• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WFT Quotes 8/14/20: Thomas Davis, Reuben Foster

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
August 14, 2020

LB Thomas Davis Sr.

On working with a new team and linebacker corps:
“It’s been fun. It’s been a great opportunity for us to come together as a group and just really get to know one another’s personality and see how we can fit within the scheme of this defense and just go out and compete hard.”

On if working with Head Coach Ron Rivera was the biggest factor in his decision to come to Washington:

“That’s one of the biggest factors. You have some other teams that are interested, and you just try to weigh your options. Being able to come back on the east coast and being able to reconnect with Coach Rivera, [linebackers coach Steve] Russ, and all of the guys that I know on this staff, it was definitely something that I wanted to be a part of. I wanted to be a part of a group that came here and really changed the culture of what’s been going on in Washington.”

On playing within a new culture:

“Whenever anything is new, you have a core group of guys that have been here, that have been within one system for a long time, you’re going to always face challenges trying to get guys to buy in. That’s one thing Coach Rivera has been really good on all the different levels that he’s been on and the different teams he’s gotten guys to buy in. I don’t see it being any different here. I’m just here to help that process in any way that I can.”

On LB Reuben Foster:

“Reuben is a physical specimen. I was telling somebody the other day you have people who are born to play a position. When you look at Reuben, he’s one of those guys. I feel like he was born to play the linebacker spot. Just seeing him make progress each and every day has truly been special. As a guy who has his own rehab story, to see Reuben being able to do the things he’s doing day in and day out, I’m extremely impressed and I’m excited for him.”

On quarantine during the offseason:

“The hardest part is really not having that structure that you’re so used to and so accustomed to. At certain points, like in April, you get back with the team and you start working out and you transition into OTAs and Mini Camp and that whole process. Not having that structure, it was tough. It was different. It was something in the COVID world that we’re all dealing with, we just had to get used to it.”

On differences between Rivera’s approach in Carolina and Washington:

“You can’t approach every situation the same. Obviously, that was Carolina, and we’re in Washington right here now. Each step, each phase has its different challenges. Coach Rivera is a guy—he knows how to attack those challenges. He understands that this is a much different dynamic in the world that we’re in right know. When you’re dealing with COVID, you have to worry about making sure guys are doing what they’re supposed to do when it comes to COVID, while also being able to establish the culture and the things that he likes to do from a coaching standpoint defensively, offensively and on special teams. Right now more so than ever it takes veteran leaders to step up and help that process along the way, and I feel like when you look across the board, across this team, we have a core group of guys that are capable of helping Coach get that done. I just want to be one of those guys.”

On Rivera leaning on veteran players:

“He’s always been a coach that listens. He listens to voices, he listens to veteran guys. Being a guy that played the game, he understands what players are going through during different stages of the game and throughout the process of the season. So, he understands and he gets it so he listens to his players. So far, I’ve seen him do that as well here.”

On LB Kevin Pierre-Louis:

“He’s extremely explosive. He’s fast, he’s physical. He has all of the qualities, all of the tools. He’s a guy that I could see in this defense making a ton of plays and I’m excited to see K.P.L work. He’s extremely humble. He’s a guy who comes in every day, does his job. He’s not afraid to ask questions and he’s going to be a great piece for this defense.”

On QB Dwayne Haskins:

“I’ve only had an opportunity really to be around him in the workout phase. Being able to be around him and get to know him, he has an infectious personality. I think he’s a guy that can definitely lead a team. I’m excited to have him at the helm right now. We haven’t had an opportunity to compete against one another because we’re still in the first phase of this thing. Next week when we’re able to get together I’ll have a really better assessment of what he’s capable of doing. So far, I can definitely say he’s done everything that’s been asked of him.”

On his leadership style:
“I was fortunate enough when I got to the Carolina Panthers when I was drafted, I had a ton of veteran leadership around me. I kind of watched how those guys maneuver, how they carry themselves. As the years go on, you just learn how you want to lead. I don’t want to be one of those people that’s always coming in and talking to people and telling them, ‘Hey you need to do this, you need to do that,’ when I’m not willing to do those things on my own. You take that approach of leading by example, not being afraid to step up and talk and speak when something needs to be said or just going in and doing your job day in and day out. I think guys tend to follow people that are consistent in this league or this game and that’s something that I’ve tried to be for a long time, try to maintain consistent in my approach.”

On giving Foster advice throughout his rehab:
“I try to talk to Reuben as much as I possibly can. He’s done a tremendous job [Head athletic trainer Ryan Vermillion] and his staff, they’re doing a great job with him. Reuben, he’s excited, man. He’s energetic, he’s up-tempo. He’s always just ready to get back on the field as much as he possibly can when he was that opportunity. I was happy to hear him being taken of PUP and getting that opportunity. He’s just out there working hard and we’re just trying to constantly encourage him to continue to fight, continue to work and just let the chips fall where they may at the end of the day.”

