• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Washington Names Julie Donaldson As VP of Media

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
July 21, 2020

WASHINGTON NAMES JULIE DONALDSON AS SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT OF MEDIA

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – Washington announced today they have named Julie Donaldson as Senior Vice President of Media. She takes on the role effective immediately.

“Julie Donaldson is a trailblazing journalist who has worked on multiple award-winning shows and has a passion for sports in the DMV. She has contributed countless hours of her time to work alongside Tanya and WOW (Women of Washington) to help raise awareness for breast cancer. She has been a staple in the community and I can’t think of anyone better to lead our organization’s in-house media and content into this new digital age.” said Owner Dan Snyder.

Donaldson will be overseeing the entire broadcast operation in the organization along with being a permanent member of the gameday radio broadcast. She will also be adding her input and vision towards all of the club’s in-house creative content.

“It is with great humility and sincere appreciation that I accept this new role. This is a challenge I’ve been preparing and working towards for nearly 20 years in sports media, including the last decade in Washington. I am excited to join the organization as we begin a new era and I look forward to working with my new colleagues in making it stronger than ever. I also want to thank Dan and the Washington Organization for trusting me with this tremendous opportunity,” said Donaldson.

Donaldson will be the first female to be a regular on-air member of an NFL radio broadcast booth according to NFL Research.

Terry Bateman, Chief Marketing Officer, remarked, “I couldn’t be more pleased to welcome Julie to the team. Julie is not only an accomplished media professional, she has an exciting vision of where she wants to take our team’s media and content properties. I look forward to working with her to make them a reality.”

During a decade-long tenure as a reporter, anchor and host for NBC Sports Washington (NCBSW),

Julie Donaldson has covered nearly every team, athlete and major sports story in the Washington, D.C., and Baltimore region, as well as across national and international sporting events.

Donaldson most recently served as host of NBCSW’s Emmy Award-winning NFL pregame and postgame shows and contributed regularly to its other football programs and coverage.

In addition to her work with NBCSW, Donaldson has also frequently held on-air roles for NBC Sports and NBC Olympics. She has held three Olympic assignments as a News Desk Host during the 2018 (PyeongChang) 2016 (Rio) and 2014 (Sochi) Olympic Games, and often serves as a weekend Sports Desk host for NBC Sports.

Previously, Donaldson hosted NBCSW’s live NBA gameday shows, and was an anchor and reporter for several NBCSW news, analysis and entertainment shows, including SportsNet Central, Training Camp Daily and Football Central.

Donaldson joined NBCSW in August 2010 after stops in some of the nation’s top markets, including Boston, New York and Miami. Most recently, Donaldson served as a sports anchor and reporter for Boston’s WHDH-TV (NBC). Prior to WHDH, she was as a reporter for SportsNet New York (SNY) for two years, including the network’s inaugural season.

Donaldson began her career in Miami where she held a variety of positions for FOX Sports, including FS Florida and FS South. She served as a reporter for FS Florida’s Sports Rap, hosted SEC and ACC men’s basketball shows for FS South. She contributed to national broadcasts as a sideline reporter for ACC Sunday Night Hoops.

Donaldson’s other television experience includes serving as a host and reporter for the Miami Heat’s “Heat TV,” providing pre-game and in-game coverage, and working as a producer and correspondent for Healthy Body, Healthy Mind, a program that aired nationally on PBS.

-WASHINGTON-

I feel so bad for Donaldson.

She doesn’t know what she is getting in to.

Unless Rivera really does have final authority in the building the culture of intimidation and humiliation won’t change because Snyder is still who he has always been.

It would be easy to view this hire cynically, but I'm going to try and be fair and celebrate it for what it is on its face, the hire of a very talented, qualified reporter who has earned the opportunity with her hard work in the DMV over decades. Most notable is that they are putting her front and center in the broadcast booth - an NFL first.

But the Bateman hire still looms large and we are right to wonder if anything has or will change without an ownership change.

The same Julie Donaldson who has been abused in a past relationship and even went to court over it. The same Julie Donaldson who was one of the first to tweet about this latest shenanigans. Can she even do football?

This is Danny again in his tone-deafness thinking this will make it all ok. Good Lord....

To be fair, she’s been covering DMV and other area sports for at least a decade,including the Redskins. Whether she was hired as a symbol that things ‘have changed‘ or not doesn’t really have much to do with her qualifications imho.

Not picking a fight - but what does her personal history have to do with anything? Are you saying Snyder hired her because of it? I'll bet every female sports reporter in America could probably, at some point or another, gone after someone for sexual harassment. Because seemingly, they ARE all harassed. Good for the ones who have said 'I'm not going to put up with it'.

