• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Who are the really good NFL coaches?

RG3 Fan

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Baylor
In my opinion there are a lot of average head coaches in the NFL and very few superstars. Who are the superstars in your opinion?

I believe there are many up and coming coaches that just need a shot. The game has changed so a coach can't just be an X and O's guy. The age of the grumpy old coach leading with an Iron fist are passed...unless he's winning because anything goes if you are winning. The media puts some players and coaches on a pedestal and rips them to shreds when they come up short. The fans follow suit. It's a copy cat league so it's probably fairly easy to over value one's talents because he understands a new successful system better than another. There have been some real solid coaching from several teams this year. Seattle,San Fran, Carolina, Arizona, New England,Philadelphia, KC, Denver and a few others. I've never understood how the coaches from New England seem to struggle...so there is a valid hole in my view.

There are no coaches in the NFL today that I would categorize as great. There are plenty of good coaches and some have latched on with great players, but there are none that compare to Parcells, Walsh, Gibbs, Shula, Halas, Lombardi, Landry, Brown, Noll, etc.

Those who I think could be great with more time: Sean Payton, Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, and Bruce Arians. Time will tell.

It's hard to argue Bill Belichick isn't a coaching superstar. He's only had one losing season in New England, which was his first. Had at least 10 wins in every season since 2002. 17-7 playoff record and 3-2 in Super Bowls. I also heard this stat today, that in the last 13 years, the Patriots have had a first round playoff by 8 times. That's twice as much as the next closest which is Chicago and Pittsburgh who has 4. Love him or hate him, the guy wins.

I respectfully disagree. Without Tom Brady, BB is a very average coach and probably below average. When you look at the coaching trees of many all time great coaches, the list is impressive. The coaching tree of BB is lined with nothing but losers to put it bluntly and honestly. BB will get to the HOF with his record, but Brady is the one who put him there.

I respectfully disagree. Without Tom Brady, BB is a very average coach and probably below average. When you look at the coaching trees of many all time great coaches, the list is impressive. The coaching tree of BB is lined with nothing but losers to put it bluntly and honestly. BB will get to the HOF with his record, but Brady is the one who put him there.

Bill Belichicks coaching tree should have a dvr sideline setup somewhere near the top of it.

I really don't agree about Brady though, saying Belicheat is nothing without Brady is like saying that Walsh wasn't shit without Montana. At least Belicheat got Cleveland to the playoffs once. Most NFL coaches, with the exception of Gibbs, won their Super Bowls with 1 QB. Even Lombardi won nothing without Starr and that crew.

I would say that more than likely his video production was responsible for at least the 3 point differences in all 3 of his SB wins and Parcells may have been the originator of that way back in the Giants days when they somehow beat teams they had no business beating as well, especially in 1990 (49ers/Bills with Hostertler).

I hope one day we get into some knock down drag out arguments over wether our New Coach X is responsible for our multiple Super Bowl wins or if he was riding Griffins coat tails. I'd be in heaven!!!

There are no coaches in the NFL today that I would categorize as great. There are plenty of good coaches and some have latched on with great players, but there are none that compare to Parcells, Walsh, Gibbs, Shula, Halas, Lombardi, Landry, Brown, Noll, etc.

Those who I think could be great with more time: Sean Payton, Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, and Bruce Arians. Time will tell.

You make an interesting point. The one thing your list of great coaches have in common is there was no FA or it was Plan B FA. These coaches could build a team and keep core guys.

Belichick has to be considered THE superstar in the league today.

Look at who he's lost this year on D and look at the motley mess he has on his wr corp,his best receiver,Gronk, gone and tell me how in the hell he not only made the playoffs but earned a first round bye??!!

Probably his best coaching job of his career is this year.

Belichick has to be considered THE superstar in the league today.

Look at who he's lost this year on D and look at the motley mess he has on his wr corp,his best receiver,Gronk, gone and tell me how in the hell he not only made the playoffs but earned a first round bye??!!

Probably his best coaching job of his career is this year.

Not to mention, Brady had a very non-Bradyish year. They never really had a number one RB or WR either until Gronk stepped up but now he's done. Crazy.

Not to mention, Brady had a very non-Bradyish year. They never really had a number one RB or WR either until Gronk stepped up but now he's done. Crazy.

Amendola with over 100 catches isn't a #1 WR?

Whoa, whoa, whoa...wait a minute. In the modern age of salary cap and parity in the nfl, every single team and coach has had their ups and downs, except for New England and BB. New England has won at least 10 games every year for the last 11 seasons. No other team is even in the same universe when it comes to consistently winning. Brady is one of the greatest of all time, but so is BB.

No one has been a bigger "yeah but" skeptic of Belichick than I have over years, but to suggest he isn't a "great" head coach by any kind of objective standard isn't fair. Yes, he had one of the best QB's of all time throughout those years, and without Brady falling from his sky we wouldn't be having this conversation. But the man HAS managed to put a well disciplined, consistent product on the field around his QB for many years, and that's not easy. One thing you never see from Patriots teams under Belichick is lack of preparation, or the kind of brain-dead play you see from ... well, a whole lot of other teams. It's not Bill's fault Brady fell from the sky. If nothing else, he gets credit for putting a consistently professional football team on the field around his star QB for too long for it to be mere luck or coincidence.

Couldn't agree more Mark. The primary reason people hate Belichick, Brady, and company is because they've been so consistently successful. Nonsense like chalking up their success to 'cheating' is intellectually dishonest. If Belichick and Brady had been leaders on our team I guarantee you we'd be singing their praises and defending them to the death - without exception .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.