• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What Are We Learning About Griffin?

Bob sure looks like the real deal. I think that's far more important than a win or loss today. If we've got a true Franchise QB, the wins will come.

I thought this was going to be a season of looking for flashes. I think so far we're seeing an inferno. :)

And that GSF is in a nutshell why Smith needs to go. The problems with ST stretch back for some time and with the turnover in today's NFL you have to be able to get guys acclimated quickly and ultimately hold them responsible when you see some of the same mistakes being made.

Over time I just don't see any improvements in the ST.

Smith has actually gone to bat for some of the guys that have made the errors in the blocking assignments like Chris Wilson.

If you are keeping a 31 year old player around as a backup it is often for his work on teams.

We gave up Markus White, 23, to keep guys like Wilson and if they can't execute those 5-6 reps they are on the field, despite repetition, then its both a personnel issue and a teaching issue.

Both of which lead back to Smith.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

It's amazing how deep loyalties run on an NFL coaching staff. Both Danny Smith and Haslett have given fans tons of reason to question whether or not they deserve to retain their jobs. But I'll bet there's almost zero chance either guys jobs are in jeopardy. I think it may have a lot to do with the fact that there is so much pressure to win and such a short (probably unreasonably short) window of opportunity to be successful for NFL coaches, that coaches are highly protective of each other. I also think that this is why a lot of coordinator changes seemingly occur only when an owner or GM gets involved.

I think we place too much emphasis on scheme and factors coaches can control, and not enough on other factors, like on-the-field talent they have to work with, strength of the opposition, and at times, luck (of the good or bad variety). Coaches, like QBs, get too much credit for success, and too much blame for failure. But that's the nature of the game.

I really don't know if Haslett will ultimately be successful. I do agree that we can't continue to have the kind of ST play we've seen for awhile now without a coaching change being called for. I'm not quite as far along on our DC, but I know others disagree.

And that GSF is in a nutshell why Smith needs to go. The problems with ST stretch back for some time and with the turnover in today's NFL you have to be able to get guys acclimated quickly and ultimately hold them responsible when you see some of the same mistakes being made.

Over time I just don't see any improvements in the ST.

Smith has actually gone to bat for some of the guys that have made the errors in the blocking assignments like Chris Wilson.

If you are keeping a 31 year old player around as a backup it is often for his work on teams.

We gave up Markus White, 23, to keep guys like Wilson and if they can't execute those 5-6 reps they are on the field, despite repetition, then its both a personnel issue and a teaching issue.

Both of which lead back to Smith.

I agree with you 100% about Smith. I'm actually surprised he's made it this long with his record last year.

What about Haslett though? What is his excuse? Just when he looks to be really getting the defense together he has 1 of these games. Our safeties can't play zone to save their lives, and Haslet sits the D back in zone and lets Bradford shred him. Makes no sense...

i'm not saying Haslett should be fired Boone, but it's just hard to understand how the defense looked like they didn't even game plan for this game.

It's amazing how deep loyalties run on an NFL coaching staff. Both Danny Smith and Haslett have given fans tons of reason to question whether or not they deserve to retain their jobs. But I'll bet there's almost zero chance either guys jobs are in jeopardy. I think it may have a lot to do with the fact that there is so much pressure to win and such a short (probably unreasonably short) window of opportunity to be successful for NFL coaches, that coaches are highly protective of each other. I also think that this is why a lot of coordinator changes seemingly occur only when an owner or GM gets involved.

I think we place too much emphasis on scheme and factors coaches can control, and not enough on other factors, like on-the-field talent they have to work with, strength of the opposition, and at times, luck (of the good or bad variety). Coaches, like QBs, get too much credit for success, and too much blame for failure. But that's the nature of the game.

I really don't know if Haslett will ultimately be successful. I do agree that we can't continue to have the kind of ST play we've seen for awhile now without a coaching change being called for. I'm not quite as far along on our DC, but I know others disagree.