Last edited:
She’s been covering DMV sports for at least a decade,including the Redskins. Whether she was hired as a symbol that things ‘have changed‘ doesn’t have much to do with her qualifications imho.

Not picking a fight - but what does her personal history have to do with anything? Are you saying Snyder hired her because of it?

I’m saying nothing he does shocks me any longer and I’ll perpetually question his motives as long as he owns this team.

I absolutely get that brother. I also wouldn't be surprised if Tanya Snyder didn't advocate for this hire, given her relationship to Donaldson as part of the WOW community.

It is hard not to be cynical, I just wouldn't drag Donaldson into it - she's just taking a well-deserved opportunity. Then again, as Bulldog said, God help her ... it's pretty difficult to believe that anything Snyder is involved with represents growth or evolution or improvement.

The same Julie Donaldson who has been abused in a past relationship and even went to court over it. The same Julie Donaldson who was one of the first to tweet about this latest shenanigans. Can she even do football?

This is Danny again in his tone-deafness thinking this will make it all ok. Good Lord....

My initial reaction was met with similar cynicism. I still have my curiosities because of the timing of the hire.

My feelings on that have a lot less to do with Donaldson than they do with Snyder. Donaldson has covered sports in major media markets, including Boston where the abuse situation you referenced happens. She's been in this market for 10 years and has been all around the Redskins for a lot of that. She's the host of the pre and post game shows that have won Emmy's, so I have no doubt she's qualified. I've heard that she will not be the 'play by play' voice of the team, but she will be a part of the gameday coverage. She will also be the one to hire that play by play person... which i'm happy about. I think she's 100000 times more qualified to make that hire than Snyder or even Rivera is.

She's got good content, and I think the organization is better now than it was yesterday. How we got here is up for whoever to decide, but she's absolutely qualified, and I think she's a good hire.

The skepticism is well-earned, it's hard not to be cynical as hell about anything Snyder does. I don't think he can redeem himself with me. If the organization became a model one and we win Super Bowls, I will believe it's in spite of Snyder, not because of him. He's burned that bridge with me for good. It's surprising though that there are still a lot of fans who want to give him the benefit of the doubt out there. You know - the stupid ones :)

It's like Mr. Carlson and Herb Tarlek run the Redskins.

Turkey drop at Thanksgiving this year?

My cynicism has nothing to do with Donaldson. I don't know her. I haven't lived in the area full time in over 30 years and my family has never really watched the local NBC station for news or sports. She is a blank slate for me.

Nope, my cynicism comes from the organization and the timing. This stinks of a business in the news for all the wrong reasons trying desperately to get into the news for what is perceived as the right reason and because of that, it comes with a giant asterisk that will take this woman years to lose (if she can lose it). Don't get me wrong, I think she had to take it when it was offered, but honestly, that just makes it suck all the more.

I hope she succeeds. I hope she is brilliant in this job for the next decade or more.

I also hope the world, and more importantly the NFL, sees this for what it really is - a too-late attempt to make an owner look better by trotting out the token hire of a female exec to combat a sickening public image that is beyond well earned at this point.

It's like Mr. Carlson and Herb Tarlek run the Redskins.

Turkey drop at Thanksgiving this year?
as God as my witness, I thought they could fly. that is a yearly tradition watch at my house.

It’s finally all starting to make sense now :)

The Snyder shuffle:

Fire Bruce and blame the last 10 years on him.

Hire Ron Rivera and then leave town to let him handle all team responsibilities.

Retire an Africa-American players jersey when BLM hits the streets and remove the Marshall name in the Ring of Honor.

Hire two high profile women, Wilkinson and Donaldson, when the sexual harassment scandal hits the press to deflect criticism.

The trouble with Snyder is he doesn’t think any of us can see him dancing 😆😆😆😆😆

The Rooney Rule? Really?

People want to find reasons to complain nowadays.

This team is under enough scrutiny now that no action taken is going to go unnoticed.

I suppose hiring women in roles traditionally held by males is not progress in re Fritz Pollard.

Again, another example of having a narrow focus in re progress.

This is the kind of scrutiny you get when you're a totally ****ed up organization. They have earned any/all negative attention they get.

With all of the sources that I follow to do the blog here and to write at RR, it makes sense for me to follow many of the Redskins beat reporters and anchors. Julie is obviously one of them. She is good and now it makes perfect sense as to how/why she was getting so many team scoops in recent months.

My only complaint about her is how fast she talks. I feel like getting out a stopwatch to see how many words she can say in a minute. I'm thinking 25,000 at a minimum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.