• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What are your Hobbies??

I like sex, personally.

In lieu of that, I love reading, and go through a novel or two a week during lunch. Alternatively, I will sift through fascinating (to me) topics such as water usage and the proliferation of Evangelicals in America over the course of a couple of weeks, depending on my moods.

Aside from that, I love to play Mario Kart with the kids. As Larissa, our oldest, has aged, it has become more difficult to connect with her, so we play Mario Kart together, and watch a few TV shows (Modern Family and Nashville - stop judging me!) with her and her sister.

And this is going to sound unbelievably cheesy, I apologize in advance, but I really enjoy spending time with my wife. We can be watching TV, talking over a glass of wine, whatever. I am happiest when with her.

Which reminds me, we also very much enjoy VA wine. We live in the wine country outside of Charlottesville, and we love to go on tastings, and enjoy a bottle and some cheese on the various verandas enjoying the views.
It's NC not VA, but have you ever tried Duplin wine? They make some of theirs from scuppernong grapes, and it has a distinctly different and delicious taste. Most stores around here carry it.....

Duplin%20Winery%20Silver.jpg

I like sex, personally.

And this is going to sound unbelievably cheesy, I apologize in advance, but I really enjoy spending time with my wife. We can be watching TV, talking over a glass of wine, whatever. I am happiest when with her.

Not cheesy at all!!!! I absolutely love my wife. Enjoy it!! I have a few friends and they all complain about their significant others often, but not me. I brag. In fact, if I were to complain, I would feel completely guilty because she is so awesome. I couldn't be happier.

In fact, if I lost her for some reason or another, I don't think I would look for a replacement. They couldn't live up to the standards. :)

Hobby's huh...?

I have a long list of stuff I enjoy doing and an even longer list of stuff I think I would enjoy doing if I could get the time.

The list of current activities includes homebrewing, photography, working out, reading and haunting.

Homebrewing - I've been doing this now for 4 years (did my first batch the day after Thanksgiving in 2008). I do mostly ales because they are easier from an equipment point of view here in Texas. In 4 years I have something like 15 totally different beers but probably twice that many batches as I have a couple of favorites that I try never to run out of. I've even given my "brewery" a name, Two Penny Brewing.

Photography - This I got into back in college when I got my first 35mm camera. My last couple of years there I made beer money shooting for the school year book. I got away from it after I married my wife due to financial issues (hey, film and processing can be expensive) although I still shot on vacations. In 2005 my wife coordinated my friends and family in the effort to give me my first DSLR (a Minolta 7D). Since that point I have added numerous lenses, two more bodies and a full studio setup to my equipment inventory (some people wonder if my hobby is more about the gear). I maintain a gallery of my work online here.

Work Out - this is an on again off again hobby, usually tied to my physical well being. Having passed 40 a number of years ago and gotten sick of being out of shape, I started trying to work out again regularly. I have gotten into programs like P90X and Insanity, both of which I really enjoy. Sadly, I have been off this hobby since June, when I sustained a shoulder injury that I am still fighting.

Reading - this might best be described as an addiction. As the child of two serious readers, I come by this one honestly and started very early in life. I currently enjoy reading Science Fiction, Fantasy, History and informational books about my hobbies and work. A few years ago I joined the e-reader generation when I got my first Kindle and now I am hardly ever without it anywhere.

Haunting - I am a partner in a haunted house attraction and while this makes some money, it is really more of a hobby that swallows much of my time from mid July through mid November.

Stuff I want to do but just don't have time for right now include carpentry, auto restoration,computer programming and learning both guitar and piano.
Nice list! I was taken aback at first by "Haunting!" LOL, then I read more.

Not cheesy at all!!!! I absolutely love my wife. Enjoy it!! I have a few friends and they all complain about their significant others often, but not me. I brag. In fact, if I were to complain, I would feel completely guilty because she is so awesome. I couldn't be happier.

In fact, if I lost her for some reason or another, I don't think I would look for a replacement. They couldn't live up to the standards. :)

Its cool to know that other guys feel the same about their wives as I do!

Stand in line. Boone already has a thing for her. And she enjoys laughing at him, so I guess it all works out.

I enjoy flying. I have my own twin engine airplane. There are amazing places to fly to that do not take alot of time to get there. Also, flying to Catalina Island is a thrill, not to mention the buffalo burgers.

I hate flying, scares me to death. I had a pilot one time ask me what about it frightened me. I told him gravity.

RE: watching TV with the gf; maybe cheesy but who cares? :)

The only part that sucks about it is that she doesn't watch Walking Dead or Sons of Anarchy, so I have to fit those in at other times. Oh well, incredibly small price to pay. :)

I enjoy flying. I have my own twin engine airplane. There are amazing places to fly to that do not take alot of time to get there. Also, flying to Catalina Island is a thrill, not to mention the buffalo burgers.

What a great hobby! Its something that has always interested yet scared me. Sadly, a good friend of mine from my childhood dies in a small plane crash. Even with that fear, it just seems like a great thing to get into.

How costly are twin engine planes?

Great thread ...

My wife makes fun of me as she says I don't have hobbies, I have obsessions...That may have played into the naming of this site btw :)

I do love to write, not claiming any particular aptitude on that front, but I'm pretty proud of some of the stuff I've produced for my personal blog. I actually believe I could get published if I ever had a really inspired idea for a novel. Someday I'd like to take a crack at that.

I used to be a big time gardener. I grew 90% of the plants in my yard and used to grow a serious vegetable garden, but I've let a series of high stress jobs take me away from that. I'm changing jobs in a month, and going to try to get back to some of the things I love, particularly gardening.

