• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Where is RGIII safest?

Where is RGIII the safest?

• In the pocket

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Out of the pocket

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • At home, crocheting potted-plant hangers

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

Jugband McGillicuddy

The Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Rival Allegiance
Alma Mater
Marshall
OK, forgive another RGIII thread, but I want to get a little more specific with this one.

I keep hearing from the talking heads in the national media that, apparently, we need to completely revamp our offense so that RGIII isn't putting himself in harm's way downfield when he runs.

I want to get your take on this.

My feeling is that when he's running, generally, he can see where the hits are coming from, and therefore "prepare" for it (i.e. dodge, slide, hurdle, step out of bounds.) He's also dealing with LBs and DBs as opposed to 300-pound DTs and huge DEs with 4.5 speed.

I would venture to say that the overwhelming majority of QBs are injured in the pocket; either from the blindside, or guys coming in low. Granted, more of the league's QBs ARE traditional drop-back passers.

But am I completely wrong in thinking that if you're about to get hit by a bus, your odds are better if you can see the bus coming? Is there any evidence that QBs are inherently safer in the pocket than not?

What say you?

As long as Tyler Polumbus is protecting him in pass pro, he will never be "safe" in the pocket. The talking heads who think they know football are rather ignorant as to the necessity of this scheme with our inadequate pass protection.

El said it best. Until TP gets replaced he's safest on Trent's side.

I wanna see a helluva lot more play action this season from Kyle. That's his safest 'zone' IMHO.

Fran Tarkington who was known for his scrambling ability had his career ended while staying in the pocket. In the pocket or out of the pocket it doesn't matter. He has got to learn how to use the sidelines and sliding to stay safe. Otherwise his potentially outstanding career will come to a tragic end.

Better receivers and play calling that exploits such a strength will help most! Either folks other than Garcon step up...or move on. A stellar passing attack freezes the D for a sec or so. We already have the running component - so long as it stays healthy.

Its football; until Goodell has his way and makes it two-hand touch on the QB, he is not "safe" anywhere. So, by default, he is safer at home with the crochet needles. Lol.

He will be safest at the end of the season when he is holding the Lombardi above his head!

SC and FS combine to score thread victory by knockout! lol

But it seems like the consensus here is "it's football. It's a violent game, no matter where you are on the field." That's what I thought too.

SC and FS combine to score thread victory by knockout! lol

But it seems like the consensus here is "it's football. It's a violent game, no matter where you are on the field." That's what I thought too.

Tom Brady & Peyton Manning have both had season-ending (Peyton's was career-threatening) injuries while in the pocket; there is no "safe" place for a QB. Brandon Meriweather crumpled to the field with zero contact (how many times have we seen that?) - these things just happen. Have to have faith in Dr. Andrews' knee reconstruction and RGIII's drive to rebuild his strength. :)

Tom Brady & Peyton Manning have both had season-ending (Peyton's was career-threatening) injuries while in the pocket; there is no "safe" place for a QB. Brandon Meriweather crumpled to the field with zero contact (how many times have we seen that?) - these things just happen. Have to have faith in Dr. Andrews' knee reconstruction and RGIII's drive to rebuild his strength. :)

yup.

so....do we hold our breath every time Robert takes off this season? or do we just go with the football flow? it *ucks worrying about whether a key player is going to risk injury on every snap - takes away from the fun of watching the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.