• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Well here we go, Defensive changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speculation that one of the post-season guys Skins are waiting to interview is Raheem Morris (WR Coach for Atlanta)

Raheem Morris doesn't make sense.
Didn't we just fire him as DB coach not too long ago ?
So he would be promoted above the position he was fired from ?
We are talking DC right ?

As for Rob Ryan, we would have been better off keeping Barry, than hiring Ryan.

Last edited:
Manusky is interviewing tomorrow I heard for the DC position.

I think they're just covering their bases waiting on Gus and/or playoff teams. Teams can deny permission for their coach to interview with another team unless it's a head coaching position or their contract is expired so waiting on playoff teams maybe you are settling for someone other than their DC. Cincinnati denied Washington an interview with Paul Guenther about a week ago. He runs a base 4-3, like Bradley, but being a friend Jay is about he had going for him.

Scot is willing to roll the dice on who may come in. This shouldn't be a shock - he's willing to get the players first and wait on the DC if necessary. He has far more patience than the average fan.

Speculation that one of the post-season guys Skins are waiting to interview is Raheem Morris (WR Coach for Atlanta)

Falling back to the Tampa connection has grown old. Morris inherited a stacked D from Kiffen, and still couldn't hold it together in Tampa. I can't even begin to imaging why we would even look at him beyond the old connections from Tampa and Washington. I don't even trust him as a position coach.

John, I think it's quite possible that McLoughan has had zero input into coordinator candidates. When we started this rebuild out, it was made clear - the GM picks the players, the head coach chooses his staff. I really believe that this is how we are operating - whether fans like it or not. NFL head coaching jobs are tough to keep. That's why it's only fair that the HC gets to pick his own staff. I don't think there's any other explanation for Joe Barry being hired than that it was 100% Gruden's call. I'm not saying that Gruden has never discussed candidates with McLovin or Allen - I'm suggesting that he likely has demanded and gotten the final call.

I think we as fans want to believe otherwise, because McLovin is supposed to be the savior, and we don't trust Gruden (to varying degrees). But I think that's wishful thinking and that it's Gruden who will decide who the next D.C. is.

I believe they asked Gruden to live with Haslett that first year for contract salary reasons but that he was assured beyond that he would have 100% control over his own staff. That's the way it should be. If he dicks it up, it'll cost him his job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Falling back to the Tampa connection has grown old. Morris inherited a stacked D from Kiffen, and still couldn't hold it together in Tampa. I can't even begin to imaging why we would even look at him beyond the old connections from Tampa and Washington. I don't even trust him as a position coach.

Not only that, but he has only been coaching offensive positions, since we fired him as DB. Maybe that should tell us something even more.
As Ax pointed out, the Rooney rule is probably the primary reason we're interviewing him, rather than his Tampa geneology.

I believe they asked Gruden to live with Haslett that first year for contract salary reasons but that he was assured beyond that he would have 100% control over his own staff. That's the way it should be. If he dicks it up, it'll cost him his job.

There are people saying the Gruden has whiffed on 2 DC's, and therefore should be that much closer to losing his job. But if it's true Gruden was pressured to retain Haslett, then in reality he only made one bad choice at DC.

Last edited:
I'm curious about John Mitchell of the Steelers.
He looks like a really good prospect for a DC.
But his official title is "Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line".
So I wonder if this would actually qualify as a promotion, in order for us to "Steal from the Steelers".
Does the other half of his title, "Asst. Head Coach", mean that DC would not be a promotion, and he'd be off-limits to us ?
If that's the case, perhaps that's the reason they give some position coaches, the dual title of "Asst. Head Coach" in order to protect them from being swiped by other teams ?

Although, I have a feeling he might not be interested in going anywhere, and may want to retire in Pittsburgh. He's been with the organization for 23 consecutive years, since 1994. And he's 65 years old.

Last edited:
It means we would still need permission to talk to him, AND for Pittsburgh to let him accept the job.

Kind of a "right of first refusal", me thinks.

Rumor has it if the Texans don't get a deal done with Romeo by next Tuesday they will try to pursue him as his contract expires then

I'm curious about John Mitchell of the Steelers.
He looks like a really good prospect for a DC.
But his official title is "Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line".
So I wonder if this would actually qualify as a promotion, in order for us to "Steal from the Steelers".
Does the other half of his title, "Asst. Head Coach", mean that DC would not be a promotion, and he'd be off-limits to us ?
If that's the case, perhaps that's the reason they give some position coaches, the dual title of "Asst. Head Coach" in order to protect them from being swiped by other teams ?

Although, I have a feeling he might not be interested in going anywhere, and may want to retire in Pittsburgh. He's been with the organization for 23 consecutive years, since 1994. And he's 65 years old.

no that's just a formality a team can block any move accept for head coach

So you're saying a team can block say, their Linebacker Coach, from taking a DC position with another team ?

That would be correct
Vance Joseph was blocked by cincy from becoming the Broncos DC when they hired kubiak.
Lions blocked Jim Bob cooter from the Bears for OC when he was QB coach

That would be correct
Vance Joseph was blocked by cincy from becoming the Broncos DC when they hired kubiak.
Lions blocked Jim Bob cooter from the Bears for OC when he was QB coach

Hmm, okay interesting, I was under the impression that as long as it was a promotion of any kind, that teams were free to claim a coach.

Not if they're under contract.

Teams usually always allow promotion of coordinators/position coaches-to-head coach.
But they don't have to.

We were denied permission to speak with Crennel and Vrabel promoted to DC. So our options are dwindling. There must be someone Gruden is waiting for that is still in playoffs.

I just don't have a good feeling about this. Gruden's track record on hires just don't give you much confidence.

This is not going well...

I don't know if I can tolerate the Skins hiring another second rate/tier defensive coordinator. I'll probably be all out of ****s to give at that point. The Skins seem to be about as attractive as the Browns because it feels like nobody wants to really be in Washington...even the quarterback...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.