• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WFT Names Jason Wright Team President

It is possible that the best hire for societal and publicity reasons is also the best hire for business and professional reasons. The two are not mutually exclusive.

However, I do think that often the societal and publicity reasons are easier for the average joe to see.

Good luck, Mr. Wright. I wish all the success in the world.
Yep. Absolutely Bob!

I have no doubt he is a great hire. But, so was Ron Rivera. We didn't see "Hispanic head coach Ron Rivera hired in DC"

It is very intentional and meant to pander.
I don't like the word 'pander' because it assumes intent, and we can't really know that. I do agree that given the teams apparently misogynistic history, and *supposed* racist tendencies (and you know that is said with snark and cynicism), it shouldn't surprise to see the team aim for maximum diversity. I don't know if that's pandering or just a genuine effort to show good faith - I'll leave that for history to decide.

OK. I believe I am going to go in to political asylum territory so I am going to stop :)

The guy is a DMV guy, fan, former player, who is also apparently a rising marketing, consulting, business star. This is a business hire, clearly Rivera is going to be the decision-maker on the football side. If someone has facts that indicate this guy isn't well-qualified, I'd love to hear them.

Who needs facts when talking about this team, they don't bother to rely on them why should we? They go through a massive woke trasformation bowing to the PC crowd during this BLM stupidity and you aren't the slightest bit skeptical about hiring motivations when a woman is hired to be the voice and a Black Guy is hired in highlights? Sorry man I don't need to be a cynic to scoff at the absurd, tranparent attempt to appease the woke crowd that these moves have been. Both people are fine workers I'[m sure but no way I will believe that both of these hires weren't heavily influenced by the BLM protests. To put it another way, if Snyder wasn't force fed these changes do you REALLY believe either of these people would have been hired? Qualifications are irrelevant here, they care about appearance which is why both were hired and their "special" qualifications were highlighted in the press release.

'Fine workers'? Julie Donaldson has been a media professional for over 20 years, the past decade covering the Redskins locally. If you have other qualifications relevant to running Washington's media efforts, I'd love to hear them. She's a woman. So is 50% of the population. Your assessment is that her selection must have some kind of an agenda behind it? Really? Lady has earned her stripes and then some - far beyond what most male 'acceptable' candidates would have.

I don't know enough about Wright to have an opinion, but he obviously has some qualifications beyond being 'a Black guy'.

There have been questions around every Redskins hire (other than Gibbs) ever made. Not enough experience. A business guy, not a football guy. Has an alcohol problem. Been successful at the college level, but not pro. Did his best work for another pro team, unlikely to repeat it. Need I go on?

The folks being hired are professionals who have experience. Some - a ton. Others only some.

'Qualifications are irrelevant here' - did you really write that?

I'll grant you - hiring practices don't happen in a vacuum. But how one can bemoan the recent hires after a consistent history of yes men, good old boy, recycyled, misogynistic, amateurish incompetence - I'll just have to say, I don't get what your beef is.

I have to admit, I've been pretty impressed by the hiring decisions that the team has made since finally ousting Bruce Allen.

I like the Wright hire. (I figure he's the Wright man for the job... Thank you, I'll be here all night!)
I like the Donaldson hire.
I think the Rivera hire has already proven itself to be a good hire (results on the playing field not-withstanding!)

It's starting to feel like Snyder may have been replced by a bodysnatcher! 2

The loss of the Redskins name is a bitter pill to swallow, but I'm starting to feel like if that's the price we had to pay to turn this operation into a professional football team after a quarter century of mismanagement, then maybe I'm ok with it. (I know, I know, probably just me!)
The biggest thing that bugs me, is that Snyder and Allen ran the team into the ground over that time, and now we might be (fingers optimistically crossed) on the ascendency, we'll never get the chance to redeem the name. The Redskins name was retired at the nadir of this teams life. If and when we're good again it'll be under a different moniker.

I spent today reading up a little on Wright and his history and this does seem like an excellent and long overdue hire. Finally feels like we're in pretty good hands.

