• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Washington Is The Rodney Dangerfield Of The NFL

Beetlejuice

Dogaholic
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
My son has become a true fan these past few years, and he's starting to see the lack of respect we always receive. His exact words to me were, "dad, how can everybody on ESPN and NFL network praise our defense so much and say we have the best line in the league, but when the power rankings come out we're 13 spots behind the team we just embarrassed?"

I had to tell him that's just how it is, and how it always will be. I told him even if we started of with 4 or 5 straight wins, we'd likely be nowhere near top 15 in power rankings. Why? Because rather than show respect for what our team did, they blame the team we beat for not performing well. The fact they didn't play well because we decimated them at the line means nothing. We aren't supposed to be good, so even if by some fluke we end up being good, it will never be accepted.

Then I said this is how it will always be to be a fan of this team. Don't put any stock in the power rankings. Dallas blew a game they were supposed to win, and they still tried to force them into the top 10. I like being the underdog, it gives you more leverage to talk shit when you win.

I don't care if we never get their respect.

Its funny; I feel like Andrew Dice Clay most of the time when I'm watching them.

I've actually always hated when we got too high in the power rankings. it always felt like the team set themselves up for a big loss and we would end up just barreling down the charts again anyways.

Just to show you HOW bad the power rankings are:

BSPN:
Cowbums: 12
Iggles: 16
Redskins: 24

Young had one of the best debuts of any rookie in Week 1. Young recorded 1.5 sacks, forced a fumble and had a quarterback hurry. He also played the run well, once splitting a double-team to emerge for a stop. Young's presence was felt whenever he was on the field. He didn't always have success, but he did make a big impact and helped set up others to make plays. It's not just his burst; it's also his balance. He'll be good for a long time. -- John Keim

NFL:
Cowbums: 10
Iggles: 17
Redskins: 23

The Football Team has arrived -- and its strength is a relentless pass rush that will be giving quarterbacks hell from now until the end of days. Washington had its way with the Eagles' beat-up offensive line, punishing Carson Wentz for eight sacks and forcing three turnovers in a 27-17 win. Chase Young, the No. 2 overall pick in April's draft, was a game-changer, finishing with four tackles, 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble as Washington wiped away a 17-point second-quarter deficit. It's unclear if this team will have enough offense to win consistently, but there's no doubt it has a defense that will keep it in -- and outright win -- games.

AP:
Cowbums: 12
Iggles: 15
Redskins: 25

At one point the Washington Football Team had a 7% chance of winning this game. Kudos to them for putting the comeback together. Chase Young showed why he was regarded as the best player in the 2020 draft.

You can't respect the obvious bias when the team that we destroyed is that much higher than we are with all the injuries they had and the loss.

I only saw the ESPN rankings so far, but we did jump up 7 places.

TBH, we were trash last year, and I think it'll take more than one good game against a beaten up Eagles to push us further up the rankings.
I'm keen to see what we do against 'Zona this week. I want to see if we can keep rolling the form over.

Honestly I don't expect us to necessarily beat them, they did just knock off the defending NFC Champs, but I think it'll be a nice test of where we are. If we can play that game competitively, maybe keep it at least close, then even if we lose we should see another jump.

Meantime, the Pokes and the Iggles did drop some places. I think the jury is out on whether it was just a bad week or injuries and if they'll bounce back.

Having said that... I've always felt that Washington were unfairly maligned at times in the national press, simply because of our name. Now that they don't have that excuse anymore, I'm hoping to see maybe a more balanced view.
Time will tell. :)

Until we have done it consistently for several weeks and beaten a team or two that is both healthy and considered upper third in the league, we really can't expect more than this. The team has shown flashes before and surprised top teams, only to fall apart for the next several games.

I know what I'd be saying today if Washington had been the favored team with a lot of injuries and got upset by a bottom dweller on opening weekend of a year with Zero pre-season, and I wouldn't be giving a lot of credit to the opposition.

I understand they base a lot on last year, but it shouldn't be as big of a factor as it is. I remember one season (can't recall which at the moment) we had won 3 straight, and Dallas had lost 3 out of 4 I believe (may have been 2 out of 3) but we only moved up 2 spots, and they only dropped one. And one of their losses was to us, and they were still higher than we were, it was ridiculous.

It isn't just last year though, is it? We are talking about over two decades of inconsistency. Even during Gibbs' return this team was Jeckel and Hyde.

