• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Week 1 - Studs and Duds

Canadian Hog

2019 BGO Ballers Champ
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
A very disappointing Week 1 is in the books. Let's take a closer look at what players were standouts, and who was lackluster vs. the Chargers. Unfortunately, the bad list is going to be longer than the good one.

Studs:

1. William Jackson - Normally, we have been accustomed to free agency acquisitions not working out in Washington. While the preseason was likely leaving us a bit concerned in regards to WJ, he stepped up in Week 1 with some nice plays on the ball and a key interception with the Chargers threatening to score deep in our territory in the 2nd half. It could have been the turning point in the game, but our team did not seize the moment and still found a way to lose.

Tress Way - Whether you agree with Rivera's decision to punt or not with about 6 minutes to go down by 4, Way did everything he was asked to do in that situation. He pinned the opponent deep in their territory with a really good punt, setting the defence up for a critical stop. Unfortunately, we know the script all too well in Washington...

De'Andre Carter - on Sunday, Carter proved that he can potentially be a useful weapon for us this season and help a struggling offence earn shorter fields to work with. He had good burst, was decisive, and moved upfield on returns with little wasted time. It was a breath of fresh air from what we have been accustomed to.

Duds:

1. Antonio Gibson - 90 yards on 20 carries is a nice stat line, but at the end of the day, despite some nice looking runs, he choked when it mattered most. Someone who is potentially going to be the focal point of this offence cannot afford to put the ball on the carpet in the worst possible of situations.

2. Brandon Scherff - as far as I am concerned, this is not a guy you invest in long-term. Two critical penalties in crunch time situations are not what you expect from a team captain. This was not someone leading by example Sunday. Once again, our offensive line collapsed and sputtered when the game was on the line.

3. Chase Young - the Defensive Rookie of the Year was a ghost on Sunday. You thought he would have been chomping at the bit to get after Rashawn Slater, who was touted for having some great college type against Chase Young. Instead, Young had to be moved away from Slater's side at various times in the game to allow for a more favourable matchup.

4. Samuel Cosmi - the kid was rudely introduced to the NFL by Joey Bosa. He was man-handled on several occasions and really didn't have an answer all day. I expect him to bounce back, but it is not the start you want out of the gate, especially if it starts playing on his mind.

5. Benjamin St. Juste - I have a rooting interest in this kid for obvious reasons. However, the Chargers exploited his inexperience on several occasions and their receivers were usually too tall of an order for him to handle in critical situations. If this turns into a trend this season, we could have some problems on the back end, as BSJ appears to be a guy they have big plans for.

5. Kendall Fuller - it maybe was the worst game we have seen him play in a Washington uniform. He has done a heck of a lot more good than bad for this franchise, but getting benched was certainly not a career highlight.

6. Dyami Brown - talk about being given an opportunity to make a statement. Curtis Samuel is out and on a day where you know the opposition is going to do everything in their power to blanket Terry, he can't find many opportunities to get open and make something happen to spark the offence. An underwhelming debut to say the least. Maybe I am being too harsh on the kid, I don't know?

7. Coaches - they all had their share of blunders on Sunday. Rivera's decision to not go for it on 4th and 7 left a stain on his shirt after we couldn't get the ball back. Del Rio couldn't find an answer for Herbert's ability to release the ball quickly, nor could he figure out how to get in Herbert's face with a largely brand new offensive line that he was going up against. As well, while the Chargers put on a clinic for how to exploit our rookies, our group of coaches didn't do the same.

8. Dan Snyder - having sewage (or rain water depending on who you believe) leaking into the seat when you are trying to win this fanbase back is not a good look. Regardless, in many ways, the leak looked a lot like our defence on Sunday.

What say you?

Overall - dead on CH.

I'd argue that you can't put Gibson on the 'Dud' list imho. He carried the offense for most of the game. Why the hell didn't they spell him more - that's my question? You have McKissic (whose only rush was for 8 yds btw) and Patterson and they get a combined 3 total carries? That's just criminal negligence in my book. Gibson is coming off a season where he was beat to hell and hurt and you decide he's your only RB for 2021?

I thought Cole Holcomb was our only bright spot at LB yesterday - all over the field.

Our rookies looked bad yesterday. But they are rookies most of whom started. I can't really list them as 'Duds' - you should expect struggles.

