• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

[WE] Thomas Loverro: Griffin is great by any measurement

tshile

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/tho...a-great-qb-by-any-measurement/article/2513917

You know that formula the NFL uses to come up with that quaint measurement known as passer rating? They might want to put that in a drawer somewhere and come up with something different because Robert Griffin III has broken it.

Does anyone doubt that if RGIII needed to be under center that he would be successful? What part of his game is missing that would stop him from being that guy? His arm? His brain?

"I didn't second-guess what my instincts were telling me as far as when to throw and when not to throw or when to run and when not to run," he said. "You thank God to be able to have those moments and feel things the right way, and it all works out for you."

Measure that.

Spot on.

Someone needs to come up with a rating system for QBs that includes rushing. You can call evaluations that don't "passer" ratings. But you cannot call them "quarterback" ratings, IMO.

That's what QBR is for. Griffin's QBR for Sunday was 93.7, one of the highest ever recorded for a single game. His total QBR for the season has kept him in the top 5-9 all season long. In my opinion, it's a far more accurate measure of a quarterback than passer rating.

Andrew Luck is a perfect example. According to passer rating, he's currently the number 28 QB in the league. Obviously absurd, because there are not 27 QBs performing better than him right now. But if you look at QBR, he is number 3. Far more accurate, although I think it might be 2-3 spots too high, but definitely closer than having him 28th.

According to ESPN's QBR Andrew Luck is a better running QB than Griffin.

Sorry, I think it's crap. :)

That's what QBR is for. Griffin's QBR for Sunday was 93.7, one of the highest ever recorded for a single game. His total QBR for the season has kept him in the top 5-9 all season long. In my opinion, it's a far more accurate measure of a quarterback than passer rating.

QBR? Really? ESPN is the worst; I would not look to them for the be-all/end-all to quarterback ratings.

Andrew Luck is a perfect example. According to passer rating, he's currently the number 28 QB in the league. Obviously absurd, because there are not 27 QBs performing better than him right now. But if you look at QBR, he is number 3. Far more accurate, although I think it might be 2-3 spots too high, but definitely closer than having him 28th.

Not quite Ryan Leaf, is he? :)

I havnt heard anyone mention this feat - but has ANY QB in NFL history, EVER thrown 4 TD's in a single game, in AS LITTLE AS 15 PASS ATTEMPTS ??

I couldn't find that stat.

I did find that (against the Redskins) Y.A. Tittle threw 7 TDs, with no interceptions, in 27 completions. That's a ratio of 1 TD per 3.86 completions.

In this most recent game RGIII's ratio was 1 TD per 3.5 completions.

I did some digging through Pro-Football reference and found this-they don't have searchable stats for things like this prior to 1960 apparently.

Griff's 4 TD's in no more than 15 attempts is the 13th such achievement since 1960. Frank Ryan's 5 TD's in 13 attempts in 1964 is another astonisher although his completion percentage of 92.3% fell a little short of Griff's.

gCyjUY2yrD7hTOgDx12iBpHF-ZaeyrlAqKmfl_6tKQrMI8YRoikME94_FnYDxvA7er2DKUBc9jHLhK1xopG8M2x-WfsvfZ3qx2t-ZwsBSzCmQqtY8C01

Link to reference:http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&year_min=1960&year_max=2012&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&league_id=&team_id=&opp_id=&game_type=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_n

I think i saw somewhere that Griffin's perfect "passer rating' of 158.3 from this past weekend wont be counted in the books because of the fact that he didnt have the minimum number of attempts necessary to take the record for a rookie. They also said that he was so good, that statistically he could have thrown 5 incomplete passes (giving him the allotted minimum of 20) and still had the same 'perfect' passer rating.

I did some digging through Pro-Football reference and found this-they don't have searchable stats for things like this prior to 1960 apparently.

So, he's the only guy to accomplish that in the last 22 years. Still amazing.
And the last guy to do it was an ex-Redskin :)

I think i saw somewhere that Griffin's perfect "passer rating' of 158.3 from this past weekend wont be counted in the books because of the fact that he didnt have the minimum number of attempts necessary to take the record for a rookie. They also said that he was so good, that statistically he could have thrown 5 incomplete passes (giving him the allotted minimum of 20) and still had the same 'perfect' passer rating.

They should have just "given" him the 4 incompletes :laugh:

So, he's the only guy to accomplish that in the last 22 years. Still amazing.
And the last guy to do it was an ex-Redskin :)

They should have just "given" him the 4 incompletes :laugh:

he could have thrown 5 ADDITIONAL incomplete passes.... not 5 total lol.

I love PFR - awesome website. They have a similar site for hockey as well (not sure if its the same folks or not), but those sortable stats are amazing.

I dont think they should include rushing in a quarterbacks rating, when a QB rushes for yardage, its a bonus, we just happen to have a guy who is most likely going to set records for rushing, but you know what excites me the most? his developement as a passer. as we get him better receivers, he will only get better as a passer and he is already pretty damn good.

I think as he gets more experience we will see less running from him, but more effctive running when he does run. he is just such a great athlete that people forget that he has already shown that he is a QB first , and athlete second. he reminds me of Warren Moon when Warren was young and playing up here in Canada, stunning athlete but able to channel that into playing QB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.