And we all know there is a bias where the Cowboys are concerned. It isn't anything new and it isn't going away anytime soon. The media and the NFL WANT Dallas to be good and so the team often gets ranked accordingly, IMHO.

we are better than twenty. nothing at all says we shouldn't be ranked higher than that. Rivera as our coach alone gets us up to 20 at least.

it is also insulting that the team you just demoralized is that much further ahead than you. they have nothing right now. they are beaten, beat up, and looking lost.

It isn't just last year though, is it? We are talking about over two decades of inconsistency. Even during Gibbs' return this team was Jeckel and Hyde.

And we all know there is a bias where the Cowboys are concerned. It isn't anything new and it isn't going away anytime soon. The media and the NFL WANT Dallas to be good and so the team often gets ranked accordingly, IMHO.

That was my 1st thought. The Redskins have lacked credibility since the 2nd run of Joe Gibbs, and even then it was sparing. This is nothing new...and just because there is a new team in town, doesn't mean they will automatically be lifted to respectable.

We won 3 games last year and our offensive unit was last in the league. Defense underachieved. I think it’s going to take more than one great win to see our rankings move significantly and I’m surprised you guys would expect a sudden shift?

I think there is another thing to consider too. No one has ANY film on this defense with Del Rio calling plays and Chase lining up at DE. It was a total mystery to a Philadelphia playing with a lot of second or third sting guys on Sunday. This week the Cards will have 60 minutes of tape to examine before we take the field. By the time we get to our next Division game against the Giants there will be 5 hours of tape on this team for them to use to prepare. That is where we will start to see if this team has made a step up.

We won 3 games last year and our offensive unit was last in the league. Defense underachieved. I think it’s going to take more than one great win to see our rankings move significantly and I’m surprised you guys would expect a sudden shift?

In a vacuum, we're currently a top 15 team based simply on the film from Sunday.

The thing is, these are not done in a vacuum. They have built in bias even if media personnel claim objectivity. They also don't do power rankings on a week to week basis... they always take into account the previous weeks rankings. I'm sure they're internalizing the fact that they just can't justify a jump from 31 up to 15 or better so they shorten the jump even if it's not actually where they believe the team is in the scope of the teams in the league.

I would not be shocked to see us at 15, but I'm not surprised to see us as 23. If we can come out and find a way to win next week, which is going to be much more difficult than this past weekend, then we should absolutely be in that 15 - 19 range. Arizona just beat San Fran who is coming off a SB appearance. There is likely a level of SB hangover, but they're still a really good football team, even without Samuel.

To touch on this...even when the Skins won the division in 12 and 15, few gave them credit.

So while I agree the only way back to respectability is through winning...even then it will take sustained winning g seasons in Washington, especially with Snyder as the owner.

I bet dollars to donuts if Bezos can strip the team away from him, they get better press immediately.

They are also not done just on talent and performance alone. We all know the mediots have their favorites and who they always think can do good. They also know that putting out stupid lists causes conversations like this to happen.

As always, more than one thing can be true. We will not deserve to be ranked higher until we show we can do what we did on Sunday consistently. And some teams will always be overhyped and others have to work like hell for recognition.

Yeah, the power rankings are mostly a marketing tool for these networks. It generates clicks and conversation that has no actual meaning of what happens. Yes, performance on the field does matter, but what matters more is how much a ranking can drive discussion.

I don’t ever pay any attention to the rankings. Let’s face it, every year Dallas is going to sweep the division and go to the Super Bowl, ‘Danny Dimes’ is going to take the Giants to the Promised Land, and Wentz is Joe Montana. It’s always the same schtick. I don’t read it so it can’t puss me off. Revenge is a dish best served cold :)

The FT was one of the worst teams in league last year, so they were ranked near the bottom. They won a game and moved up a few spots. If they win another game they’ll move up some more spots. They win another game they move up more.

I think that’s ok.

I had this coversation with my son as well and I told him the only way to get respect is to win games. And keep winning them. If the FT wins 8 or 9 games this year, they’ll start higher in the rankings next year. I promise. 🙂

ESPN had us moving up from 31to 24 that’s no small jump and one of the larger Jumps. If we win next week I would imagine we jump up to 20,19, or 18

ESPN had us moving up from 31to 24 that’s no small jump and one of the larger Jumps. If we win next week I would imagine we jump up to 20,19, or 18
My issue isn't so much our rank, it's that we were ranked so much lower than a team we manhandled when they were projected to manhandle us. It reminds me of 2012. We had every reason to be ranked decently, but instead we were consistently ranked 15-20 almost all year. No matter how good we do, we get no respect. Personally, I'm ok with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.