Good teams have ST units that make the difference in one or two games a year. Make a positive difference I guess I should add. Danny's unit directly contributed to us losing yesterday. After doing the same thing last week. Remember how we all felt with Gano lining up a kick? I now feel the same way when we punt. Which sucks.

What about Haslett though? What is his excuse? Just when he looks to be really getting the defense together he has 1 of these games. Our safeties can't play zone to save their lives, and Haslet sits the D back in zone and lets Bradford shred him. Makes no sense...

our secondary is decimated.
this was a huge issues going into the season. playing well against a saints team, that so far has sucked terribly this year, doesn't change that.

the best CB we have got a mild concussion yesterday chasing down a guy everyone else on the team just waved at as he passed.

Good teams have ST units that make the difference in one or two games a year. Make a positive difference I guess I should add. Danny's unit directly contributed to us losing yesterday. After doing the same thing last week. Remember how we all felt with Gano lining up a kick? I now feel the same way when we punt. Which sucks.

Agree. And that's pathetic. One thing you should be able to count on is the ability to get a punt off safely. It's maddening.

I agree with you 100% about Smith. I'm actually surprised he's made it this long with his record last year.

Funny, I was going to say the opposite. :)

I don't know enough about schemes and the player abilities to be too critical of Haslett. It seemed to me that when he switched to man coverage in the second half the Rams started throwing swing passes to their back and we got shredded anyway. It may be with Rak and Carriker and Wilson all out we just don't have the depth to counter a team with a QB who's strengths just happens to be perfectly suited to take advantage of our weaknesses ... or whatever. I don't really know.

What I DO know is that there is no excuse for allowing two blocked punts in two straight games. Punt blocking is pretty basic stuff, isn't it? How can such breakdowns NOT be coaching? Even to my layman's eye I can't see how Smith isn't in the doghouse for this.

I don't know. Maybe he is. But if I were going to fire anyone two weeks into the season, it would be the ST coach.

Keim's take on Danny:

4.Man, a lot of angry topics tonight. This one: special teams. Nobody draws more negative tweets on the coaching staff than Danny Smith. It’s the nature of the position; if there’s a hold on offense no one calls for Kyle Shanahan’s job. But with so few plays on special teams in comparison, perfection is demanded. I get it. Smith has a good reputation around the league and has been sought after by other teams. All that being said, he deserves whatever heat comes his way right now because his unit has allowed two punts to be blocked after a season in which five field goals were blocked. Each one is explainable, but this is a bottom line business and the bottom line is that this keeps happening. Based on how the roster is put together I’m not sure how much consideration is truly given to special teams – look at how many receivers don’t play it, for example. That’s how you have DeAngelo Hall 'volunteering’ for special teams. Yeah, that deserves quote marks. But that’s not to absolve Smith. This is his unit and he’s paid a lot of money to make it work. By the way, on the punt block, Perry Riley appeared to be the guilty party. Last week it was backup linebacker Chris Wilson who made the mistake. That’s the troubling part, it keeps happening to different players.
5.I’ve never seen a returner get up and slap the ball, as if he were thiiiis close to breaking a long return as Brandon Banks. I admire his confidence but man. It’s almost every time. Need to ask him about this; it’s not a criticism but it is something that’s noticeable. Oh, and you know a game will turn on one of his fumbles, right? It’s happening too much anymore.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/rams-31-redskins-28-ten-observations/article/2508197#.UFa7xMUz_1U

Well, Smith may not be responsible for any one gaffe, but the fact remains he has been in charge of units that have consistently failed to perform over several seasons.

Last year it was FGs. Now, its punt protection. In 2010 it was having the worst FG kicker (Gano) in terms of accuracy in the NFC.

When have the REDSKINS blocked punts or FGs?

Where are our special teams contributions in these areas?

Smith says he has backed his players so it may come down to an inability of the coach to pick the right guys to take consistency from the practice field to the field on Sundays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.