to go big, and in pass rush situations.

I don't think anyone gets pissed off, if anything they will like it better.

Last year in Manusky's defense we were primarily a 3-4 and snap counts looked like this:

Allen - 722 - 63.78%
Payne - 758 - 66.96%
Ioannidis - 827 - 73%

I'd imagine you will see a very regular rotation of the DTs, and those snaps will be pretty equal across the line. I also think Del Rio will be moving pieces around. Kerrigan and Young likely will be standing up at times and playing OLB when we need to go big, and in pass rush situations.

Good point. Aside from starting, I think it get's to be an issue once contracts end and who receives starter money. Again, it's better than the alternative: not having talent worth keeping!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.