• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WEx:Thom Loverro:Redskins shouldn't punt on a different idea

SNF

The Starter
Reaction score
I love it.

The defense is so bad ... HOW BAD IS IT?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/thom-...a-different-idea/article/2512226#.UJLm-G_hBc8

The question is this: What has a better chance of success on fourth-and-5 at, say, the 50-yard line? Punt the ball and rely on the defense to pin the opposition deep in its territory and get the ball back, or go for it with RGIII?

Let's make the odds even greater -- fourth-and-10 at their own 40 -- punt or go for the first down with RGIII?

I say go tell Sav Rocca to take a family vacation to Australia and never mention the word "punt" again the rest of this season.

Here are some reasonable conclusions eight games into the season: The Redskins' defense can't stop anyone, and RGIII, with his speed, arm and intelligence, is capable of offensive plays the NFL has not seen before from a quarterback.

The kid is their best chance to win whenever he has the ball in his hands. So when the defense is out there wasting time trying to stop the opposition on a 10-play, 80-yard scoring drive that lasts five or six minutes, that's precious time in which RGIII doesn't have the ball in his hands.:laugh:

In fact, the Redskins might get the most out of this defense with a shorter field. In other words, this defense may have a better chance of stopping a touchdown in the red zone than it does when the opposing offense has the whole field to work with.

That may seem laughable but not any more than expecting a defense that can't pressure the opposing quarterback and can't cover receivers to stop offenses in the NFL.

There are a lot of advanced metrics that essentially say the same thing, and that's without taking into account our ****ty D. I would actually support this idea, within reason. Anything behind our 40 seems like a bad idea, but anything else, why the hell not? At least until we get to Kai's range.

I also agree with this. Anything at the 50, for sure.

This has been part of a running conversation with Kevin Sheehan and Lovero on their show on ESPN 980 since Monday. They're debuting their emergency management plan tomorrow that has lots of little ideas like this.

The sad part is there's enough truth in what he says that the idea is not all that bad...

I wish you could make the same sound's that he does with his wicked voice when you type his ideas... now that would be something I could stand behind, never punting, well thats just stupid. Steelers would have beat us by 30.

There are some things that cant work in the NFL, and completely disregarding the field position battle... that is one of them. When you have a good enough offense to NEVER punt... you wont have to, cuz you wont ever face a 4th down.

Young Mr. Griffin is incredible, Alfred Morris is a beast, and the defense is historically bad. Given what these kids have done and continue to do to in order to play at the level they're playing, the Redskins ridiculous defense is an absolute crime. If they were just below average, the Redskins would be winning games. I see Loverro's "idea" as a joke, but it rings so close to true as to almost be arguable.

In frustration during the game last week, I said "Why don't you just let them score now and get the offense back on the field! Stop torturing us!". It is amazing how often it appears that they don't realize that stopping them on third down before the first down marker is the key. Obviously letting them score is foolish, but when you feel like the other team will probably score every time they get the ball, maybe using that extra down for an offensive play rather than a punting it back to them isn't quite as outrageous as it sounds.

I am really hoping that they step it up and raise their level of play all the way up to below average and give the team a chance to win with the kids on offense.

There are some things that cant work in the NFL, and completely disregarding the field position battle... that is one of them. When you have a good enough offense to NEVER punt... you wont have to, cuz you wont ever face a 4th down.

Sorry but I don't think you get it. Go read the Shanahan qoutes thread and the answer lies in his reponse to Griffen's abilities.

What makes Griffen so special is that he changes the way the game is played. You should already have figured that out by game 8. But understand this, Griffen punted 4 games at Baylor. He can play that position as well, the options are unlimited. Go read the history of Sammy Baugh, who still holds nfl punting records, notwithstanding the fact he is one of the greatest of quarterbacks of all time. But even Sammy can't do what Robert Griffen can do.

The only thing that Robert Griffen can't do is throw it to himself, but hey I can see him doing that too!

There is no offense so good that they would never see a fourth down!

I think that if we are around midfield to field goal range, anything 10 yards or less go for it. Our D had proven time and time again they cannot stop anybody, so what does 20 or 30 yards matter? If knowing that your scheme is to do that, it would kinda open things up on third downs where you may run the ball on third and 8 and get 5 yards setting up a a short fourth down play. I say why not do it!

Ok first off his name is GRIFFIN.....

Second.... I never slighted him as a player... it was eluded to that we should NEVER punt. Thats different then lining up and having Griffin punt if the defense doesn't give you the right look.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

There is no offense so good that they would never see a fourth down!

I think that if we are around midfield to field goal range, anything 10 yards or less go for it. Our D had proven time and time again they cannot stop anybody, so what does 20 or 30 yards matter? If knowing that your scheme is to do that, it would kinda open things up on third downs where you may run the ball on third and 8 and get 5 yards setting up a a short fourth down play. I say why not do it!

Very true... and I agree that we can convert 4th and 3 on their 40.... but not 4th and 9 from our 25

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.