• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's the next shoe to drop?

What's the next shoe to drop?

• New owner is announced

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Ron Rivera resigns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ron Rivera is fired

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Turner is fired

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
shoedrop.png

Lots of potential change in the works in Washington. Which major change happens first?

Last edited:
The last several days have felt like there is a change coming with the offensive coaching staff.

I think Ron and whoever he decides to keep stay on until whoever buys the team decides to let them go but with the lack of performance on offense, the lack of adjustment to personnel, and the bitching by players that have surfaced, I'll be surprised if Ron keeps Scott regardless of any other changes.

I think that happens this week.

The only way it doesn't happen is if Ron is told from above that he can't fire anyone because Snyder doesn't want to pay them out.

I agree that it *feels* like Turner might be dead man walking, but I also think a combination of factors may make Rivera hesitant to pull the trigger.

1. Rivera is old school loyal to a fault.
2. Rivera may feel they are all 'dead men walking' and decide the personal pain isn't worth it when they are all likely gone in 2024.
3. Rivera doesn't believe Turner is really a problem and blames the offensive woes on the lack of a top QB.

I don't see any changes at all, unfortunately, but with a pending sale who the hell wants to come in and be an O. Coordinator or HC pretty much assured that once there's new ownership they won't have a job. I think we're more likely to see an ownership change prior to camp, after the draft and the new ownership rolls with Ron and Co. in a lame duck season.

If Rivera fires Turner (I don’t believe he will) the only thing that makes sense considering the circumstances is a promotion from within.

If Rivera fires Turner (I don’t believe he will) the only thing that makes sense considering the circumstances is a promotion from within.
Agreed. I think if Turner were to go, Zampese would get the OC position.

Turner is obviously the guys whose seat should be hottest if Rivera decides to shuffle the deck among the coaching ranks. However, on a smaller scale, we cannot discount the possibility of relieving some other coaches of their duties such as Juan Castillo and even John Matsko. Our TE group was arguably one of our most disappointing position groups in 2023, falling well short of expectations. We missed Pete Hoener dearly this year. Granted, injuries played a role in that, but nobody was able to contribute much at all in the pass game.

As far as Matsko goes, there was a time when I used to preach about his ability to turn water into wine along the offensive line. This past season, not so much. We as a fan base assumed based on the solid job he did the last two years that he could just plug anybody in along the o-line and make things hum. In letting go of guys like Flowers and Scherff, I think Rivera got suckered into that line of thinking too. Where is the development of Charles or Paul? As for vets like Leno, Norwell, and Turner, there seemed to be regression on their part this year while under the watch of Matsko. Hey, everybody has a bad year from time to time, but 2022 was an awful look up front, and may start to bring into question if Matsko can lead a group of players absent of any All Pros like he had the benefit of working with while in Carolina and most recently with Scherff.

Agreed. I think if Turner were to go, Zampese would get the OC position.

Well - he's been an OC for 2 years in Cincy previously and it wasn't pretty. Then there's Jim Hostler who was an OC for a single season in San Fran and finished dead last in yards and points...lol. So maybe going in house isn't such a great idea...

I really don't think they have a choice but to keep Turner. A lot of folks are of the mindset 'well it can't get any worse'. Trust me - it can ALWAYS get worse.

Not to suggest Turner doesn’t deserve to be sent packing but it may have to wait until a new owner and GM are in place.

Last edited:
As far as Matsko goes, there was a time when I used to preach about his ability to turn water into wine along the offensive line. This past season, not so much. We as a fan base assumed based on the solid job he did the last two years that he could just plug anybody in along the o-line and make things hum. In letting go of guys like Flowers and Scherff, I think Rivera got suckered into that line of thinking too. Where is the development of Charles or Paul? As for vets like Leno, Norwell, and Turner, there seemed to be regression on their part this year while under the watch of Matsko. Hey, everybody has a bad year from time to time, but 2022 was an awful look up front, and may start to bring into question if Matsko can lead a group of players absent of any All Pros like he had the benefit of working with while in Carolina and most recently with Scherff.

I'd like to know how much input Matsko had in who to let go and who to bring in. Unless I know that, I'm giving him a mulligan for 2022 based on his exemplary work previously.

Didn't know that about Zampese, Boone. Even so, I might be willing to give him a shot for a year. Sometimes a guy has to fail in the big chair before he can succeed. Granted, some guys are just failures no matter how many chances they get.

What a crap shoot.

I think the press conference showed that Ron Rivera's departure from DC will be the LAST thing on that list to happen.

He is going to sit there and continue to pick up a paycheck during the due diligence and purchase period and is going to look to milk his job through 2023 to pick up another $5 or $6M for his trouble.

A young, talented coach who is simply fed up with Snyder might quit to be able to take a job somewhere else.

But Rivera is 60 years old and was fired from his last job by a new owner in Carolina.

He knows he is now in Round 15 of a prize fight, he has managed to stay upright and is going to hang on until the final bell.

Or until someone throws his ass out of the ring :)

This has been one of the most quiet sales I have seen go down.

There were rumors about who was buying the Broncos and there wasn't a lot of head-faking when it came to Carolina a couple of years ago.

But I haven't heard anything of note in weeks.

There have been a couple of rumors that it’s going to be Bezos. I think some of the ‘quiet’ is because most assume that’s who it will be.

I read a report earlier today that Matt Ishbia has dropped out after winning the bid for the Phoenix Suns. The Suns will cost him $4 Billion so I'm guessing that another $7 Billion for the Commanders might be a bit much.

i came here voted, then saw the thread, lol I knew Turner had to go or Rivera was gone. the sad truth is that the offence should have been far better than it was, but so should the defence. with defence its simple, you can cover a lot with aggression thats why Gregg did so well here for a while, but when he tried to get fancy instead of aggressive he and his follow up guy both failed. you have to coach the players you have

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.