When I first saw the headlines today, my first thought was they hired him to pander to the BLM crowd. Purely based on how every single headline was worded. Then I read the articles and learned about the guy, and my thoughts immediately changed to thinking he's probably the best hire we've made in a really long time, and his qualifications are very impressive. Then it pissed me off, because I realized they chose the wrong thing to focus on in the headlines. The fact he's the first should no doubt be included in the story, but to be the headline seems like more like a click bait approach than anything, and whether intentional or not, I do think it distracts from what he's achieved. To me, the achievements mean way more than anything else.

Who needs facts when talking about this team, they don't bother to rely on them why should we? They go through a massive woke trasformation bowing to the PC crowd during this BLM stupidity and you aren't the slightest bit skeptical about hiring motivations when a woman is hired to be the voice and a Black Guy is hired in highlights? Sorry man I don't need to be a cynic to scoff at the absurd, tranparent attempt to appease the woke crowd that these moves have been. Both people are fine workers I'[m sure but no way I will believe that both of these hires weren't heavily influenced by the BLM protests. To put it another way, if Snyder wasn't force fed these changes do you REALLY believe either of these people would have been hired? Qualifications are irrelevant here, they care about appearance which is why both were hired and their "special" qualifications were highlighted in the press release.

You have every right to have that level of cynisism and i cant argue against it...

That said....

All 3 hires appear to be good moves beyond the factors leading to the cynical thoughts a lot of people share. As Boone pointed out Donaldson has earned her stripes. If she was hired 6 months ago nobody would have questioned it. Rivera was top target this past offseason and i dont think anyone has questioned the move. Wright appears to be fully qualified but i dont know much about him.

At the end of the day you may be right, but if Snyder was forced to look at them because of this than so be it.... it kind of sucks but ultimately we have an upgrade over Gruden, Michaels, and Allen.

Last edited:
As much as I say I want to boycott the WFT after the WaPo culture article (oh, and years of heartbreak under Snyder ownership), even my cynical butt is paying attention to the team news and watching the developments with a little bit of actual hope... Ultimately, this team has been such a major part of my life, I can’t throw it away forever if there are changes that are consistent with overhauling the entire culture. So, I’m cautiously optimistic with the moves I’m currently seeing that I’ll be able to let this team back into my life... 🤷‍♀️

Anyway, after reading about our new President, I am happy with the hire and hope he is successful. As far as news articles mentioning it’s the first black NFL team president, I don’t think that’s pandering. It’s a historic move in the NFL that I think should be recognized. All the articles I am reading about him talk about him being highly qualified for this position, they talk about his Masters degree and work history, so I think it’s great they are talking about all his positive characteristics and qualifications AND the fact that this is history.

As far as news articles mentioning it’s the first black NFL team president, I don’t think that’s pandering. It’s a historic move in the NFL that I think should be recognized. All the articles I am reading about him talk about him being highly qualified for this position, they talk about his Masters degree and work history, so I think it’s great they are talking about all his positive characteristics and qualifications AND the fact that this is history.
Exactly. I don't think it's "pandering." It's notable, because in the history of the NFL, he happens to be the first black person in this senior position.

The guy appears well qualified. Has the real world corp business chops, great academics, and what prob separates him - he legit played in the NFL. Unique combo.

Why didn't they say that Rivera was Hispanic?

It's to keep the conversation of race and race issues alive. When the very first thing you hear is "black" instead of his actual qualifications, its meant to cause problems.
We’ve had lots of head coaches of color in the NFL - so why would they mention it? This is literally an NFL first, so of course they would mention it.

how do you ever get past race if its the first and most important thing you bring up about someone?

Ron Rivera is one of eight NFL head coaches of color currently holding down the sidelines, being the only Latino and just the third in the league's history

The only Latino. It is a big deal if we are focused on color like we are with Jason.

JDR is also a (former) Hispanic HC and is the DC on this team, but I guess he doesn't count.

I'll keep my mouth shut as to why.

Remember that time on this board and on xtreme S when I admitted I was (still am) a Conservative Native American with a nice permanent tan Republican, fiscally and socially making me the 1st? Me neither because it was no big deal. Social Justice warriors may say other it is a big deal and I say what ever. Just Win

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.