You can't put Gibson on the 'Dud' list imho. He carried the offense for most of the game. Why the hell didn't they spell him more - that's my question? You have McKissic (whose only rush was for 8 yds btw) and Patterson and they get a combined 3 total carries? That's just criminal negligence in my book. Gibson is coming off a season where he was beat to hell and hurt and you decide he's your only RB for 2021?

I hear you, John. I suppose the spot on the field where that fumble happened really magnified things. All things considered, we were likely toast without him.

I'm just quibbling brother - a RB can't do that. But on the other hand he WAS our offense leading up to that horrible mistake.

Duds: Coaches - I don't even know how much we can fault the players with the way that game was called and managed
Fitz - Ball release was slow, had several early throws that had me cringe

Defense as a whole but this again reflects to the game plan as well

Studs: - Heinicke - Dude came in and balled - 11/15 for 122 and a TD, just the energy of the team once he came in makes him a stud
Mclaurin - 4/4 and 62 yards and considering this offense didn't do jack squat with Fitz in I'll take him as a stud in week 1

Studs - God. We know he wants Taylor to start and came with his powers to make sure "Herberting" Fitzpatrick is the only path forward.

;)

Same SO. I am not *glad* Fitz got hurt, by any stretch. But if I'm being honest, I thought he looked bad out there in his limited reps. His balls had no velocity on them and he made several very risky attempts that took forever to get to the WR. Obviously, it's impossible to judge a QB on that sample size. But I was not encouraged by what I was seeing. I don't think we had any chance of winning that game with him under center. And it was probably inevitable that he got hurt with the protection he was (ie... wasn't) getting. Leno should be on the Dud list btw - he barely slowed down Nwosu on the play that may have ended Fitzpatrick's season and/or career. Just a really poor effort.

Studs - God. We know he wants Taylor to start and came with his powers to make sure "Herberting" Fitzpatrick is the only path forward.

;)

I don't understand what you are saying here - can you restate it?

I'm still in shock over how much our DL was pushed around by players that never played together before. Plus, one of the lineman was hurt!!

Just embarrassing. Shows they believed the hype all off season and need to come back down to earth.

Or maybe we aren't nearly as strong on the DL as it appeared last season?

I don't understand what you are saying here - can you restate it?
Circumstances forcing a change can lead to the better player taking the reins. Warner and Trent Green. Tom Brady and Drew Bledsoe. Taylor's been given a gift.

I'm still in shock over how much our DL was pushed around by players that never played together before. Plus, one of the lineman was hurt!!

Just embarrassing. Shows they believed the hype all off season and need to come back down to earth.

You would have thought that being humbled by Tom Brady last January would have been enough of an eye opener for the D-line in regards to the level of excellence it requires to be elite. But the fact is that they have had two really bad meaningful games in a row now. It all needs to be used as fuel going into Thursday. There is no way in hell that they can let Daniel Jones feel comfortable this coming week. If there was ever a time to get REALLY angry for the guys up front, it is now.

As an aside...just a question I am throwing out there. Is it possible that we undervalued what Ryan Kerrigan could have brought to this team in terms of giving a spark off the bench? I know we are only one game in and Ryan wanted to play more snaps than what he was going to get here, but it is something that crossed my mind.

I feel like I said it to the point I looked like a homer lol

His intensity, leadership, and ability would have made him well worth it. We don't really have depth at DE right now and we should since we depend on them do much. Many times Sweat looked like he was just standing there.

Plus, I think his contract was only around $4mil tops

I would have had no problem keeping Ryan. But if Chase, Montez, and Ionnadis couldn't get to Herbert, is anyone really going to publicly state they believe Kerrigan would have?

I think Kerrigan could have been kept. But, he wouldn’t have made any difference yesterday.

By the way, that sewage thing is absolutely disgusting. I would be so mad if that happened to me.

One more reason that stadium is a hell hole and needs to go.

According to Fed Ex Field's Twitter account it was sparkling rain water.

Mmmmhuh.

Pipegate could be rainwater.

My plumbing understanding is limited to residential but the material is PVC around these parts and gravity does the work. So I don't know how pipes are gushing out like that. There should be a bathroom nearby as well.

It very well may be just rain. But, it's just our luck that happens and it's being called sewage.

I thought Cole Holcomb was our only bright spot at LB yesterday - all over the field.

I didn’t realize it at the time, but did you guys know that on a day when the heat was sapping players badly, Holcomb was the ONLY defender that played every single down of that game?

And he looked pretty good doing it.

We need more LBs with his toughness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.