• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WEx: Sonny or Billy? Which Redskins QB stole your heart?

Pappas

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/s...ns-QB-stole-your-heart_-8219073-58159427.html

Sonny or Billy? Which Redskins QB stole your heart?
By: Rick Snider
Examiner Sports Columnist
September 10, 2009

Sonny Jurgensen and Billy Kilmer used to cruise the beltway looking for targets.

When Jurgensen spotted an "I like Billy" bumper sticker, he would lean out the window and jokingly taunt the driver. Then the Washington Redskins quarterbacks searched for an "I like Sonny" sticker so Billy could do the same. Thirty-seven years later, Jurgensen still chuckles over the memory.

Those bumper stickers founded a Washington tradition of fighting over the Redskins' starting quarterback. The iconic strips of burgundy or gold backgrounds and "I root for Washington, and" in small letters followed by "I LIKE SONNY [or] BILLY" lasted only two seasons, but fans have been choosing sides ever since.

It didn't matter if it was Jay Schroeder versus Doug Williams, Heath Shuler versus Gus Frerotte or even Colt Brennan against Chase Daniel last week for the third roster slot that neither gained, the debate has been long and lasting, polarizing and persistent.

"Every time I hear the words quarterback controversy," said Ted Schumacher, "in my mind Billy-Sonny were the first true quarterback controversy."

Click the link to read the entire article...

I am still convinced that Jurgensen healthy in 1972 would have resulted in Washington coming back to defeat the Dolphins and ruin their perfect season.

Allen hated the legacy of support Jurgensen engendered from Washington fans and was keenly intent on riding to success with Kilmer, his chosen quarterback.

But in a Super Bowl where Kilmer hit the uprights with a pass that should have been a touchdown, Allen would have had little choice but to bring in #9.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

My dad was a HUGE Kilmer fan though. I remember the "I like Billy" sticker on our station wagon.

My dad was a huge Billy fan and had the bumper sticker too, only difference was my dad had a late 60's Bonneville.

I am still convinced that Jurgensen healthy in 1972 would have resulted in Washington coming back to defeat the Dolphins and ruin their perfect season.

Allen hated the legacy of support Jurgensen engendered from Washington fans and was keenly intent on riding to success with Kilmer, his chosen quarterback.

But in a Super Bowl where Kilmer hit the uprights with a pass that should have been a touchdown, Allen would have had little choice but to bring in #9.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I share your sentiment BD. A healthy Sonny would have led us to victory. Those were the days when the QB called the plays. Sonny wouldn't have been as nearly as conservative in his playcalling and loved to run play-action on first down. To this day, I'm convinced sonny would have brought us our first Super Bowl victory.

Oh, in case I forgot to mention it, we had a I Like Sonny sticker. ;)

I had a #9 jersey as a kid. But I'll still alway fondly remember Kilmer playing with the broken nose (gotta love those old school facemasks) and his "wobble with the wind" passes.

I was definitely a Sonny person, but knowing that they (Sonny and Billy) laughed over the whole thing makes me feel like it really didn't matter. I do believe however that Sonny would have come back against the Dolphins. No offense to Billy, just Sonny had more of that type of experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.