• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WFT Names Jason Wright Team President

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia

From the WFT site:

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Football Team announced today that they have appointed Jason Wright team president. In this role, Wright will be responsible for leading the organization's business divisions, including operations, finance, sales, and marketing. He will join Coach Ron Rivera, who maintains all on-field responsibilities and football decisions, in reporting directly to team owner, Dan Snyder.

"If I could custom design a leader for this important time in our history, it would be Jason. His experience as a former player, coupled with his business acumen, gives him a perspective that is unrivaled in the league," said Washington Football Team owner, Dan Snyder. "We will not rest until we are a championship caliber team, on and off the field. Jason has a proven track record in helping businesses transform culturally, operationally and financially. He is a proactive and assertive advocate for inclusion of all people and will set new standards for our organization, and for the league. There could not be a better duo than Jason Wright and Coach Ron Rivera as we usher in a new era for Washington Football."

"From football to business school to McKinsey, I have always enjoyed building exciting new things and taking on the hard, seemingly intractable challenges that others may not want to tackle. I especially love doing this with organizations who have deep history and values that set a firm foundation. This team, at this time, is an ideal opportunity for me," added Wright. "The transformation of the Washington Football Team is happening across all aspects of the organization – from football to operations to branding to culture – and will make us a truly modern and aspirational franchise. We want to set new standards for the NFL. As a DMV local and fan, I've been watching this team with interest long before I knew I could become part of it. I believe in Dan Snyder's vision for this organization, and I am looking forward to partnering with Coach Rivera, who is a champion for the players and one of the great minds in football. Together, we will define the future of the Washington Football Team."

Coach Ron Rivera added, "I remember Jason as a player, and it is no surprise to me that he went on to achieve the caliber of success that Jason has in his time in the business world. From my conversations with his former teammates and coaches plus my own with Jason, I have come to see that we share many of the same core values and beliefs. Because he knows the NFL firsthand and how fast it moves, I am excited to have him on board to head up the front office and operations, so that I can focus on what's most important to the fans in our community – winning football games."

Wright spent seven years as a running back in the NFL with stops in San Francisco, Atlanta, Cleveland, and Arizona, where he was the Cardinals' team captain and labor-union representative during the league's 2011 lockout. Upon his retirement from the gridiron, he received his M.B.A., graduating with high honors from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, and building on his undergraduate studies in psychology at Northwestern University, where he was also an Academic All-American and captain of the football team.

Jason went on to global strategy and management consulting firm, McKinsey & Company, where he quickly ascended to being named partner in the Operations Practice, based in Washington, D.C. In addition to steering some of the world's most influential Chief Human Resources Officers, Chief Financial Officers and Chief Security Officers to transformed environments, modernized operations and increased business value, he spearheaded the Black Economic Institute at McKinsey, where he additionally co-piloted their anti-racism and inclusion strategy. Jason is a trustee for the Union Theological Seminary, where he helps the institution better equip students with community organizing and social entrepreneurship skills.

Last edited:
Calling him "the first black president" really takes away from all he has done to earn his spot. That is one smart man who didn't get this job due to his skin color (hopefully) so we should just acknowledge that instead. my 2 cents anyways

It's a fact, and I'd say a pretty relevant one. I'm not sure how one leaps from that to what you said.

I don't think there's any intent in mentioning it other than recognizing it's a historic first Mike.

If you took all of my hard work, education, and accomplishments and changed it to "first white XYZ" I would feel pretty used.

The guy is a DMV guy, fan, former player, who is also apparently a rising marketing, consulting, business star. This is a business hire, clearly Rivera is going to be the decision-maker on the football side. If someone has facts that indicate this guy isn't well-qualified, I'd love to hear them.

If you took all of my hard work, education, and accomplishments and changed it to "first white XYZ" I would feel pretty used.

