• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What Gruden Doesn’t Understand About AP

I know it's easy, and convenient, to keep bashing Snyder and Allen for every wrong in the world. I know many say we'll never win until all 3 are gone.

Well, Poppycock!

This is a playoff capable team. Lacking only a coaching staff that's more talented than the roster.

A coaching staff picked by Allen and Snyder and stuck with repeatedly.

I'm leaving the door open to the possibility Gruden stops the bleeding and gets this team somehow, some way, to the playoffs.

But if he doesn't and we have to start over again, for the gazillionth time during the Snyder era - it's absolutely due to the ineptitude of those two individuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the patience shown with Gruden might not pay off, for Gruden. Though, like you, I'm still hoping it does. But the chain of a new coach every other has been broken.

Baby steps, brother.

Gruden is still here in part because of the over cozy relationship Bruce Allen has with Jon Gruden.

So, I don't believe that Gruden's tenure is evidence of stability but rather advanced nepotism.

To me Allen is afraid to fire Gruden for fear another coach will come in and gain Snyder's ear and then Bruce is potentially on shaky ground.

Gruden for his part will show general frustrations at times but there has never been any rumors of a split with Allen or evidence they are adversaries.

More ammunition to believe this is all planned out.

Gruden has been around to become very rich over 6 lackluster seasons and will in all likelihood leave to go to the Raiders and be the OC there.

Meanwhile Allen has had an unchallenged run of 6 years at the top since Shanahan left to exercise power and line his own pockets with some nice coin.

Someone ran the numbers for the Skins yesterday in terms of how many first half's they've ‘won' during the Gruden era vs. second half's...

I didn't catch the first half % but his overall winning % is around 44% while we've only won something like 34% of 2nd half's.

So it's not our imagination :)
I was curious about this, so I checked the football database to see.

Under Gruden, we've won the first half 33 times, and the second half 27 times. But an interesting thing I learned during the course of this, is when we win either half by a very lopsided margin, we have a better season.

In 2015 we were 9-7 while winning the first half 11 times, and the second half only 4 times.

in 2016 we were 8-7-1 while winning the first half 4 times and the second half 10 times.

The other seasons, it has been close to 50/50, and our record has been in the shitter those seasons. So apparently if we spend an entire season dominating one particular half, we win.

Last season we won 6 times in each half, just for reference.

edit: Upon further review, here's something interesting....

In Gruden's career here, his win percentage when winning only the first half is .571

When winning only the second half, it's .765

Last edited:
In Gruden's case I think the telling stat is his record vs the NFC East.

This team has been poor against their division rivals and painfully so at home on several occasions.

The Redskins have lost 5 in a row to the Eagles and have consistently had trouble trying to win games against the no account Giants who have finished at the bottom the last couple of years.

We won that first game against Dallas last year 20-17 but have had problems there as well even during years Dallas didn't field especially good squads.

And if you want to look at home record overall and wins in prime time games not only don't the Redskins win but they often get embarrassed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.