• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What Position Do the Redskins Draft at #34?

What Position Do the Redskins Draft at #34?

• It's the Defense Dummy! DB

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Save Robert! OL

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • Crush! Kill! Destroy! Passrush! DL

• London Calling...LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ball Catcher Bonanza. WR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's the Talent Stoopid! BPA

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Commitment to Excellence! BKA (best kicker available)

• More Picks Please! Skins Trade Down

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
bpa, as long as that player is an Olineman. and then we need to use every single damn pick on Olinemen because out of all the picks we should be able to hit on at least 2 and then we can build our damn oline, im not worried about winning in the next 2 years but I do NOT want the player we spent 3 firsts on to get hit anymore than he has to while we build a contender

bpa, as long as that player is an Olineman. and then we need to use every single damn pick on Olinemen because out of all the picks we should be able to hit on at least 2 and then we can build our damn oline, im not worried about winning in the next 2 years but I do NOT want the player we spent 3 firsts on to get hit anymore than he has to while we build a contender

Ry, I certainly can't fault you or anyone else for wanting our FO to draft OL early and often, especially when you use logic. :smile2: Personally, I just don't think we grab one at #34. Unless we trade down and garner more picks, I really think our 2nd rounder will be a Defensive player. I could see a RT and G being taken somewhere between the 3rd through 5th rounds or perhaps even just one guy who we think can play both, like Mewhort or Schofield. I would, however, be surprised if we grabbed more than two.

A-freakin-men...preach it Ryman!

Ry, I certainly can't fault you or anyone else for wanting our FO to draft OL early and often, especially when you use logic. :smile2: Personally, I just don't think we grab one at #34. Unless we trade down and garner more picks, I really think our 2nd rounder will be a Defensive player. I could see a RT and G being taken somewhere between the 3rd through 5th rounds or perhaps even just one guy who we think can play both, like Mewhort or Schofield. I would, however, be surprised if we grabbed more than two.

sadly I think you are correct but im really advocating the shotgun draft for Oline because we should hit on at least one and likely 2 which would vastly improve this Oline, if by some miracle we hit on 3-4 out of 6 picks, I would be ecstatic. so would rg3 I imagine, and then next year go hard on defence.

sadly I think you are correct but im really advocating the shotgun draft for Oline because we should hit on at least one and likely 2 which would vastly improve this Oline, if by some miracle we hit on 3-4 out of 6 picks, I would be ecstatic. so would rg3 I imagine, and then next year go hard on defence.

Ry....

so why the change in emphasis? for years you have focused on how the defense is not populated with the right kind of skills/talent. I get the keep robert standing part of it. just interested in the mindset change. some thoughts:

- does Gruden's offense require 5 secs passpro routinely?

- what is the breakout in his offense between run and pass?

- what did he mean early on when he stated he thought the o-line wasn't nearly as bad as some claim?

- where is the greatest gain: o-line or Robert developing better read and react skills?

- will the change in scheme itself reduce the exposure of Robert?

also...what do you think is the real philosophy out at Ashburn? 2-3 year restock or win now? framed in context of 2012 season :)

For those who enjoy stats and advanced analytics (and maybe don't watch the games) I present-

Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF 2h
The top pass protecting O-lines statistically in 2013 show a real mix of QB influences: pic.twitter.com/keHJBs0kip

Somewhat deceptive seeing as we had the 2nd most hurries... meaning Griff was able to evade at times... we had the highest 'Total Pressure Allowed' on that list.

Somewhat deceptive seeing as we had the 2nd most hurries... meaning Griff was able to evade at times... we had the highest 'Total Pressure Allowed' on that list.

nice post!

not sure this tells me much though. aside from not seeing what weights play into the PBE calculation.....one would think other factors matter. for example, type of offense, percentage of long versus short passing plays (somewhat correlated to type of offense), years o-line in tact with same personnel, etc.

on second thought...not bad for a simple descriptive set of stats. just not good for explanation.

don't forget....many times Griff simply took off early. hurry or reflex?

nice post!

not sure this tells me much though. aside from not seeing what weights play into the PBE calculation.....one would think other factors matter. for example, type of offense, percentage of long versus short passing plays (somewhat correlated to type of offense), years o-line in tact with same personnel, etc.

on second thought...not bad for a simple descriptive set of stats. just not good for explanation.

don't forget....many times Griff simply took off early. hurry or reflex?

little bit of both. You get hurried enough times, you get happy feet.

If the QB leaves early (by his own volition), it isn't counted as a hurry.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Ry....

so why the change in emphasis? for years you have focused on how the defense is not populated with the right kind of skills/talent. I get the keep robert standing part of it. just interested in the mindset change. some thoughts:

- does Gruden's offense require 5 secs passpro routinely?

- what is the breakout in his offense between run and pass?

- what did he mean early on when he stated he thought the o-line wasn't nearly as bad as some claim?

- where is the greatest gain: o-line or Robert developing better read and react skills?

- will the change in scheme itself reduce the exposure of Robert?

also...what do you think is the real philosophy out at Ashburn? 2-3 year restock or win now? framed in context of 2012 season :)

There is no change in emphasis, there is a huge change in circumstance, the defence still sucks, is still manned by players playing out of position and is unlikely to improve very much. BUT now we have a player who cost us 3 first round picks playing a position that is dependant on Olinemen keeping him clean and giving him time as well as solid runblocking to take some pressure off, so its now about maximising the return on those resources that have now been spent. had we not drafted RG3 I would be advocating defence all the way.

Grudens offence will work as long as RG3 isnt throwing off his back foot and playing scared, which is what we were seeing a lot last year, a solid oline changes that. a good oline made trent dilfer look good.

im not sure how he will roll here.

every coach brags up his guys, it takes the pressure off.

I believe robert will develop those skills if he isnt getting hit on every play.

actually im worried because the old scheme was well suited for rg3, this new one less so

I think after the draft ill know what the plan is

We're about to win often. And it's not going to take two years.

What scheme are you referring to Ryman - I don't think most fans can claim to know much about what kind of scheme Gruden plans on running. Anything anyone believes at this point is just a guess.

This draft is deep in line talent. As in 1999 with Jansen the Redskins should be able to find a starter at RT early in Round 2.

With the moves to acquire Jason Hatcher, DeSean Jackson and Andre Roberts and sign Orakpo to the franchise tender, OT seems to be the one position of need where the team has made no moves of note.

According to Charlie Casserly...
Based on a 10-year study that I conducted, any second-round pick has a 50-50 chance of just developing into a starter within four years.
Keenan Allen, Kiko Alonso among best picks of 2013 NFL Draft - NFL.com

So, #34 has a 50-50 chance of becoming a starter, within 4 years. Which means the success/failure rate is even. My guess is, Charlie's study included all teams. So, it would seem, that unless the guy you want is available at 34, and coveted by other teams as well, trading back for more picks in the 2nd, has a statistical edge of success, over picking at 34.

The draft was, is, and always will be, a craps-shoot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.