Mike - I understand you don't like someone mentioning him being the first, and feel it carries a negative connotation. But I don't think anyone mentioning it (that I've seen) is implying the things you are attaching to it. They are celebrating it, not demeaning it. That's all I'm saying.

I believe he is VERY well qualified. I just hate the fact that the media is using "first black" instead of actually listing his all of his real qualifications.

its the ol "how long have you been a black QB?" question...whether real or not, the point is there.

Mike - I understand you don't like someone mentioning him being the first, and feel it carries a negative connotation. But I don't think anyone mentioning it (that I've seen) is implying the things you are attaching to it. They are celebrating it, not demeaning it. That's all I'm saying.
the sooner we get away from black/white designation the sooner we all become equal.

Hopefully this pans out and he does a fantastic job, I understand Mike's point, his race should not be the focal point of the hire which it probably isn't from what we know but the headlines from the media they make his race a significant focal point. One things for sure, he didn't walk into an easy role with the recent events regarding the team, he's got an uphill battle to get the revenue flowing.

Strahan is still an asshole lol

I do love his comments on Redtails...it shows he has a sense of humor about that.

I don't want to take away from his hiring by making this a race issue thing. I just don't like that is all. I think the man is extremely qualified to do the job, and I have very high hopes for him.

Read his resume, which is impressive, then watched that video. I like his sense of humor and he carries himself well. It definitely feels better than a Bruce Allen hire. He seems much more personable and I like that he's on the younger side.

Bit by bit, this team is doing the right things in recent weeks. The future looks so much better than it did in late December.

Personally, I don't care about race or gender - I just want quality individuals who know what they are doing and have some integrity. On that front it certainly looks like we are hitting on all cylinders in this revamp. If, along the way, we also set a new standard for diversity and equality, that's even better.

Im with ya, they arent.

Problem is the way it's being reported is that the focus is that he's black, and not that he's the the President of the Washington Football Team. I think it's something that society and the media falls into... The fact that he's black takes the headline over the fact that he's a valuable hire.

I have no idea who afrotech.com is but it's the only place that I've seen mention that he's not only the first 'black' team president, but he's also the youngest.

Im with ya, they arent.

Problem is the way it's being reported is that the focus is that he's black, and not that he's the the President of the Washington Football Team. I think it's something that society and the media falls into... The fact that he's black takes the headline over the fact that he's a valuable hire.

I have no idea who afrotech.com is but it's the only place that I've seen mention that he's not only the first 'black' team president, but he's also the youngest.
I get all that. I'd just suggest that it's the fact it's taken until 2020, 100 years into NFL history, for it to happen that is the problem, not the referencing of it :) Generally speaking, it's sad that we are so focused on race and gender and the things that supposedly make us different. It does do Mr. Wright and many others a disservice. But on the flip side, none of this happens in a vacuum. If race and gender truly didn't matter, no one would be talking about it.

I get all that. I'd just suggest that it's the fact it's taken until 2020, 100 years into NFL history, for it to happen that is the problem, not the referencing of it :) Generally speaking, it's sad that we are so focused on race and gender and the things that supposedly make us different. It does do Mr. Wright and many others a disservice. But on the flip side, none of this happens in a vacuum. If race and gender truly didn't matter, no one would be talking about it.

I know, and at the end of the day the news is going to report what makes get the most clicks. The next 100 years people will type "first black NFL team President" into google and now THEIR article will pop up...

To elaborate you post directly above my last response, you want the most qualified individuals and if we break down barriers doing so, then great (paraphrasing). I agree 100%, and I wish the reporting was the same way...

It is possible that the best hire for societal and publicity reasons is also the best hire for business and professional reasons. The two are not mutually exclusive.

However, I do think that often the societal and publicity reasons are easier for the average joe to see.

Good luck, Mr. Wright. I wish all the success in the world.

I have no doubt he is a great hire. But, so was Ron Rivera. We didn't see "Hispanic head coach Ron Rivera hired in DC"

It is very intentional and meant to pander.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.