• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Which safety emerges

Which safety emerges?

• Total voters

burgold

The Pro Bowler
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Which safety emerges as a player for the Redskins this year...

Will it be Merriweather coming back from injury who shows that game and a half was not a mirage, but the tip of the iceberg?

Pugh who coaches seem to like and talk about a good bit.

Rambo who fell all the way to the 6th round and is currently fighting his way back onto the playing field from Vietnam bringing back a host of POW-IR with him?

Thomas, the other rookie, who despite being drafted higher seems to get less love because he has a less fun name?

Someone else? None of 'em? Multiple guys?

And what do you mean by emerge... clearly, emerging means something different for a starter coming back from injury than it does to a career back up or a fresh faced rookie.

I think it'll be Merriweather for at least this season, being hot early and somewhat leveling off. Or I could be totally surprised and he plays all-year at a high level.

Nick

I honestly thought I'd be in the minority voting for Meriweather. :whoknows:

I'd be lying if I didn't admit to being in awe of him during his 37 minutes of play last year. I hope he can pick up where he left off that day with his smarts and physicality.

I'd love to see a rookie step up, but I fear our scheme needs a veteran in there to hold his hand for a little while. If I was forced to pick between Thomas and Rambo I would have to pick Thomas. Rambo is a recovering knucklehead who I refuse to trust until he proves me wrong.

I went with Thomas - he played in a scheme very close to ours in college, and he's a great athlete. I've never been a huge Meriweather fan; yes, he played well for 37 minutes this year, but we never got to see bad Meriweather b/c he was injured before we could.

For me, best case scenario is Merriweather at first, then him giving way to one of the youngin's as the year goes on. Merriweather was impressive in the half he played, but Lanky is correct as well, teams in the NFL don't give up on an impressive talent like that without any reason. Not sure I'm comfortable depending on him, and I would love for him to start out blazin', but have to give way because one of the kids unseats him.

This thread allows me to say something that has been on my mind since mid-December.

Meriweather is the reason we went on a seven game winning streak, imho. We came back from the bye and the season was basically over. Coaches were in evaluation mode and while a win over the Eagles was certainly possible (especially with their rookie QB just getting his feet wet), no one would've been surprised if it was another loss for the Redskins.

Meriweather's play seemed to spark the defense that day and the offense quickly responded too. From there, the rest is history. For whatever reason, the defense was vastly improved over the next six games. It's like Meriweather had suddenly turned on a light for the defense and taught them that all you need is a spark and some intensity.

How many times have we seen a key moment turn an entire game around? I truly believe that Meriweather's inspired play that day helped to turn around the entire team into a hungry winner.

I honestly think this may be the year that the people who have told me for seven years that we needed to replace Reed, get their wish.

I'll be honest. I'm not happy about that. But I am proud of the fact that I picked out an underdog that I liked, and he consistently rewarded me for standing solidly in his corner. Very good player, great young man, and one that I'm proud was a Redskin for AT LEAST 7 years.

That out of the way, I don't think Merriweather belongs on this list. What does he need to emerge from, besides his injury? When he's healthy, he is truck stick/beast mode personified.

Of the kids though, I really like Thomas. I think he can long down one of the safety spots long term.

But I'm rooting for Rambo. I'd like to see him prove the doubters wrong, show that he's grown up, and demonstrate a professional attitude AND ability to perform.

And just so he knows, when I pick an underdog, it usually works out well for said 'dog.

HAIL.

I honestly think this may be the year that the people who have told me for seven years that we needed to replace Reed, get their wish.

HAIL.

I think Reed sticks at least one more year if for no other reason than boy did he step up at the end of the season and in the playoff game. Everyone noticed him in a really positive way. Combo that with his team's play and I think he has a job to lose.

As a back up and a spot player, he's good. As a free safety, he just doesn't have the range to make it work even though I think he knows where he should be.

Yeah I'm kind of sick of the Reed bashing.

He's a high quality backup and special teams guy. He's absolutely proven he's not capable of being a starter. You need those guys too, and running them out of town because the team didn't have enough sense to have a starting safety on the roster seems silly to me.

I hope it will be Merriweather, more as a feel good come back story, but I think it will be Thomas.

BB's mention of the galvanizing effect Merriweather had on the 2012 season is a timely and appropriate one. I'll stop short of saying his 37 minutes were "the reason" the team went on that seven-game streak (and might well have been longer but for The Battle of Wounded Knee), but the point is well taken. We'll never know how much the adjustments Haslett & Co. made during the bye, and other factors, contributed to the defensive solidification the rest of the way, but the spark and resulting confidence BW gave the defense that afternoon was undeniable.

Having a reliable force at safety again would be an incalculable boost to a Redskins team with an explosive offense that is still young and evolving. Here's another hopeful vote that BW proves to be that guy.

Who is this mysterious BW? ;)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Reed's career has lasted well beyond the average NFL career. I'm pretty positive that if we move on from him, he'll catch on somewhere as a special teams/depth player. There are plenty of teams that have teams problems.

As far as Meriweather sparking the defense - I never really thought about it that way, but I think that's a bit of a stretch. The Redskins were simply a better team than the Eagles last year, and would have spanked them with or without Brandon. Maybe they played a bit harder seeing him pick off a pass? Sure....but anything beyond that is a bit of a reach.

Watch the first half of the Eagles game from start to finish again if you can, Lanky. Merriweather brought a physical presence to the back 7 that afternoon that had been long and sorely lacking. It was impossible to miss.

Thomas will be our new D Hall--in terms of huge interceptions. But younger. He can change games.

BW brings the intensity, but may not last 16 games.

But why limit it to just one? Three would be great. Thomas, Rambo and BW.

Thomas will be our new D Hall--in terms of huge interceptions. But younger. He can change games.

BW brings the intensity, but may not last 16 games.

But why limit it to just one? Three would be great. Thomas, Rambo and BW.

I didn't... at least not on the poll. You were allowed multiple picks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.