On the shortened offseason affecting tackling:
“I don’t think it’s going to be that big of an issue. If you look at the preseason last year, a lot of teams didn’t play starters in the preseason for whatever reason. They sat their starters down. You didn’t have a really big drop off in tackling. I think once you get to this level, coaches do a great job of coaching how to tackle and the necessary things to do. I think tackling really comes down to a want-to. You’re either going to want to do it or you’re going to not.”

On Rivera’s ability to lead through challenges:

“I think when you look at Coach Rivera, his coaching style is one of the things that really stands out to me. He’s not a coach that sits back and points fingers at his players when things don’t go well. He takes responsibility. He encourages the players to do the same whenever things go wrong and that’s kind of who he is. When you look at him coming over and kind of taking this situation over and everything that has gone on within this organization, I feel like he’s kind of doing something similar in Carolina. When we had the situation with our owner in Carolina, he kind of had to step up and be the face of that and not shy away from it. That’s something I’ve seen him do in this situation and that’s the kind of leader Coach Rivera is. He’s going to always encourage his players to do the right things at all times. He stands behind anything he tells you, so you can respect a guy like that.”

On the release of RB Derrius Guice:

“I think it sends a message not only within this organization and this team, but across the league in how things are going to be done and how things should be done. As players, we’ve got to take responsibility for our actions. We’ve got to understand situations that we can get involved in and that we shouldn’t be involved in ever. That’s one of the things you should take from a situation like that. It’s kind of hard to speak on Guice’s situation because I wasn’t there and I don’t really know him all that well personally, but I just hope that whatever happens in that situation, that everybody involved learned from it.”

On if he considering opting out of the season due to COVID-19:
“There was a lot of thought that went into this whole pandemic thing, but when you look at the way that the NFL and the NFLPA are handling things and making sure that guys are safe with the stuff that we have to do on a daily basis, you become a lot more comfortable as a player. For me, with this potentially being the end of the road for me, it was never a decision or a chance to opt out for me.”

On working with defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio:

“I think just being around Coach Del Rio, being around him, getting to know him, he has a fiery personality. He’s the kind of guy that is all about coming together, continuity on defense and guys doing their jobs day in and day out. Just developing that consistency. When you have a coach like that, as a player you get excited about playing for him because he’s excited about the game and he’s excited about the things that we’re going to be doing as a football team. For me, it’s all about figuring out where I can help best. Wherever the coach has asked me to be, that’s where I want to be. That’s what I want to do. That’s my focus right now. It’s never been about Thomas Davis coming in and being the man. I just want to come in and help this defense succeed as much as possible. Wherever they ask me to do that at, that’s what I’m going to do.”

LB Reuben Foster

On getting back on the field:
“It’s kind of nerve wracking, but I’m just happy to be back on the field with the guys. Blood, sweat and tears and just really playing football again.”

On if he worried his injury was career-ending:
“It still goes through my mind, but I always try to keep a positive mindset and a great direction of focus on what’s ahead of me and in front of me, too. I really don’t try to worry about that. Just know the fight, always fight and keep pushing. That’s all I really can do.”

On his desire to play in Washington after his injury:

“Everything I’ve been through in trying to get back on the field, I just wanted to play football again, something I grew up loving. Something as a little kid – peewee, high school, middle school, all that type of stuff. It’s heartfelt when the field is not an option. Me just explaining myself, it wasn’t enough. But me showing, that was enough. I had to show instead of just saying. My passion speaks for itself on the field, my game play. I just have to show it.”

On playing with some of his old teammates from Alabama:
“They help to keep my sanity. The guys they just help me laugh it through, play it through, keep my focus. [They are] really down to earth, genuine guys – [DE] Ryan [Anderson] and all of them. I can’t name all the players, but just all my guys really. All of my guys, like all of my guys. Even the Washington Football Team. They did a great job of taking the extra precaution with the process and all of that and doing what they needed to do. Once they did that, they just upped me more full on and I really thank them for that.”

On what he focused on his first day returning to practice:
“I was focusing on my leg and focusing on my first day of practice, really. I was happy, I was happy about it. I was focused on my leg and I was like, ‘Dang, am I the same again? Will I ever be the same? Will I ever be that type of caliber guy?’ I’m not going to take it to the point where I’m going to stop my playing, my play style. I’ve just got to get confidence out there.”

On working with the new training staff:

“Both of the training staffs are great, are phenomenal. Of course we’ve got a new training staff, of course, but just working with them I know tricks from both ends. Just working with them, showing them hard work and they’re showing me hard work and dedication and just getting me back on the field.”

