• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WFT Names Jason Wright Team President

He is right...he got the job because of his qualifications.

it is the media that continue to play his skin color....just like in that clip.

Is there another way of looking at this by chance? The fact that he is black says a lot and shouldn't be silenced for just his qualifications and non-racial experience. I think part of the reason this is an important hire and why he himself has says this is personal, is because he is black. I would be very surprised if he hasn't encountered some form of racism, prejudice, and been around systems that don't always reward the best and brightest - but reward based on lesser merits. I think that positions him to take on the issues of this team in a way that someone who was part of the good old boys club could not. Recall the guy brought in to handle the renaming of the team - everyone says he has worked with Snyder for years and mentioned that his hire was really a nod to nothing is really changing. Some even said that his hire undermines the Julie Donaldson hire potentially.

Sometimes what makes someone great for a situation is their experience - not just on the football field or in corporate america, but in life. I think when he gets the role for all of those reasons, it should be discussed and valued as other teams may look at this and say - yeah, that actually makes sense ... why haven't we looked into this before?

We have to be careful asking to take color out of the conversation. Many of my black friends and colleagues have told me that they actually want color in the conversation - color is there, pretending it isn't can be a disservice or illusion. If we embrace and appreciate color instead of condemn it and hide it, I think there is more reality of seeing the world as it is. Can anyone say that Matt Lefleur or Zak Taylor had more experience to get a shot at a head coaching stint than Eric Bieniemy? Matt has done a great job in Green Bay, but it is always a gamble with a first time HC. When you look at Zac Taylor's resume, I don't know that anything stood out aside from being around Sean McVay and having his name buzzed because of those he's been around. I have no idea of whether or not race plays into any of this - but if you look at Eric's qualifications and who he's been around ... if he were white - is it possible he'd already be leading a struggling team that changed coaches? Maybe, maybe not - but color is there even if people want to act like it isn't.

Everyone should ascend based on their merits and skills. Sadly, that isn't how the world has been working. Look at the statistics on black deaths and wrongful shootings by police compared with suspects of other colors. There are a lot of protests taking place in this country over systems that may have been meant to be color blind but have not been. This is a big deal right now in this country. Lets celebrate all of it, even the diversity standpoint. Especially for a team which had an owner who was a legendary bigot and had to be forced to accept black players to the organization.

Who's condemning color... ? I'm just curious. If anything, I see rioters using black racial epithets at white people (including the guy nearly killed after crashing his truck when rioters started a mob scene around it), but I guess that's ok since they're on the "correct" side of the mob mentality.

Please spare the kumbaya crap. It won't get much sympathy.

I'll shut up now.

Let’s stop putting words in each other’s mouths guys. It’s not possible to have a cordial, congenial, honest conversation about race on the internet. I’m not 100% sure one can be had face to face anymore. Words are going to get misunderstood, taken out of context, etc...

Lets all assume the best - about each other, about our new Team President, about the intent behind his hire and the process that drove it,and about each other.

I lnow that’s an alien approach, but let’s try.

And in case anyone forgot, we don’t encourage conversations like this one for the exact reason that folks are incapable of having them in a cordial, civil manner.

I'll say this: His interviews since his hire have been top notch. If nothing else (and I expect a ton more), has been a great PR shot in the arm. He is very funny, well spoken, and seems to understand the Redskins history and importance of the fans...even if Snyder doesn't.

I’m praying this guy is the real deal. His resume is impeccable, even if a resume is just paper. He certainly can’t be worse than what the team had. I just have a really bad taste when it comes to Snyder, question his motives and I do feel it’s a discredit to Jason Wright’s accomplishments to constantly bring up his skin color.

I’m pretty sure he knows he’s black. He has the unenviable task of putting out this dumpster fire, regardless his skin color or ethnic backgrouns.

May God have mercy on his soul.

I guess the question is - is it a dumpster fire currently? Snyder is a constant, and for those that believe the org can never be fixed until he’s gone, I have no argument to refute that belief. But the org has otherwise nearly completely turned over. I think it’s time to recognize that.

It's almost like it's a whole new team...

I guess the question is - is it a dumpster fire currently? Snyder is a constant, and for those that believe the org can never be fixed until he’s gone, I have no argument to refute that belief. But the org has otherwise nearly completely turned over. I think it’s time to recognize that.

