• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

We've been discovered

I'm sure the attention is nice but some of the attendant information is wrong.

(For the un-obsessed: Snyder made the Redskins the first pro sports team to acquire an existing fan site with the extremeskins move, one of many firsts during the Redskins owner’s campaign to Control the Message.)

If Snyder has a campaign to "control the message" on ES he has failed more miserably at that then he has at running a professional football franchise.

I agree. Some of the Anti- Snyder reactions over there make me look like the Dali Lama in comparison. I haven't posted over there in quite a while but I've visited just to scan the thread titles about once a week or so. I don't know how the mods keep it all together over there honestly.

Additionally, I thought that the impetus behind this project had more to do with enjoying a better message board experience (like ES used to have) than with any displeasure over the organizations ownership or involvement.

If I'm incorrect I'll surely be told. Otherwise, McKenna would be better served by doing some research because, ultimately, gratuitous shots are much more effective if their basis is true.

Additionally, I thought that the impetus behind this project had more to do with enjoying a better message board experience (like ES used to have) than with any displeasure over the organizations ownership or involvement.

If I'm incorrect I'll surely be told. Otherwise, McKenna would be better served by doing some research because, ultimately, gratuitous shots are much more effective if their basis is true.

You are definitely correct. When I was contacted regarding this site there was NEVER any suggestion that it was being set up as competition to ES for any reason. It was presented as a smaller alternative. It's been everything I'd hoped it would be.

The folks here are familiar to me if not by name than certainly by experience and I feel a real kinship here. ES simply got too big to retain that feeling for me. There was a need and the market stepped up to fill it.

Competition has never been What We're About here at BGO. We seek to be evaluated and accepted on the merits of this site and this site alone. We do seek to be different, that is without question, but that is because we want something previously unavailable out of our Redskins online experience and not just to be different for the sake of being different. We hope those who come here do so because it is where they want to be.

He owns it dude. He could shut it down with a snap of his fingers. Now, whether of not that would be a good move on his part...................

He owns it dude. He could shut it down with a snap of his fingers. Now, whether of not that would be a good move on his part...................
Correction, he could shut down the servers with a snap of his fingers. I guarran-damn-tee you the mods over there would have a new site up and functioning, at least in some capacity within a day or two. And at that point, it would be open season on shrimp.

As with the team, Snyder owns the hardware. We own the community. ;)

This site will never be compared with ES and if it is that is only because the people are new and mention it once, maybe twice.

People are paranoid honestly and just looking for something to stick to Danny. There are so many things that "maybe this isn't so far fetched" but there is no way he would be able to shut down message boards even if it is the "official" one. I also think that he has enough to deal with without worrying about a message board. He is getting attacked from all angles and somehow I think we would be bottom of the list.

I agree Mike.

And I can tell you when I was on the ES staff I don't think Dan Snyder even knew we existed. We'd hear a second-hand comment once every six months or so, but never anything from Snyder himself. I'm sure the guy has far bigger fish to fry.

Competition has never been What We're About here at BGO. We seek to be evaluated and accepted on the merits of this site and this site alone. We do seek to be different, that is without question, but that is because we want something previously unavailable out of our Redskins online experience and not just to be different for the sake of being different. We hope those who come here do so because it is where they want to be.

And this is absolutely true as well.

When we first left ES, the first thought we had was 'let's do something else.' Hence, The Noosphere. It was only after a year of working on that site that the owners (minus myself) decided to create this place. That article makes it sound like we all just went 'nuts to this' and formed a new board to take on The Man.

I don't think that's the case at all.

I think Master Sanders is burgundy & gold obsessed, a big Redskins fan, not BGO.

http://thebiglead.com/?p=15806

Barry Sanders’ Son is a Redskins Fan, of Course

1-liner, Athlete spawn, High School Sports TheBigLead July 20th. 2009, 5:45pm

Barry Sanders Jr.: He’s only 15 and a sophomore in high school, but that playoff TD he scored as a freshman has generated 1.3 million views on the web. Also, he’s a Redskins fan because of Clinton Portis. “I wouldn’t say a big Lions fan but I support them. My dad and I actually went to the last game that they won when they played Kansas City. I’m a Redskins fan because I like Clinton Portis. They also have Jason Campell and that defense. The Lions — they’re coming along — they have my good old friend Brandon Pettigrew. So hopefully he can put in a little work and they can win a game or two.”

Building BGO had nothing to do with ES as Henry and Neo have stated. The only 2 motivations I personally had in helping build a new site were a) to have an outlet for creativity (something we lost on ES when we gave up control of the site), and birthing a redskin's fan messageboard where you could really feel a sense of community again and have meaningful intelligent conversations with people you care about.

That's really about it.

It never was about anything else. The ES thread linked in this one is (as far as I know) the first public acknowledgement that BGO exists ever made on ES. If we had designs other than what I've mentioned, that certainly wouldn't be the case. There would be nothing to stop us from pimping the hell out of BGO there if we thought we had the same audience.

\The ES thread linked in this one is (as far as I know) the first public acknowledgement that BGO exists ever made on ES.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think there was any such acknowledgement in that thread.

Old Skool mentions the site Whiskey.

And btw...Sarge is a little slow on the uptake. That 'City Paper' blurb from Dave McKenna was from back in July right after we opened our doors.

Last edited:
I think the idea of a "competition" between ES and BGO stemmed from two things-first, BGO being a "new" fan site is going to invite the idea of a competition between it and other fan sites simply by its coming into existence and, second, the mere fact of who the owners of BGO are and their past history is causing McKenna, and possibly others, to assume that a competition exists whether or not one is the intent or not.

McKenna's a failed sports journalist who has spent years trying to get under Dan Snyder's skin writing for a free city paper. He routinely tried to get a rise out of the original ES crew when we first "sold" the site to the team formed (Art first, then me). Art bit a couple of times, then tired of it ...and you know poor ol' Dave has to be pretty lame if even Brother Mills can't stay interested in a public brouhaha. ;)

McKenna then moved on to me, and developed a crush on me for a while because I was stupid and actually engaged him one time. He contacted me to write another bash-the-Redskins-through-their-internet-kingdom piece, and I bristled at his wanting to know personal stuff (where I worked, how much I made...) about me that was clearly not intended for any legitimate journalistic piece. End result was the tiff resulted in a monster ES thread that probably drew more readers to his on-line articles than he's generally gets. Or deserves, in my opinion.

I've ignored him ever since despite, I believe, at least 2 or 3 more snark pieces aimed directly at me to looking to get another rise.

I did get a bit of a kick of out the last one, though, as linked in the OP ... because the guy actually had something semi-positive to say about BGO. I took that as being pretty damn big of the man, considering.

Last edited:
I did get a bit of a kick of out the last one, though, as linked in the OP ... because the guy actually had something semi-positive to say about BGO. I took that as being pretty damn big of the man, considering.

Don't give him too much credit. :)

I think he's more interested in taking jabs at Snyder any way he can than going after you ... no offense. :D

Oh, I don't believe for a second McKenna is more interested in screwing with little old me than he is in Woodward & Bernsteining Dan Snyder, brother. But the man has definitely crossed the line with me personally a couple times. It's almost enough to make one wonder who is the professional journalist and who is the silly fan boy.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...board-to-dan-snyder-to-start-competing-board/

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/index.php/2008/02/05/chairman-of-the-bored/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.