I homebrew as well as most of you know. Gotten away from that as well over the past year, although have a batch of Chocolate Stout brewing as we speak and plan to make a holiday red ale this weekend.

I love cycling and physical fitness. I used to be a big-time runner and roadracer but got sidelined with a major nerve disorder in my early 30's (they didn't even have a name for it back then) and lost some of the innervation to my diaphragm, so I really struggle trying to run since then, but am able to do some pretty hard core cycling. My brother and I ride together a lot and he's my best bud so that's a really positive part of my life.

I cook every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night, Extreme and I share that love. My wife is not, unfortunately, a 'foodie', so sometimes I'm my own biggest fan on that front, although my kids like it when I cook :)

I also play around with the piano and guitar, self taught.

And of course, helping keep a couple of websites going might be considered a major hobby. I have learned a lot about the technical side of webmastering over the years and I'm proud that many of the modifications and hacks that add something special to this place, I either helped create or found and installed. Between Om and myself, it's amazing what we've been able to do with absolutely no tech experience between the two of us.

I would say, if there are people who live to work, and folks who work to live, I am definitely in the latter group. It is my hobbies and non-work interests that keep me going in life.

Great thread ...

My wife makes fun of me as she says I don't have hobbies, I have obsessions...That may have played into the naming of this site btw :)

I do love to write, not claiming any particular aptitude on that front, but I'm pretty proud of some of the stuff I've produced for my personal blog. I actually believe I could get published if I ever had a really inspired idea for a novel. Someday I'd like to take a crack at that.

I used to be a big time gardener. I grew 90% of the plants in my yard and used to grow a serious vegetable garden, but I've let a series of high stress jobs take me away from that. I'm changing jobs in a month, and going to try to get back to some of the things I love, particularly gardening.

I homebrew as well as most of you know. Gotten away from that as well over the past year, although have a batch of Chocolate Stout brewing as we speak and plan to make a holiday red ale this weekend.

I love cycling and physical fitness. I used to be a big-time runner and roadracer but got sidelined with a major nerve disorder in my early 30's (they didn't even have a name for it back then) and lost some of the innervation to my diaphragm, so I really struggle trying to run since then, but am able to do some pretty hard core cycling. My brother and I ride together a lot and he's my best bud so that's a really positive part of my life.

I cook every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night, Extreme and I share that love. My wife is not, unfortunately, a 'foodie', so sometimes I'm my own biggest fan on that front, although my kids like it when I cook :)

I also play around with the piano and guitar, self taught.

And of course, helping keep a couple of websites going might be considered a major hobby. I have learned a lot about the technical side of webmastering over the years and I'm proud that many of the modifications and hacks that add something special to this place, I either helped create or found and installed. Between Om and myself, it's amazing what we've been able to do with absolutely no tech experience between the two of us.

I would say, if there are people who live to work, and folks who work to live, I am definitely in the latter group. It is my hobbies and non-work interests that keep me going in life.

Its kind of cool that there seem to be so many with overlapping interests beyond the skins here. I think its a testament to the allure of the site in my opinion.

Lots of great food and Beer from this group I think!!

My wife makes fun of me as she says I don't have hobbies, I have obsessions
Ah yes, I know what you mean. My wife asks me all the time why I can't just like something like normal, and why do I have to go to the maximum level with everything I enjoy? Character flaw I guess :laugh:

Awesome pics ST...:cheers:

What a great hobby! Its something that has always interested yet scared me. Sadly, a good friend of mine from my childhood dies in a small plane crash. Even with that fear, it just seems like a great thing to get into.

How costly are twin engine planes?

This is a difficult question to answer because of the choices that are availale. Most folks by a used airplane since the new ones start arond $800K or so. Turboprop - used are around $1 million and go up from there.

I have a Sence II manufactured in 1975. I actually paid $40,000 but it was in Japan. I have it flown back to California. Depending on paint, interior, the hours on the engines and props and the instrumentation, you can pick one up for $100,000 to $175,000.

I found the purchase of the airplane is the least of the expenses. For example, in 2007 I had both of my turbocharged engines overhaul, new magnetos (there are 2 per engine), overhaul the props - both engines, new exhaust and new baffles. The cost? $96,000. The cost of the overhaul engines alone were around $52,000. BTW - I got a loan to pay for it.

There are many single engine airplanse available and you can always partner with someone to purchase the plane.

I know that there are some are hestiate to go flying because someoen they knew was killed in a plane crash. It is too bad; however, you simply cannot let that get in the away from reaching your dreams. By all means, give it a try. Just go to a local airport, visit a flying school and ask for a demonstration flight. You will need to find out about the cost for the flight.

I do not know your age, however, there is now a pilot shortage. There are simply too few folks wanting to learn how to fly.

It is a wonderful experience. I get just excited about a flight today as I did when I started to learn to fly in 1969.

BTW - the chicks like to go flying.

If you ever get to Orange County, California, let me know. I would be more than happy to take you up. We could fly to Catalina Island for a buffalo burger.

Clip for brevity...

I do not know your age, however, there is now a pilot shortage. There are simply too few folks wanting to learn how to fly.

It is a wonderful experience. I get just excited about a flight today as I did when I started to learn to fly in 1969.

BTW - the chicks like to go flying.

If you ever get to Orange County, California, let me know. I would be more than happy to take you up. We could fly to Catalina Island for a buffalo burger.

I will take you up on that someday! It really sounds incredible as a hobby (albeit a bit too pricey for my current budget).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.