Regardless of the circumstes

Rivera > Gruden
Donaldson > Michaels
Wright > Allen (presumably)

The whole point being made was these 3 individuals are upgrades over what we've had with color and gender not being a factor. There is a group of us that does not want color or gender to be the primary focus in the celebration of their talent and abilities.... It absolutely should be acknowledged, and celebrated, but not necessarily the focus of the conversation to the point where it almost does take away from the merits and accomplishments from a professional perspective. Not saying you were questioning it Boone, just addressing the larger issue.

Wright seems like a really qualified guy, who also appears to be a really good guy. I hope him all the success.

I sort of reject the idea that anyone wants color and gender to supersede ability and merit. It’s certainly not the desire of the individuals involved or anyone posting on this site. It absolutely does a disservice to the folks being discussed, and honestly, although perhaps not anyone’s intention, but the discussion of those factors has detracted from a real discussion of talent and merit even in this thread.

I think it’s too soon to say the new team president is an upgrade. One would hope so, although I think Bruce Allen became a pariah who was blamed for everything when it was very likely much of the blame for our failures at nearly every level should’ve rested on Dan Snyder himself.

We will know if Snyder has reformed himself if Wright is still with the team next year and doesn’t walk out or get fired for suggesting business is improved when there are fans attending games and buying merchandising.

That didn’t work out so well with Lafemina.

If Kyle Smith was promoted to GM (yes, he fills that role now - just let him keep his current title and give him the GM title as well), that would be a solid moved toward more respectability.

And then, Louis Riddick should be hired as the Team President of football. Ron would still be in charge of the football operation. But with a front office for football of Ron Rivera, Louis Riddick, and Kyle Smith, this front office would potentially be the strongest since the days of Beathard and Gibbs.

Do that, and Dan restores some more trust. I still cast a wary eye in that direction, but a Riddick hire would certainly help.

What makes you a believer in Riddick? I know he's a 'big name' whenever DC football vacancies are available, but he's got a long history with this team during some of our worst years. I know mine is a minority opinion. He's smart and articulate, but I've just never been a big believer in the guy. I also think, if they had any real interest in him, he'd already be at the park. I am curious though what it is about him that makes you think he'd make a significant impact on the org and team?

Kinda' what I was thinking. What did Riddick do when he was here that was actually of any merit?

Riddick was low on the totem pole back then - a scout. He quickly rose to Director of Pro Personnel. He came in with Marty and departed when Joe retired the second time. He went to the Eagles and did a solid job. Basically departed just after Andy Reid left and when Chip Kelly created his nightmare in Philly.

With Riddick now going to MNF, I doubt he would come to DC anyway. But you never know. Riddick knows his stuff and would do very well on the football side.

I'm not as harsh on Jason Wright as guys like Thom Loverro are. I think he's probably a decent human being, but I do think in the interest of equity and rightfully wanting to see more African American NFL executives, he was promoted beyond his experience and ability level. He's shown time and again he is out of his depth as a Team President. The stuff really gets me.

“We’ve been at neutral deposited sentiment since the launch, and that’s much more than I could have asked for,” Wright said.

First of all - good lord man, just speak english. 'Neutral deposited sentiment'??? Secondly, that screams past delusional and approaches dishonest. A clear majority of 'Commanders' fans, by every measure I've seen, despise the name, and are ambivalent or worse regarding the logo, uniforms. The rebrand has been a total debacle but Wright seems to view it as an accomplishment. That blows my mind.

I have my issues with Wright but the job of the President in any company is to spin things to the positive. Internally and externally. By definition almost, the President has to live in a fantasy world where every move was the right move and everything is better today than it was yesterday. Presidents are rarely allowed the leeway to speak the truth if it's not a good look, especially when the business is up for sale.

To that end, Wright is really just doing his job. Even though I have to laugh when I hear him talk.

Well, if 'spinning' is his primary responsibility, he's got to be in the running for NFL Executive of the Year.

And Neo, you are of course correct. But I think the stuff that rubs me the wrong way is the self-congratulatory tone. It's one thing to put borderline delusional stuff out about the team and the fanbase, but lauding things seemingly to beef up your own record and resume. I'm not a fan of that stuff.

Last edited:
Totally fair, brother. The patting himself on the back is tough to listen to for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.