• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Washington Redskins: How Daniel Snyder found his man in Mike Shanahan

I think you're all missing one critical point. the spur of the moment decision wasn't for just any ole slouch.....it was for a SB winning coach whom he had to know was not going to be a push over. seems to me it might have taken 10 years but he finally thought "this sucks...screw it.....I'm going out and I'm going to sign the best and I'll let him run the show. I'm going to do this the tried and true way. I've had it with being a laughing stock." The Allen signing only seems to confirm this.

Just remember when Dan is bored and wants to reunite the Gang

Vinny is just a phone call away

As much as I was originally against the Shanahan hiring I have to admit that I was probably wrong on that one and Allen is could be the buffer, and the reason why it's working out. With Gibbs it was Gibbs and 2 buffoons, now it's the Owner as the lone buffoon in the trio. That has to help.

I remember in 07 or 08 people were talking about how Dan had been talking to Shanahan and that maybe he'd be our next coach, except he was still coaching in Denver and I hated the idea.

He seemed to be running the Broncos just like the Redskins at the time, or I thought so. They went out every year and signed a dozen free agents, switched defenses every other year, etc and still either went 8-8 or lost the first game in the playoffs. Well at least so far it seems that things are being done differently here now.

I still don't know if I like Haslett as DC but the first game was better than expected on D. 14 points for an offense that usually had run us over and always had 37-40 mins of possession, with Landry out, looked pretty damned good.

Good article, but about 1.5 years too late IMO.

You know, it's interesting. Maybe just to me. Gonna share anyway. I was talking with my Dad about all this yesterday and it hit me that I am actually more impressed with Gibbs as a leader reading this article. As Skins FTW said, Gibbs had two idiots to contend with, one of whom was acquiring his players and the other was interfering with everything. And Gibbs still managed to take us to the playoffs twice in four years, much more success than we have had in any time in the last twenty years. Indeed, if Stone Hands could catch...

Anyway, you can argue with Gibbs' offense or play calling, or even player acquisition (assuming he had some input if not control) during his second tenure here. And granted it is four years now since he was here, but how many players are leftover from his second tenure? Not many. Shanny started the sweeping process pretty quickly, and accelerated it this off season. I fully admit to being fully in the tank for Gibbs, and it irritates me when I see negative things said him, even justifiably, but the fact that he won with the three ring circus he worked in, is remarkable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.