• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Who do you want under center in 2011?

I've been screaming for Rabach to be replaced since 2007.

We can replace Rabach in the Free Agency. Mankins anyone? Hopefully another strong interior offensive lineman like Ryman's suggestion of Khalil from Carolina or Carl Nicks from New Orleans. All are still young enough to be contributors for years to come.

As for the draft, I am finally buying into the need to draft defense. DE and DT who fit the 3-4 should be priorities if we remain in the 3-4 like we assuredly will.

There appears to be no QB in this draft that is worth a top 10 pick, maybe we could gamble on someone like Ponder in the second round, but from what I saw from him when I was at FSU when he took over, I am not impressed. He's got game, but NFL starter/franchise QB? I don't think so.

Here's a write up that seemed to echo what many have been saying.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/seniorbowl.html

Last edited:
so...do we win more games next season by bulking up the d-line or the o-line? if you have to chose....where should the priority fall?

so...do we win more games next season by bulking up the d-line or the o-line? if you have to chose....where should the priority fall?

Through the draft? If it is through draft only, gotta go with DE, OLB and/or DT for the 3-4. Like Bulldog's Twin said, sometimes the draft dictates who will be chosen. Last year was the year for offensive lineman, OT's to be more specific. This draft looks like DE/OLB is the position with many options.

Add 2 players, another OLB/DE and a DT in the the first 2 rounds at those positions and I feel we could see dramatic improvement next year. If we don't address the needs in the 3-4, it does not matter how good our offense is, we will not get any better.

if we want immediate improvement we have to go Oline, the D has too many holes to expect immediate improvement, Rak is our best fit right now and landry is our best overall player, other than them the D is one large hole. carriker is decent and then thats about it right now. oh and fletch is capable.

Thinking draft only, gun to the head, can only choose one?
BPA. If he's O-line, great. If he's D-line, great. If he's a LB, great. These are the areas we most need to improve.

While I agree with brother Ryman on the monumental idiocy of switching to the 3-4 when we did, I disagree that we should abandon it now.

On defense, improving as many of the front seven positions as we can would be my preference. Give me a NT, a DE, one ILB, and one OLB.

On offense, we could use a G, and a RT. And I may be alone on this one, but I think we need to replace Rabach too.:twitch:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rex holding down the fort while our late 2nd-3rd round pick(acquired in a trade down) Andy Dalton sits on the bench and learns so he can start in 2012.

:)

fansince62 said:

Through the draft? If it is through draft only, gotta go with DE, OLB and/or DT for the 3-4. Like Bulldog's Twin said, sometimes the draft dictates who will be chosen. Last year was the year for offensive lineman, OT's to be more specific. This draft looks like DE/OLB is the position with many options.

Add 2 players, another OLB/DE and a DT in the the first 2 rounds at those positions and I feel we could see dramatic improvement next year. If we don't address the needs in the 3-4, it does not matter how good our offense is, we will not get any better.

And don't forget we've got a few OL from the practice squad who may step up this year that we drafted last year. No matter how much the armchair QBs want to say they suck, Cook & Capers could be contributors this year. Definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

And don't forget we've got a few OL from the practice squad who may step up this year that we drafted last year. No matter how much the armchair QBs want to say they suck, Cook & Capers could be contributors this year. Definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

hope you're right. I'm adopting a different approach to the Skins this season. whether it's d-line, o-line, QB...doesn't matter as much to me. gonna trust in these cats as much as I can and try to enjoy the ride. What matters is that the personnel department finds difference makers. I'm hoping for some real studs who can flat out change games. don't care what positions they play!!!!

though I have to confess...it'll take all my personal reserve not to gag every time I see Grossman step behind center. lordy, lordy......won't you give us some Mercedes Benz players!!!!

I would like to see either DL, LB or OL with first pick. Regardless if stay at 10 or trade back.

Another red flag with Newton is his dad is running his pro day or workout. I just see too many headaches dealing with this kid and his father. If he doesn't start day one will his dad demand a trade?

I'm trying hard not to laugh at this seriously "burgundy and gold" tinted view of this year's draft. It has more issues than an airport magazine rack, starting with the fact that no trades can happen until after the start of the NFL's fiscal year and that won't happen until a new labor deal is done. I don't see that happening in time for the draft so in all likely hood, the picks we have today are the picks we will have on draft weekend.

Yeah, I don't read bleacherreport anymore for that reason, Neo.

It's easy to say, let's trade back and accumulate more picks but it is difficult to do. And I like Andy Dalton but not sure if he is the answer to our QB question.

Lanky, as I was looking through a few of the Mocks, I thought about Capers. There has to be something they are concerned with in his development because they continued to choose Stephon Heyer over him all year. Stephon Heyer!

I hope you're right about those guys. That could be the variable that keeps us from signing O-line. Still, I would like to see us spend a little and get 2 of the Pro-Bowl interior lineman that are available.

Of course all this is contingent on having a CBA in place. All my speculation is under the belief the players are not stupid enough not to come to an agreement with the owners. I believe the NFL would rebound, but I can tell you I would refrain from going to a game for a long time if they didn't resolve this. It has been years and I am only this year considering going to another hockey game. I still have not been to a professional baseball game since they had a strike.

I like the idea of Capers but he went form being a first to third rounder to us getting him late late late, then he didnt break a line up where lets be honest, his competition was a terrible OT in heyer and a guy playing on one leg in brown.

I like the idea of Capers but he went form being a first to third rounder to us getting him late late late, then he didnt break a line up where lets be honest, his competition was a terrible OT in heyer and a guy playing on one leg in brown.
The optimist in me would like to think that, the coaching staff didn't want to rush the kid into playing until he was better prepared to have the best chance to succeed. Giving him a full season to really soak up the techniques they're trying to teach him, and with this offseason to get stronger, and even more comfortable with the system, he might well take over as a solid backup next season, if not a starter.

Same goes for Riley and Henson at LB.

Hope, the other white meat.

The optimist in me would like to think that, the coaching staff didn't want to rush the kid into playing until he was better prepared to have the best chance to succeed. Giving him a full season to really soak up the techniques they're trying to teach him, and with this offseason to get stronger, and even more comfortable with the system, he might well take over as a solid backup next season, if not a starter.

Same goes for Riley and Henson at LB.

Hope, the other white meat.

Pats Ax on the head, its ok Little buddy.

I think I read that they were going to work Capers at guard some the later part of last year. Anyone else here that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.