On what he learned going through past legal implications:

“I learned a lot. Right now, I’m not even worrying about all of that. It’s in the rear view and I’m going to keep it in the rear view. I’m looking toward the future and try to look onto the bigger things and try to get back onto the field.”

On making healthy changes in his life:

“I learned how to cook and cook healthier for myself, so that’s a plus. Just being myself and staying focused. Just keeping down that road and keeping blinders on and just staying focused.”

On his reputation after leaving San Francisco:

“To know Reuben is to love Reuben, that’s all I have to say. I love myself and I always keep myself happy. That’s all I have to say for that question.”

On being a leader in the locker room:
“I’m kind of rusty right now, as far as trying to be that part and putting myself in everybody’s shoes and trying to be that leader. I’m trying to be vulnerable, I’m trying to be humble and have everybody be that big dog over me, be that leader over me because I’m a person that will listen. I’m a person that will welcome you with open arms.”

On where he can be most effective in this defense:

“I need to work more on certain things that I don’t want to talk about right now because I don’t want opponents to use it against me. But, I’m still a thumper. I’m still a hard hitter. I’ve just got to be confident in my play style and in my plays and everything will come.”

On what he needs to improve on physically:
“Confidence. I won’t be able to do [anything] without confidence. I promise I won’t.”

On being back on the field:
“It’s weird. Of course, I haven’t been in the game for two years. Of course it’s going to be weird. But, I’m always up for a challenge. I’m up for any challenge, any and every challenge. When it comes to football, I’m not taking baby steps. I’m taking big steps when it comes to football. It was weird coming into it.”

On his relationship with Head Coach Ron Rivera:
“I trust him a lot. He’s got my trust and he’s got my dedication. I think he’s a really stand-up guy, a trustworthy guy. A real hard-nose guy, he doesn’t play the game with favoritism. He doesn’t show that, but I like that about him. I’m a guy who’s here to work and loves to work and plays football, and he’s a kind of guy that loves to play football. And he was a linebacker back in the day, so that gives us a connection there, too.”

On Senior Director of Player Development Malcolm Blacken supporting him:
“Blacken took me under his wing. He showed me the way. He showed me stuff I was lacking and helped guide me on certain paths, I wouldn’t say a certain religion. He gave me certain things that I should recommend and I found my way toward with the help of Blacken. Blacken just gives me advice 24/7. As far as [Senior Vice President of Player Development] Doug [Williams] they really [did]. I really appreciate Blacken and everything he did for me.”

On adjusting to advice from the staff:
“It’s taken me some time to learn and get to it. It’s not going to take me a long time to get it. I’m going to be persistent in trying to get it down. I’ve been down for two years, and it’s kind of hard. I’m not saying it’s easy. I only know the pain. Certain people know what I’m going through, too, with the injury. I know I just have to keep going forward and keep pushing.”

On what he has been working toward:
“Just been working hard to get back on the field. Character-wise, just putting my character out there, displaying my character, my personality. Just staying focused and staying sane. That’s it.”

On what allowed him to stay focus throughout the process:
“I don’t really know, but if I have to stay on my own perspective, it’s just going back to what I’m like. I’m comfortable but I’m uncomfortable in that environment. I’m not trying to go back to that. My focus is just so powerful right now. I’m not trying to fall back. I’m trying to step forward. It’s scary when you go back and you see everything going down. It’s scary, really scary.”

On what he has been cooking:
“I’ve been cooking a little salmon, a little rack of ribs, a little rack of lamb. If you want some swordfish, we can get some swordfish in there too if you want it. I’ve been doing a little bit of everything – baking fish, frying fish, baking swordfish. I probably do swordfish about five times throughout the week, and then one day out of the week I probably do a set of meat.”

On if he appreciates the game of football more after his injury:
“I’ve grown a lot, just being humble, vulnerable, understanding for a lot of things of life, real understanding of life. It’s stuff I can’t really explain. I really can’t explain. It’s hard to explain – not saying I can’t explain, it’s just hard to explain. My drive to get back on the field was just insane. I appreciate the game no matter what. I loved the game from the jump. I just know better from the game about healing properly and all of that. Now I see. I know now that I went through this injury and all that, I know I love this game. I’m crazy for this game. I feel like God put me right here and dropped me like this and said, ‘Here’s the football child.’ I love this game. I’ll never take it for granted for a minute.”

On when he will know he’s back to normal:
“I’d say it’s not me as a one-man army, but we’ve got 11 guys then 11 guys after that as backups that are going to come knock some stuff loose. It’s just like, we’re all going to buy in, play our part and form our own end, we’ve got this. Even with me, a bad wheel (laughs), we’ve got this. I promise you. If you just buy in, we’ve got this. I promise you.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.